• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire changing problem....

dm22630

I changed the front 2 tires on my deuce with ZERO problems with my impact gun running off the emergency air line on the rear.

So one of my outer rear tires is FLAT....and I went to change it today. 3 lugnuts came right off......3 of the came halfway unscrewed & then unscrewed the lugcaps off the studs. The tire is now off the truck with 3 lugnut/lugcaps still in the holes.

How do I fix this?

I sprayed both sides with PB Blaster, and sprayed the hub with the 3 that stayed with PB Blaster also. So they are soaking as I am writing this.....

Thanks!

steelandcanvas

Re: RE: Tire changing problem....

dm22630 said:
If that doesnt work......is my only other option to grind them off from the rear & buy some new ones??
Not to worry, that should work. When you put it all back together, put a little never-seize on the threads. Oh boy, I'm gonna catch Hell for that suggestion.

m35a2cowner

Nuts!!!!!

There is something called a Pork Chop which is sort of a glorified cut off end (box end) of a open end and box end wrench. There is the box end and about 2-3 inches of a shaft. I have one (Mac Tools) but have never, yes I just knocked on wood, had to use it. I think the shaft and box end hold the nut against the rim while you turn the stud so that it goes down through the nut. The important thing here is to have the have proper tool to fix the problem the problem will never occur out of fear of the fix. Forget the tool and it will be pitch black snowing, hailing, sleeting, and raining while your in the wrong side of town when you need it.

dm22630

What is the correct tool to use to remove those square headed lug caps? I tightened the 3 that were on the lugs with a wrench (13/16 I think)....but is that really good enough to hold them on? Or will they tighten correctly when I impact the lugs back on?

dm22630 said:
What is the correct tool to use to remove those square headed lug caps? I tightened the 3 that were on the lugs with a wrench (13/16 I think)....but is that really good enough to hold them on? Or will they tighten correctly when I impact the lugs back on?
They make the proper square socket for these. Go to your local big rig shop, or napa and get one. they sell them in 3/4" and 1" drive. Tigten it back down to proper specs. Just another "special" tool to have around for these things.

m35a2cowner

Studs

I bought a square drive socket from NAPA. Running the stud through the nut with the impact should free it up enough to screw it the rest of the way out. If I am not mistaken you should tighten the inner wheel, via the studs, to the proper torque then install the outer rim and torque the nuts. When having any tire work done at the friendly neighborhood truck tire dealer I am always out there watching and asking any questions I can think of. Heck its just getting the most out of what your paying for. Most tire guys don't mind talking to someone other than the guy grunting and a groaning trying to fix some sort of tire abomination in the next stall. You can also see many death defying feats, such as starter fluid and a match to seal a tire bead or flaming tire patches. Its an art form, just keep your distance.

dm22630

Offroadfabworks said:
They make the proper square socket for these. Go to your local big rig shop, or napa and get one. they sell them in 3/4" and 1" drive. Tigten it back down to proper specs. Just another "special" tool to have around for these things.

So do I get a 13/16 square impact socket? Do they have them in stock?

What do I torque them to?

Thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Tire changing problem....

The square socket can be a Godsend. I have several of the combo sockets but I always travel with the 13/16 square and a standard 1 1/2" socket. I've had this happen to me several times. Some I've been able to put back on and then heat the nut getting it off. Others I wasn't so lucky. I've ground them off and torched them off. If you discover the problem on the truck the geared wrench works great, it's a PITA off the truck.Porkchops work best on the truck. Cheapest way out is a pork chop and the 13/16 square.

dm22630

RE: Re: RE: Tire changing problem....

I cant seem to find a "porkchop" anywhere on the internet....

Does anyone have a link to the one I need or a picture?

Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Tire changing problem....

dm22630 said:
I cant seem to find a "porkchop" anywhere on the internet....

Does anyone have a link to the one I need or a picture?

Thanks!
A search for "porkchop" here on SS will get you a picture of a porkchop. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....s=0&postorder=asc&highlight=porkchop&start=40

Try a search for "budd socket" too.

btw, I just did a Google search for "porkchop tire" and the seventh result is a link for a tire supply place with porkchops for sale. Think, key words when searching google or SS!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks