• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire carrier

acon

Not sure if I posted this here or just on the facebook sites. I needed a way to carry a spare outside of the bed and didn't lime the idea of lowering a tire to the group d, then dragging g it out from u see the trailer then lifting it up to change it. This is much easier.
The reason it is so tall is to it can be on the ground d outside the plane of the tailgate so I can open it even if the tire is sitting on a mound of dirt, curb.....
I welded 2 receivers to the rear of the trailer so it can be used on either side. the 1/2" pin with red handle is just to stop the little bit of movement i have from the spring latch. the spring latch is more than strong enough to prevent an accidental lowering of the tire at 5/8" in diameter and it grabs a 1/4" thick tab. i'm thinking of welding an ammo can onto the tongue to hold a couple wrenches, a breaker bar, an extension and a 1-1/2" socket to change the tire if needed.
IMAG1595.jpgIMAG1593.jpgIMAG1589.jpgIMAG1588.jpgIMAG1576.jpgIMAG1583.jpgIMAG1581.jpg

Last edited:

acon

I also welded 2-2.5 x 1/4" sleeves to the front and a 2x2 1/4" block to the Jack so it can be stored out of the way and tight against a support under the trailer to prevent rattles and relocated to the tongue for lifting. Works great. the pictures of the jack leg are from before i drilled the holes for the 1/2" pin. same one with the red handle as on the rear carrier.

Last edited:

acon

Here's what the modified cover looks like with just the top bows into the stake pockets and snaps I stalled all the way around. They are stainless snaps from my boat canvas so they won't bleed onto the white paint. Strong enough to hold my little dinghy easily. My wife hates to admit that this $500 trailer has really come in handy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well executed Sir. They are quite a bargain for sure. Wish the 101 series was such a bargain. The only problem with the 105 is it's like dragging a pallet of anvils.

acon

although my fuel mileage suffers some, my truck pulls and stops it really well. i have upgraded my brakes but i feel stock brakes should do the trick nicely as well. if i'm loaded heavy, i leave plenty of room and plan accordingly but i have never thought (yet) i'm not going to stop.
i do have plans for a dexter or similiar axle with 8 lugs and i can run my old truck tires on the trailer and have 2 spares. i already have spare wheels for the truck so they will be matching. i will build another tire carrier for the other side with an opposite swing if needed for seriously long trips that way i will have 2 spares for truck and trialer but i have already planned on building the next one to rotate in a similar fashion but to the opposite side but also be able to rotate out away from the trailer to the rear so if i need to get into the trailer on the side of the road, i wont have to put a tire into traffic, it will rotate and then drop to the ground. hard to explain but 1/4" steel can take some serious weight without so much as a flex so it wont be a problem. immediately when i built this one i thought of how to make it better but it works really well, better than i imagined it would actually.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think.the Dexter axle would be a benefit in a bunch of ways. I've towed a ton of M105s with a Chevy truck and my old suburban and they always tow real nice.

acon

The only problem is that I enjoy the hand brakes and to get a Dexter with emergency brakes capable, it costs a fortune.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once again, we agree. Perhaps the solution could be an axle from an M101A2 or A3. They have hand brakes but sadly, are hydraulically operated. Cost of a new Dexter would far exceed the cost of the trailer.

acon

If I give up the handbrakes, I could put larger ammo cans on it for larger storage...and I could save about $400 on the cost of the axle.

Ford Mechanic

Be careful about adding so much weight to the tail of your trailer. To little tongue weight will cause it to fish tail. Looks great though!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

acon

Thanks for the compliment. I'm aware about load placement to keep wander away but with this trailer, I've never seen it. I loaded it with a thousand pound Marine engine tight up against the tailgate and nothing else in the bed and she tracked perfect. I've also put a couple thousand pounds of fresh maple with all the lower truck cuts specifically at the rear and it tracked straight then too. These m105's are amazing.

acon

New reverse lights. I think they will be bright enough.
I also installed snaps on the bottom of the bows and ran webbing tightly across the tops to keep the canvas from sagging so bad between them and holding water. We'll see how well it works.

OK, I'm on my phone and can't post pictures.....stand by

Last edited:

acon

20161001_194132.jpg20161001_154541.jpg20161001_154541.jpg20161001_194213.jpg
tough to see in the daytime pictures because i can't make them larger for some reason but they are on.
obviously the reverse lights i installed on my truck are brighter and spread more light but i needed something on the trailer and i think this fits it really nicely.
cheap LED strips from ebay that i bought for my boat but they are so bright i ended up only using 2 and had 2 left over.
next up, some 3/4" led marker lights so i can be seen on the road and then a rack for the trailer. lumber, ladders, camping stuff, whatever.

Last edited:

rustystud

That's a pretty slick idea, but you must be a strong young man to be able to lift up that tire . I see you just release the pin and let it drop but you have to stand up the tire and bolt it to the carrier then lift it up for it to be in it's stowed position. That's why I did the under the trailer idea with mine. I can drag the tire in and out and if I have to I use the 5 ft pry bar I have mounted in front of the trailer. I suppose you could use a "come-along" somehow. That might work.
Still it's a good idea !

acon

Thanks. It's actually easier to stand the tire up and roll it on it tread than it is to try to drag it when it's laying on its side on the ground under the trailer. We use the trailer for everything (utility, fire wood, camping, travel) because we have small children and my sister-in-law does as well, we vacation together at least once a year with a large extended family. My wife is always occupied with the kids so if I have to replace a tire, I will be solo. I did quite a bit of testing before making the carrier and decided on having the tire come down on its tread just for that reason. Lifting it is quite easy actually. I use the tread blocks to grab onto and lift it up just enough to slide my knee under the tire, then lift straight up. Pivoting makes it much easier than I thought it would be. The tire sits as high as it does because when on the ground I wanted it further away from the tailgate to allow full open for loading and unloading. To push it out that far, I needed to make it taller when stowed. On the come along comment, it was tested from the opposite reliever hitch (I welded 1 on each side) to the top of the post and it works although a bit cumbersome, it does work. If I'm injured I was concerned about being able to lift it. I also have plans for a strap winch that will work as well but right now this works well and isn't really a bother yet and I use the trailer at least every other week for something.

Last edited:

rustystud

Well I'm a busted up old fart and my back (which has a nice titanium rod in it ) cannot take the strain anymore. Neither can my knees. One has already been replaced and the other needs replacing. I can drag the tire though, and when needed the pry bar does the rest.
Now if you added a large spring or hydraulic ram or something along those lines then I could use your idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks