• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire chains?

MaiNiaK

I'm looking for opinions on running tire chains on my M1078. (I've also thought of studding my tires with 3/4 inch sheet metal screws, like they do on ice racing vehicles)

My biggest concern is the Allison md3070pt transmission. With 30% front axle 70% rear axle power or in mode 50/50 power distribution. Running just one set of chains on the rear, would this mess up my transmission? Or should I run front and rear chains to limit slippage to the front axle?

I packed our first real snow storm this year do to the large amount of ruts in our driveway. This smoothed the driveway out considerably so it's possible to drive my wife's car up the mountain.
Well Saturday we got a ton of rain which turned the whole drive to slush, then froze into a sheet of ice. I drove my truck down the mountain today and went for quite a ride. I was able to make it down but barely was able to stop before flying out into the road at the bottom, another considerably step grade running perpendicular to my driveway. I tried selecting the right gear to limit sliding but nothing seemed to help and touching the brakes made the rearend try to come around on me.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
William

MaiNiaK

Thanks, but I'm all set on a source for chains if I choose to go that route. Canadian chain is 30 minutes from my home and they custom make chains for all kinds of equipment, and I'd need cleated chains to climb my driveway.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the amount of torque, having just one set of chains could put on just one side of this style transmission? I'm not sure exactly how the 30% / 70% power split is accomplished, but I'm assuming the front output has some sort of toque converter or similar to make this happen. This is the part that scares me, not knowing what kind of stress this could have on the transmission, having the amount of grab cleated chains will provide.

Thanks,
William.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks