• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Question

olive drab

I have a 1985 Blazer M1008 that I treasure. It came with the stock 6 lug wheels with 31x10.5x15 tires that are hard to find. I bought a set of 31x12.5x15 inch tires and rims for it. But.... They are too tall. To run them on the front I either have to lift it or trim the fenders. So kicking my own butt for buying them but I was wondering if anyone else has a suggestion or a fix? I wanted Black rims for my girl but the slippers won't fit like she is.
Cut fenders? Roll Fenders?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Probably better suited for the Cucv section.

a 31x12.50 is the same size height as a 31x10.50 they are just different widths.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved to correct forum.

Ilikemtb999

I’m going to venture a guess your backspacing is far too low and it’s hitting the cab side of the openings? With stock wheels and stock height I was running 33x12.5x15 and only rubbing full lock while flexing to the bump stops off road. On road and even mild trail nothing rubbed.

Ilikemtb999

You can modify the body to suit the wheels or the better solution is different wheels. The stock wheels work well in that they have a zero offset (if I remember correctly).

olive drab

Yes sir. I have three options so far. Rolling the fenders out... Never done. Body man was supposed to be here 2 weeks ago.
Trim the fenders, I hate to cut and invite rust.
Or a lift kit.
Just seeing if anyone else has been able to do something different that will work and not change the appearance much

Ilikemtb999

Is it possible to post pictures of the fitment of them? I assume they stick out quite a bit to be able to rub. I had to cut my fenders pretty extensively to fit my tires, but they’re 35x12.5x16 and I went with the most backspacing as possible to get them to tuck under the bodywork when flexing. My axles are a few inches wider too.

olive drab

Love the Avitar! I may just have to revert back and keep the stock wheels. Wheels and tires are something I've never altered before thats why I'm looking for input. Rolling the fenders sounded decent at first but I don't want to change the look much other than paint. Faded out after 30 years... Imagine that!??

Ilikemtb999

I mean you can get whatever wheels you want, they just need the correct backspacing/offset. My 8” wheels are 4.5” bs. I wish I could fit 5”

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes sir. I have three options so far. Rolling the fenders out... Never done. Body man was supposed to be here 2 weeks ago.
Trim the fenders, I hate to cut and invite rust.
Or a lift kit.
Just seeing if anyone else has been able to do something different that will work and not change the appearance much
I have yet to see a lift kit that enlarges a wheel well.
It takes minor trimming to make 35s fit, and it's easy enough to paint the edges afterwards. Unless you point it out, 99% of vehicle enthusiasts will never notice that you cut the edges.

LT67

Love the Avitar! I may just have to revert back and keep the stock wheels. Wheels and tires are something I've never altered before thats why I'm looking for input. Rolling the fenders sounded decent at first but I don't want to change the look much other than paint. Faded out after 30 years... Imagine that!??
You can run a 255 85 16 on the factory wheels with no rubbing. I put 35's on my m1008 and I need to do a little fender trimming. It'll hardly be noticeable...

olive drab

It came with GI 31.5x10.5x15 Transtar I think they are named. I will look at the 255x85 the problem with my stock rims is ( homely) the tire size is becoming harder to find. They are going away like the 16.5 is what I'm being told

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can run a 255 85 16 on the factory wheels with no rubbing. I put 35's on my m1008 and I need to do a little fender trimming. It'll hardly be noticeable...
Have 255/85R16s on aftermarket wheels (with correct offset) on the M1008, and they don't rub even with tire chains.
And if they did, it'd be self clearancing.