• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire change with bed hoist/crane

3dAngus

I'm figuring 'the shovel method" means;

-leveraging the tire up on the tip of the shovel, working the fulcrum of the shovel heel, with the handle as the lever.

Have I got that right? Got a picture of that maybe?
I cannot honestly say what it means, specifically, but I did read this yesterday and today, I had a need.
I moved a 1500 cement mixer from one trailer to a M105A3, with the big tall tires. Big difference in the height, and as I was working alone, I had a lot of work to do. I removed the tires completely off the M105A3 and lowered it down to the hubs on the ground.
I almost got them both level with each other, and moved the mixer from one to the other. Then, I had to put those big ole ugly tires back on, sore back and all. I remembered Doghead's post about the shovel, and wa-la. No back busting work at all. It was harder to lift the hydraulic jack with that 3000 pounds on it.
The shovel makes a great tool for giving a tire a couple inch lift. Perfect leverage. I would recommend, for safety's sake, you find a shovel that is more rugged then this 20 year old woodie.

By the way, that tire was just a one hand easy lift. It weights out more then the deuce 9X20s.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunner0311

We will be modifying the crane with a longer boom, so that we can lift larger items and then swing the crane inboard and lower the item into the cargo box.

Here are photos of mods to t he M52A2, with the 5th wheel and then installing the M35 cargo box: P1010464.jpgP1010466.jpgP1010467.jpgWe left about 22 inches between the toolbox and the cargo bed to bolt the crane to
the frame rails.

cx65083

I'm looking at putting a 1000 lb crane/hoist in the bed of an M923 on both sides to help with 52" tire changes. I want to place them between the 2 rear axles on passenger and driver sides. Since the tires are very heavy I want to use a crane to lift the spare out of the mount behind the cam and line it up with the hub. To lift the tire I'd use either a basket strap or tongs since the rims don't have any holes to thread a chain through and I want to line up the hub. Suggestions? I'm looking at this crane.
1st off. paying for TWO cranes and mounting them on either sides will work out GREAT... for moving your heavy tires on the back of your truck. Wont do JACK for the heavy tires on the front axle! Save some money. Buy ONE crane to help lower/lift the tire from the bed to the ground. I use a hydrolic bottle jack and adjust the height of the hub. I then roll the tire into position and wiggle into place. Having a "soldier B" really does help. But when your the only "soldier" available to help change a tire you get used to doing it one-manned.
This is a good crane more than capable of lifting a heavy 16.00 tire out of the bed and beck up into the bed. I have almost the same crane. It's like that, but with a heavy duty boat winch along with the bottle jack. I drilled holes and mounted it in the rear of the bed on the drivers side thinking I could see to back up to whatever I wanted to lift. But if you look at the crane, the controls hang off the side of the truck while your trying to winch up whatever your lifting. Oops. Should have hung it on the left side! Awkward, to say the least. Also, on the crane shown as mine, the handle to rotate the crane is also on the right side and therefore hang off the side of the truck if you mount it on the driver side.
Good crane. But just get ONE and mount it on so you're standing in the bed to operate it!

For what its worth, noticed Harbor freight had 1 ton chain hoists on sale for 50 bucks.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't buy a $50 crane and try to lift a heavy super single with it. At best you'll ruin it. At worst it'll break and hurt/kill/mame someone!

TacticalDoc

back.jpgI got 1 crane and 3 base plates. I replaced the bolts with grade A bolts. I'll put one plate on each side of the truck and one on the front bumper. Then move the crane where I need it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks