• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire chains?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:)
It was parked elsewhere during the snow fall and covered at the time.

You'd be surprised how warm it gets after the engine has been running for a while. The defroster didn't handle the windshield very well, though, that's why it's flipped open.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In mud, tundra, bog, not to mention snow & ice, chains are the way to go. Its a lot nicer to put them on, Before your stuck! There are lots of places, where I live, where there is nothing to tie a winch line too.

Military tires with the non directional tread are notorious for lack of traction on snow, ice and hardpac. Spinning out on a hill is not really so bad! Its sliding off backwards, especially with a trailer, that is hard on the seat cushions. A single tire chain on one rear tire, with duals, is not even smart or legal in most northern areas. On hardpack with a single on a dual, the axel spins, just a little, the chained tire creates a divet, and the inside tire holds up the chained tire - your still stuck.

If its slippery, chain her all the way around. 3-railers on the rear! Like I said - if its slippery... "all the way around"! You'll need singles on the front for steering. That front axel does a lot more work then one might think.

If your buying them new, get Campbells, or Weeds. If the the center rail has latch, replace it with a hook. The front singles can have just a hook on the inside, rather then a latch too. Its faster that way. It doesn't hurt to have at least one single on, if your dragging a trailer. That way it will track, rather then swing out into oncoming traffic, when you use the brakes.

On three railers - lay them out flat on the ground, outside up, then fold half of them over onto themselves. then pick them up by the inside rail & hang them neatly on about 4 hooks on the front bumper. When you want to put them on, again pick them up by the inside rail and lay them on the outside dual, then just flip over the other half, onto the inside dual. They are ready to hook the center rail FIRST, then the inside, then outside. Roll the truck a quarter turn, and adjust them for tight. I make hooks for the front bumper with half x two bar stock that just hooks over the front bumpers top flange with a tight bend & the weight of the chain holds them in place. They are nice & neat that way & not tangled! Plus they are relatively clean & not packed with snow or mud from the roadway.

Yes, when its slippery, there is nothing like being chained all the way around. Chains add a comforting dimension to traction!

Lee in Alaska

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rosco said:
Yes, when its slippery, there is nothing like being chained all the way around. Chains add a comforting dimension to traction!

Lee in Alaska
Agreed, having chains all around changes everything, it can easily handle 20% slopes with a foot of snow. The chains are self cleaning and the tires don't have to be aired down. Rubber bungy cords are necessary to keep the chains on correctly...

Elwenil

Agreed, an assortment of bungy cords is a good idea when dealing with chains. I don't put much faith in the little rubber bands that are sold for use with chains. I've had a lot of them break but luckily I was able to stop and check them before the chain came loose and ripped up some sheetmetal.

Another brand I have had good luck with is Peerless chain. I would look for surplus chains for MVs though, new chains are expensive, especially if you go for the reinforced V-bar style.

Lax

This is great guys! It looks like I will be getting two sets of GI chains for the rear from a surplus dealer. I already have a set of GI chains for the front. I just have to find them. Are the GI chains pretty good or should I go aftermarket? The GI chains are NOS and never used I believe. The GIs are three rail I believe. I have never used or put chains on except a little garden tractor for plowing the driveway. Any words of wisdom? I was thinking about two or three bungy cords per wheel but only on the outsides. Is that right? Thanks everyone! You guys have been great helps and I love hearing the real life stories when you actually HAVE to use chains. Sounds like fun.

Lax

SpruceDuce,
You are in luck. They are right around the corner from you. (Well not RIGHT around the corner). I may be getting them from Coleman's Surplus 360 Klinger Road Millersburg, PA 17061 1-888-478-7758

A nice day drive for you. But I would not want to do it in a duce... Ouch

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks