• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire chains

Hello and how is everyone today. I'm getting my other deuce ready to go on the road and i want to get chains for the tires. This truck has the 9 x 20's on it and they are pretty horrible in the snow.
How many chaines is the truck supposed to have? 10 or 6? I am also interested in the Goodyear MVT tires. Will these fit the M35A3 wheel? I have a spare set of Michilin XL 14.5R20's but was not very pleased with them in the snow on my other truck. I'm considering the Goodyears after reading a post that was very up on the MVT's in the snow. I also have a Meyer HM9 plow i intend to put on the truck. Any input would be appreciated, metalworker393

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
6 or 10 chains. You can chain each tire, or find what is called "tri rails" for the rears. It is basically a chain that cover both rear tires with one chain.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tri rails, even for the puny 9.00X20 tires are heavy and you will be crawling all the way behind each of the inner duals to put them on....in the snow..at night...in a snowstorm. Are you going all out into steep terrain in deep snow? Then you should chain up all 10 and have a winch. Same if you put the chains on at the beginning of the snow season and take them off in spring - by all means, throw tri rails on.

Otherwise, single chains on the front and one set on the outer rear rears is plenty. The Deuce rears tend to lift the front tandem and press the rear one down when under load.
If you have the money, get a third set of single chains and throw them onto the other pair of outer duals. Single chains are much lighter than tri rails, easier to put on and give enough traction, especially on any sort of packed snow.
If you go the single chain route, I'd invest into diamond pattern chains, rather than ladder type. Unless I had to do something wild and crazy, I'd buy 2 pairs of diamond single chains. Where they and 6x6 don't give you traction, you probably should not be driving. My five cents.

wpzimmer

Tire chains

I have 2 pair of nos tri rail or Chains that fit over both tires and some that fit single tires if your interested.
av8oor,

I'm looking for chains too. I'll be in Ft. Meyers the 2nd or 3rd week in November and can stop by to arrange a cash for chains transaction if they're still available. You can PM me with details or email me at wzimmerman1@wi.rr.com.
Thanx. WZ