• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire problem

MitchG

Guys, I would like some suggestions or other opinions on the tire in the attached photo. It's on a trailer I am looking to pick up tomorrow. I won't be pulling it over about 15 or 20 miles. Well that's on the pull home, the pickup location is only a couple of miles from my work. It would be easier for me to work on it over here than at the pickup location. My first thought is to drop the spare from the deuce and use it to swap this tire out for the ride home. Then I can get the tire off the damaged rim and see what's what with it and if there is any hub damage. Any other opinions/options? Should I chain this tire and rim before attempting to remove it? I am leaning that way, can't be too safe you know!!!

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on winning that MKT! I was watching it up until an hour left.

If I were you, I would change that tire before moving the trailer an inch. Take a clip on tire inflation valve, without a hose or plug on it, and clip it onto the stem in the upper right corner. Let the tire go flat SLOWLY... That ring is ready to blow. Once it is flat, change the tire. You can jack the trailer up first and let it go flat in the air, just don't mess with it with air in it.

Then I would take it to a shop and have them dismount it. The tire is still good, but the ring is shot, and maybe the rim is too..

Last edited:

fulleraviation

WARNING: Haven't those rings flying off been known to decapitate people? I thought you should only mess with these type wheels in a tire cage. Just mentioning in case you are not aware of the dangers.

Good Luck and be careful.

Rut

MitchG

Yeah it does have some loose lugnuts. The ring was the most pressing problem. I thought I had read that inflating and deflating were both relatively hazardous operations so I just thought it may be best to chain it before attempting to remove the tire. My plan as of now is to raise that side with the leveling jacks and use a clip on chuck with a length of hose with a valve at the other end. Then I can stand well away from the tire as I release air pressure. Once flat it shoud be pretty straightforward. That is unless there is some damage I wasn't able to see today!! Hey anyone know what the size and thread pitch those studs are in case I have to chase them? It's on the passenger side so I think those are right hand threads correct?

DanMartin

Stay out of the line of fire on that thing when doing anything with the tire...approach from the sides and keep your hands/arms/heads away from the face of that thing.

Remove the air, then the wheel. Junk the wheel and ring..do not try to salvage that. In fact, if you have a torch, de-mil it so it cannot be used by anyone (cut it up, whatever).

Good luck.

1stDeuce

I know chaining a tire is good for inflation, but there's no danger of the thing blowing while you're chaining it in that case... NO WAY would I mess around trying to chain an inflated tire with a damaged ring, just so I could deflate it... Just get a clip on chuck, reach in there ONE TIME and clip it on and let it deflate... No jacking, messing around, etc, just clip it on and walk away... If you want to contain a blown off ring, park a deuce or another trailer right tight against it while it deflates... Basically, minimize how much time you're in harm's way. If the brake drum isn't in the way, I'd even consider deflating it with a dually chuck from the back side... No need to reach in front of it that way.

C

800summit

Pull the valve stem core out and let it deflate. remove deflated wheel and change out with spare. with the wheel on the ground dismount the ring and replace it with a good one.
either chain it up or put the tire between 2 close trees then with a clip on airhose with 5 feet or more to the handle inflate to 15 psi then look at the tire and see if it seating right. anything looks wrong deflate and start all over. After you get the 15psi of air in and things look good inflate to 50 psi. make sure anytime you inflate you are not in the line of fire.

ETHOS

i would not touch that thing......

i would think it would be wise to deflate the tire, chain it, remove it, and get rid of it.....

800summit

after the air is out and the valve is out of the stem there should be no problem unseating the rest of the ring. Pich it and put on a new replacement ring. Should not scare you to do this safely

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks