• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire explosion suggestions.

bozozimbo

I was mowing the backyard today and out of my rear garage was a huge explosion. No sh*t...it scared me for just a minute. It sounded like a 105 blast simulator.
I ran over to the garage... the ten foot rollup was up and looked in.....no fire, lots of dust. I couldnt for the life of me figure out what let go....until I looked at the right rear outside tire on my duece. The darn thing was split all the way from one bead to the other at 11 oclock.

I aired the tires up a couple weeks ago and I am positive beyond a shadow of a doubt I didnt put over 50 lbs in.....I have a bad back and its hard to kneel for too long....so over airing isnt a problem.

Anybody got any ideas ? The tire is an NDT Denman.....not even weatherchecked either.

Jimbo

Dieselsmoke

I had a wheelbarrow in the back of a pickup one hit summer day. Sitting in the house eating lunch and boom, couldn't for the life of me figure out what shook the house...until I went out and saw the wheelbarrow tire. Guess it got hot enough in the sun. I couldn't imagine a deuce tire blowing like that thin wheelbarrow tire though. Glad nobody was hurt!

ojsdna744

Meteor strike? :roll:

Seriously, my first guess would be a weak spot/pinch in the tube? If you recently aired them up, a wrinkle/pinch in the tube could have let go? Sure glad you weren't airing up the next tire in line when that one decided to let go! :shock: New undies to the rear garage please!

bozozimbo

The tube couldnt have done this damage. The tire is shredded from the inside rim to the outside. Its only 60' here today and its not sitting in the sun.
The only thing I can guess is there was a flaw and it picked today to let go.
I'm glad no one was behind the truck....it may have caused injuries. I was 50' away mowing and I felt the blast.

Jimbo

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the date code. That may give you a hint as far as the reason.
I have had a couple of tires let go over the years, but nothing like an explosion, just a very loud hissing sound.

bozozimbo

cranetruck said:
Check the date code. That may give you a hint as far as the reason.
I have had a couple of tires let go over the years, but nothing like an explosion, just a very loud hissing sound.

I'm gonna change the tire out tomorrow...got a pile of Berg tires.....so I will get the date code and post it.
Good idea Bjorn.

Jimbo

jasonjc

I was on a jobsite oneday and had the thing happen to a road grader that was park for days one of the tries just blew up. And a spare tire for my flat bed trailer let go a big pice of tread and belts but was still holding air (70lbs). Had to cut the vale stem off vere carefully didn't want to get to close. As for dates/date codes some of my M135 have tire that 30-40 year old and are still hold ing air just fine.Won't drive down the road with them but they have air in them.

bozozimbo

jasonjc said:
I was on a jobsite oneday and had the thing happen to a road grader that was park for days one of the tries just blew up. And a spare tire for my flat bed trailer let go a big pice of tread and belts but was still holding air (70lbs). Had to cut the vale stem off vere carefully didn't want to get to close. As for dates/date codes some of my M135 have tire that 30-40 year old and are still hold ing air just fine.Won't drive down the road with them but they have air in them.
I got the new tire on the wheel and was installing it on the truck when I noticed the metal mudflap and both the brackets next to the tire that blew were bent at a 45 degree angle. The power that thing had was enormous.

My next door neighbor mentioned something I hadnt given any thought to. If the rollup door was down it probably would have blown out my windows in the garage. Thank goodness for small favors.

Anyway.....the date on the tire that blew was 7-93....the one I replaced it with is a 1978 BF Goodrich

Jimbo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks