• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire pickup from Chambersburg delivered to Nassau County Long Island, NY

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Purchased 6 deuce tires likely loaded on 2 skids at Chambersburg.
I will probably make the trip to get them but figured it might be worth asking if anyone else is picking up anything there and bringing it back to Nassau County?
Maybe my stuff can hitch a ride along for a reasonable price.
Have a loading dock, forklift, pallet jacks etc. available at drop-off location.

reset2

How did the load out go. Were you happy with the tires?
Pickup at warehouse or field?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a shipping guy I found thru the service that Govplanet has. It worked out OK. Wasn't cheap but saved me the trip over there. They tack on a pretty good charge for their services but once you find a guy you can avoid all that.

Guys name is Blaise. 615-389-4590. Best price I could easily find. Sets up loads for all kinds of stuff coming out of these surplus location.

Tires were good can't complain. Four out of 6 were new tires on what looked like new rims. All of them held air. Two of them had water in them but no big deal.

fasttruck

If they have water in them that implies they were flat and somebody put enough air in them to get out the door.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be the case. All the tires were deflated when I recieved them. Personally I think they were left out in the rain this way and water sits on the rim and gets in the split area.

I am by means no expert on this.

Truck came with a bunch of crappy spares when I bought it. Most were deflated and probably 4 had water in them. So far every tire I inflated slowly, water was forced out, and they stayed full for over a year since. Pretty sure that there will be moisture trapped in them still which is bad but maybe not as bad as being full of water.

I store them inflated standing up covered with a tarp outside. Good ones in the shed. If I have to leave any uncovered I leave them standing up so the water doesn't really have anywhere to pool. Also I try to leave the valve stem on the top.

fasttruck

If there has been a lot of water in the tire/rim the problem will surface when you go to dismount the tire. This because a ridge of rust will form on the rim under the lock ring. This in turn makes it difficult to drive the bead of the tire down far enough to get the lock ring off. And once the lock ring is finally out of the way the next problem will be to get the tire and tube to separate from the rim. Tire shops have a basket like devise to elevate the tire off the floor so you can beat it down with a hammer.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for this information. I have not yet tried to break down one of these tires. I have the tools and hopefully an old timer neighbor can help me and give out some pointers.

Based on the way the spare rims I received were rusted I figure they will be a very hard time to break down and maybe just scrap at this point. Was happy to see these surplus rims looked to be in good shape.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks