• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire chains

BTN

Apparently the military didn't use three rails. At least the pub only shows that one p/n for the 9.00x20 and another p/n for the 11.00x20. I may have a couple for the 11.00x20, at least they're bigger than all the others. I will try to measure them tomorrow and see if I can figure out what they are. I don't know if you could make the ones for the 9.00x20 fit with modification?

The description says the chains for 9's are 17.125" wide, so sounds like they may be wide enough, but I would at least use some of those spring chain adjusters if fitting them on the 11's. Some of the commercial chains list same p/n for 9.00x20 and 11.00x20, but they usually have some adjustment. Could possibly add some extra link or adjustment to these chains for 9's and make them work.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will try to measure them tomorrow and see if I can figure out what they are. I don't know if you could make the ones for the 9.00x20 fit with modification? .
Great - let me know when you find out.

Shame I just noticed this post - I was in New Bern last weekend! However, have a sister in law in Havelock so prob won't need shipping... Can do the family shuffle up the east coast!

BTN

These others may be for the super singles on the M35A3 since they were packed up with the other deuce chains. Just did a quick search and looks like the super single 14.5x20 are the same height as the 11.00x20 though. If that is what they are, may just be a bit wide. Anyway, I'll measure tomorrow and hopefully have a better answer with less speculation.

BTN

I did a quick look/measure this morning before work. Looks like I have some loose chains for the 11.00x20 mixed in. The ones still in the pack with labels for the 9.00x20 measure about 98"lx17"w. The others that I'm fairly sure are for the 11's measure 102"lx17"w. Both sets are about the same width, which matches up with other descriptions I have read. Definitely not wide enough for the 14.5 super singles. The longer ones are also a bit heavier. I'm not sure how many I have, but will take a better look this evening.

BTN

Well, I did some more looking, measuring, and searching online. Looks like I was wrong about the triple rails for MVs. I found one mixed in that is apparently for the 5 ton (11.00x20). Must have just not made them for the deuce since there is such a gap between the duals. Also, a description I found online for 5 ton chains said length was approx 112", 18" wide. The triple rail I have is 108.5, with the latch closed (like would be on the truck). If the latch is opened, it probably would be about 112". Also, they're just around 17" w per section (about 34" total).

Anyway, I probably don't have exactly what you need. I only made it through about 1/4 of the opened bags of chains I have (takes a minute to get those things back in the bag by yourself). I can keep looking and let you know if I come up with any more of the triples rails or others for 5 ton. The only other thing I could suggest is I throw in an extra chain to cut and add sections to the other chains to make them fit (add length with another cross section so you don't have a gap).

BTN

Well, I did some more looking, measuring, and searching online. Looks like I was wrong about the triple rails for MVs. I found one mixed in that is apparently for the 5 ton (11.00x20). Must have just not made them for the deuce since there is such a gap between the duals. Also, a description I found online for 5 ton chains said length was approx 112", 18" wide. The triple rail I have is 108.5, with the latch closed (like would be on the truck). If the latch is opened, it probably would be about 112". Also, they're just around 17" w per section (about 34" total).

Anyway, I probably don't have exactly what you need. I only made it through about 1/4 of the opened bags of chains I have (takes a minute to get those things back in the bag by yourself). I can keep looking and let you know if I come up with any more of the triples rails or others for 5 ton. The only other thing I could suggest is I throw in an extra chain to cut and add sections to the other chains to make them fit (add length with another cross section so you don't have a gap).

rustystud

Travis, do you still have chains for the 9.00X20 tires left ? If so can you PM me and let me know what it would cost to ship them to Woodinville, WA. Thanks Greg.

Hainebd

Chains are hard on everything from tire, drivetrain, ground, and road. Or rember putting chains on the single rear axle whites for north penn and drivers taking them off in the driveway going out. Those that did not would be towed back with all kinds of drivetrain failures or I run out to fix a tire or clean up fuel spill. Using chains off road is just not proper. Tread lightly, do no damage to the environment. With that said if you chain right and drive sense ably they can get you to where you want to go. Yes I have chains. Yes you can make any chain set work by lengthiness or shortening. If you buy new get the ones with 4 cams to tighten. Also if you want real tight deflate tire then install then inflate tire. This works well with cam type. The springs do not keep the chains tight enough.

rmgill

Tread lightly yes. But if having chains is a difference in traction or sitting there and spinning and digging in deeper, what precisely is the difference?

rmgill

Robb, that's just distracting. What could one possibly learn from that video other than the fact that pink hair can be quite interesting?

rmgill

I kept my chains tensioned with heavy Rubber bungee cords across the outside of the tire. That worked fine around Atlanta 3 years ago when we had snow and ice.

Hainebd

Thats dangerous. DO NOT do that unless you have a death wish.
Yes it can be dangerous, so can running chains loose. Driving in ice and snow is dangerous so don't chain up and stay home.

put chains on with tire properly inflated. Let air out till one link can be taken up, if one link not possible, twist chain 1/2 time, only on outside link for singles. Inflate tire till chain is just tight. Tire will grow when driving. At no point should you exceed tire rated pressure keeping in mind condition of tire.

never exceed 15 mph with chains on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks