• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire chirps

aaron1009

I noticed the other day that during tight turning on asphalt with my hubs free and in 2H, I'm getting a little bit of tire chirp. From my understanding this would be normal in 4H with my hubs locked, but this is not the case.

Is this indicative of a problem?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tires on my M1028 chirp every time it shifts if I am turning even slightly.

I've always imagined this was because of the locker.

aaron1009

The tires on my M1028 chirp every time it shifts if I am turning even slightly.

I've always imagined this was because of the locker.

With the hubs unlocked, the differential is supposed to be open. This would allow both wheels to spin independently of one another, thus making no chirps. The rear end is a gov-lok which only locks when one tire slips. The rest of the time it's open as well.

I could almost pass it off as the rear end bucking for some reason, but my untrained ear tells me it's the front.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a by product of the Detroit NoSpin. Try to coast through corners and you won't hear that.

aaron1009

It is a by product of the Detroit NoSpin. Try to coast through corners and you won't hear that.
Yeah, no noises at all through corners or 99% of daily driving. I was just curious as to why it would chirp in (what sounds like) the front if my hubs were unlocked. I may be mistaken and be hearing chirps from the rear end. Kind of doubt it though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, I guess we should have asked this first. Is this an M1008 or M1009. If it's an 09, you may have a problem. Sometimes the hubs don't unlock when you turn them and you may have a faulty hub.

USAWEAPON777

yeah the m1008's and other trucks chirp from the detroit. however with the m1009 having the gov lock. I've never heard of a gov lock chirping the tires so you should probably look into it.

aaron1009

Worth mentioning that I have a little bit of grease around the hat where the hub seams up past the wheel. Probably need to just get a couple hub rebuild kits and clear my plans for next weekend.

:neutral:

DieselBob

From personal experience I would drain the rear differential and add 1 bottle of “GM Performance #1052358 Friction Modifier” and refill with lube of you choice. In both my 85 K5 blazer and 89 V1500 jimmy with the same GovLoc they would start to chirp when turning about every 50K~60k miles. Worked good for 275K+ miles on the blazer and 350K+ on the jimmy. My 2cents

rlwm211

In my experience around the type, in particular Blazers and other solid axle front end GM products of the same era, I have found that it is quite normal for the front tires to 'chirp' when you make a sharp turn.

In saying sharp, I am saying turned all the way to the lock, or very near it.

I believe it is a product of the Geometry of the front end, including caster and camber as well as the angles the knuckles turn to both inner and outer on a turn..

If I am not mistaken, the 1009 is equipped with the same front end as most civilian pickups, suburbans and Blazers and I know this is very common occurence for that front end.

Just my two cents.
RL

Last edited:

67_C-30

In my experience around the type, in particular Blazers and other solid axle front end GM products of the same era, I have found that it is quite normal for the front tires to 'chirp' when you make a sharp turn.

I believe it is a product of the Geometry of the front end, including caster and camber as well as the angles the knuckles turn to both inner and outer on a turn..

If I am not mistaken, the 1009 is equipped with the same front end as most civilian pickups, suburbans and Blazers and I know this is very common occurence for that front end.

Just my two cents.
RL
Agreed!

1stSarge

Mine does kind of a rubbing sound under the same conditions, tight turns, slow speed, kind of sounds like a tire is lightly rubbing the fender but not that loud, barely noticeable. Is this normal too?

ehuppert

Would also check the front axle u-joints.... My 08 started binding on slow sharp turns (hubs unlocked). I would think you'd feel the binding in the wheel, but, doesn't hurt to check....

Eric

jbingvtx

Just my two cents.
RL

I concur...check your tire pressure too, low pressure will make the squeek more prominant.