• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Chains- dual or single better?

Monster Man

I didn't see this topic transfer over so I reposted it:

[table cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0]
[tr ][td vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=silver colSpan=2]<TABLE height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0>

<TR>
<TD vAlign=top height="100%">[2]<SPAN class=spnMessageText id=msg>I'm now in the market for chains, but was thinking singles would be better, one on each outside rear tire would be better than one dual set on one axle right? Can you turn one dual set into two singles? Anybody got any spares they want to sell?
[/2][/td][/tr][tr ][td vAlign=bottom]<SPAN class=spnMessageText>
Lance Busch
Reno, NV
MVPA #28374
[/td][/tr][tr ][td vAlign=bottom align=left height=20]<HR noShade SIZE=1>
[1]Country: USA | Posts: 409[/1][/td][/tr][/table]</TD></TR>
[tr ][td vAlign=top noWrap width=100 bgColor=gainsboro]<SPAN class=spnMessageText>lacoda56
Private

<TD vAlign=top width="100%" bgColor=gainsboro colSpan=2 height="100%">
<HR noShade SIZE=1>
[/td][/tr][tr ][td vAlign=top height="100%"]<SPAN class=spnMessageText id=msg>Single chains on dual tires will only work for very light use. If you slip with the single setup, you end up spinning on the unchained tire. If you're planning on using single chains, run single tires.
[/td][/tr][tr ][td vAlign=bottom]<SPAN class=spnMessageText>Lacoda56
south-central Wisconsin
'43 cckw w/Leroi air compressor
'43 M5-H6 IHC w/Quickway crane
'57 M45 Utica Bend w/water purification body
'68 M54A2 Kaiser Jeep cargo
A pair of M135 and an M211 parts trucks
[/td][/tr][tr ][td vAlign=bottom align=left colSpan=2 height=20]<HR noShade SIZE=1>
[/td][/tr][tr ][td noWrap width="100%"]Country: USA | Posts: 15[/td][/tr]
</TABLE></TD></TR>
</TABLE>

Monster Man

and now for my follow up- can you EASILY modify 10R20 truck chains down to 9.00x20? Tire chains this time of year are scarce and I'll take what I can get.

thanks for any tips

Lance

deuce or die

I just took a bunch of crappy old chains for old pickups and modified them to fit. The chains I used would have been made for like 31-10.50's or so and it took one and a half chains to make one for the deuce. They fit 9-20's pretty good, they kinda fit the 10-20's I had on my truck, but they don't fit the 12.50 R 20 michelin XL's that I just put on. Also with the XL's, the tread void is just right so that the chain tends to lay in spots that are in the tread voids, make's em kinda useless.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks