• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire fix...tube ?'s

RandyMcB

I have a 395 tire that I am using on one of Zack's ( donkeydonk) wheels. Which I believe are 5 ton with deuce centers welded in. The tire has a pin hole in the side wall and the tire shop is concerned about trying to patch a side wall. We may try to patch it and run a tube, but because of the size of the valve stem hole in the wheel we are not sure if the reg radial tubes will work.
Any one ever succesfully repair a sidewall? And exactly what tube size and flap size should I use with this tire wheel combo ( 395/85/r20 and a 10x 20 wheel ) I have read many different threads but none I came accross dealt with this issue, so I appoligize if this is a redundant thread.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most tire shops would never repair a sidewall. They don't want the liability when it fails, and chances are, it will. Since it is a pinhole, and if you can do it yourself, what have you got to lose, a simple patch will fix it, but I'd have a spare tire ready to go if the tire fails down the road.

Just warning you now, more often than not, tires with sidewall damage usually let go in very explosive fashion at speed. Just so you know...

DAS

All of the above is right.....Now if you want to save the tire fore some use,buff the pin hole area good and use a big tire patch,not a 1in x 1in little one,good glue and patch it right......when I say big I mean a 3x3 or 4x4 in patch. pin hole in center. Now dont over load the tire or run it soft.......Should last a while.........DAS

Haggar

Many commercial truck places will repair sidewalls, especially if its a pinhole. They can revulcanize big patches, actually. Check the yellow pages for a place that does recapping & repair...

RandyMcB

They sent my tire out to their re-cap place and it was "sectioned" and repaired, as of this time the tire/wheel have been holding air, I will keep you informed as to how I make out with this fix. so that anyone with a small hole in the side wall of a tire can use for reference.
Thanks for all the help ( as usuall)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did tire repair for many years before and part time after joining the Nvay. I would NEVER repair a sidewall let alone on a split rim. It is not remotely worth it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
This is not on a split rim, it will be fine. I had a tire with a slice in the sidewall. When properly repaired it was fine.

Kohburn

information I found on the subject

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/51362-would-you-drive-3.html#post586012

SIDEWALL REPAIRS
A few years ago the International Tire and Rubber Association conducted a research study on the strength of sidewall repairs in radial truck tires. Radial truck tires with injuries 4" long and 3/4" wide were repaired, x-rayed, and subjected to increased pressure until they burst.

From the results the International Tire and Rubber Association (now known as TIA) concluded that properly repaired sidewall injuries have a strength equal to that of the surrounding tire body and provide a safe performing product for the transportation industry. Copies of this research project are now available from the Tire Industry Association/TIA, Box 37203, Louisville, KY 40233, Telephone: 800/426-8835, E-mail: info@tireindustry.org
to properly repair a sidewall puncture you have to not only patch it but also inject the hole with vulcanizing compount to keep contaminants from getting to the ply's causing cord damage and delamination.

Gunner0311

P.S. If you are worried, have the tire shop put a tube in it. We run 395x20s on my mud racing
truck with tubes and 15 pounds of pressure, and no worries about pinholes or small cuts.....:driver: