• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire pressure

walkerbzz11

The former owner of my M1008 lifted the truck 4 inches and put 37x 12.50 16.5 tires on it. I believe what comes on a hmmwv. What air pressure should be in these tires when placed on a cucv? Also, what if any, added strain is put on my truck because of these modifications? Thanks.

Barrman

You get to be the test pilot on that one. Loaded to the gills I would suggest putting the tires at the pressure the side of the tire says is max. Running empty that will have you bouncing off the ceiling and your teeth getting rattled out.

The rear tires are going to be whatever psi you are comfortable with running empty. Probably between 30-40 on pavement.

You can treat the fronts the same. I like to find the line between the steering wheel feeling 1 finger light at 50 mph and feeling full hand heavy. Probably in the 34-39 range depending on your alignment and condition of the parts.

Off road depends again on what you are doing and how fast you are trying to go. The lower the psi the smoother the ride and the better the grip. Until somewhere in the mid to low teens. Then your tire will come off the bead and you will be stuck.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you put them at full pressure on a lighter truck than the HMMWV you will have a rough ride and wear out the tire tread center a bit faster
For that truck I would try 40psi and see how she does. I run 50psi on my M998 as it smooths out the vibrations on the highway (need to have the tires rebalanced) and steers a bit easier and I have not noticed any unusual wear. My tires are MTRs.

Just my .02 cents.

Mark

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I ran into is I had a really slow leak in one of my tires and would not notice it looking at it until it was down to about 10psi. Not good so I purchased the little tire valve caps that show green at 50lbs and above and red at about 45lbs. Tgey come in all kinds of pressures. Great peice of mind.

Mark

Tire valve pressure caps

walkerbzz11

Ok. I can't find the recommended pressure on the side wall. I'll just trial and error it for a bit. What do you all think about it being lifted? I mean it looks cool as can be but Ive never been one to modify something that was built by someone a lot smarter than me. Thanks

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. I can't find the recommended pressure on the side wall. I'll just trial and error it for a bit. What do you all think about it being lifted? I mean it looks cool as can be but Ive never been one to modify something that was built by someone a lot smarter than me. Thanks

What tires do you have and what shape are they in? As I said I personally would try 40psi for your truck.

Mark

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I meant what brand? Goodyear MTs, BFGoodrich or Goodyear MTRs.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look again as it will have pressure info on the sidewall.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pressure info and what load range the tires are are needed to help you choose the correct road pressure.

87cr250r

I've got 37x12.5r17 tires on mine. 35 psi works well for regular driving. Lower pressure helps prevent death wobble if you've got other issues in the suspension.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks