• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire chains

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have been looking for more info on the tire chains. I guess I am not very good at the search cause I'm not getting the results I'm looking for. Is there a sticky about how to find some, how to install correctly, maint, etc? I have found some on line and they are NOT cheap. I have also (I think) found some local used. What do I need to know when looking? Any pics? I saw a video of (I think) Bjorn putting his on while playing in the yard, but that didn't answer alot of questions. Thanks in advance.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GR,
Send an email to RandyLBarnes. He got his for about $50 per axle. I will grant you he picked them up locally, but maybe his will be cheaper than the $100 per axle, shipped.

Maybe not.

His go on quite easily. Maintenance seems to be minimal. Talk to Randy, as he has all the answers. He said once his chains were on, he felt his deuce could climb a wall. He didn't say HOW BIG a wall, but climb a wall none the less.

jim

Lax

Mike,
I have not forgotten that you have some stuff waiting for me. I have been real busy traveling all over the world this past month. I should be home and settled by mid December. When I catch my breath I'll visiting you in The General. Thanks!

BTN

I realize this is a very old thread, but the site directed me here after I posted a classifieds listing for tire chains for the deuce (I have way more than I need). I have several sets available for $90 +$19 shipping per pair (two chains). I plan on just putting chains on the outer tires for the rear axles and a pair on the front on my old deuce.

MDSA

BTN

I have heard that chains on only the outer rear will compromise the effectiveness of the chains. The tire spins and the chained tire (yes, free the tires) digs deeper than the inner. The inner then floats on top of he snow while the chained tire gets less traction due to the inner tire supporting the wight of the truck.

BTN

That sounds reasonable. We don't get that much snow here. Chains on the outers only should be better than none. I'm sure chains on both would work best. I wonder if chains on all 4 tires of one axle would work better than chains on outer tires only of both rear axles (using just two pairs on rears)?

Maxgussam

I put 3-rails on the duals, and chain up the steers. With 1500 lbs of wood in the bed, my deuce runs through as much snow as we ever get here, no problem.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you think these will fit 11.00 20's ?

I'd like 4 x three rails and two singles for a 5 ton.

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks