• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire choices for M818

Rgdl

So it looks like I'm close to making a deal on an M818.

I'd like to get 16.00-20s for it. What choices are out there in this size, and does anyone have any brand preferences. 100dollarman advertises Goodyear AT A2 as well as Michelin XZL.

I've been told 16.00-20s are getting hard to find. Any truth to this?

I have seen several pics of these trucks with 16.00-20 as well as with 14.00-20, and I have read all the debates between the two sizes. I think both sizes look great. I'm considering the larger tire because I don't foresee myself towing heavy loads, I'll likely bob the truck later and this should improve overall performance, and I live on the Prairies - there isn't a hill with any measureable grade anywhere near me.:-D

M1075

Even 14R20s can be too much tire for M809 series trucks. I highly recommend you take a look at 395/85R20 or 15.50/80R20 tires. 16R20 is a lot of tire for M818.

Alredneck

Banned
395s would be the most ideal! 1400s are not that bad but 16s kill the power. Radials are way better than bias on the big trucks! Get some pics when you figure it out!:-D

Scout

I just mounted 14's on my M813 (search my post for pics). I think they fill the huge front fenders nicely and don't look too big in the rear (I hate the way 16's almost touch on tandem rears). They keep more of a stock, yet capable appearance. I just hauled a 12-ton load, and learned where to shift the x-fer case from high to low to keep the load moving. 16's are cool and huge, but they are a power-killer and make turning tough with all that rubber on the ground. I would like to hear from someone running 16 rubber and hauling weight over the road - I can't imagine too many guys are.

Still waiting to see pics of 14x20 duals. I may seriously be strapping on some chains soon - planning to hit the woods and let the M813 play skidder.

Andy1234

Thanks andy, thats what i was looking for. What kind of speed increase did you get and how is the ride compared with the stock 11.00x20 tires?
Speed increase was approx 10-11 mph, so I was easily able to go 60 mph on the highway w/ the 14.00's (kept it right around 2100-2200 rpm). Also, w/ the 14.00's, I don't lose near as much power when climbing hills like the truck with the 16.00's does.

The ride will depend on what pressure you run them at. Originally, I had them set at 90 psi. After I shrank 2" from my spine compressing as the seat bottomed out over every bump, I lowered them down to 35 psi...

It now rides like a Cadillac...a loud, big, desert tan Cadillac :-D!

I've had (2) trucks w/ 14.00's now, the first had the michelin XL's on it, and the tan one (in the picture, on the right) has Goodyear's on it. Overall ride quality is about the same, but I like the look of the XL's better.

Andy

M1075

I maintain a consistent 60 mph in my M818 with 395/85R20 tires. 14R20 tires should yield a few mph faster (at least on the flats and downhill runs). With 16R20 tires you could hit 70mph.

Alredneck

Banned
14.5s are roughly the same height as 11.00s but a lot wider and will fit on HEMMT wheels no problem. Im not sure how narrow a tire you can go cause aint the HEMMT wheels 10in wide?
14.5s, 395s, 14s, 16s in order from lil to big will all fit on HEMMT wheels no problem M1075 has wheels at his place. Woody and me bought 14 from him earlier this year and have had no problems. Andy also has the valve stems to make them work.

Andy them some the tire I brought ya? Looking good!:-D

Alredneck

Banned
We bid on the Camp Shelby contract. Apparently they extended the bidding a couple extra days, so we will see. I give ya a call if something comes up!

98hd

Greetings. New Guy here.
Here's a link to a place that I've been to (in Wisconsin). They sell reconditioned MV's. I'm in the market for a 5-ton. I like what they have for sale now. All in really nice condition to start with. And all of them are on 16.00X20's. On their website, they sell new and used tires and rims. Hope it helps..........
Military Trucks, Wheels & Tires for sale - Oshkosh Equipment Sales, LLC

~Stomp~ :-D
FYI: there is a guy in Marshfield that is cheaper on wheels/ tires. PM me if you want info.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have any photos of a m818 on 395s?

I was thinking of going with civilian tires on mine or radials. I'm going to need tires soon as all this heavy hauling is really wearing down the NDTs and they weren't the best when I got the truck.