• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire size 14.5R20, what does it mean?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There seem to be some confusion about this tire size, equivalents come up as 365/80R20, 375/75R20, MPT 80 and MPT 70E to name some.
Some are 38.5 inches in dia with 3 plies and others are 10 ply.
Some fit on 8 inch wheels others on 12 inch.

Are they available as military surplus and if so, what is the actual size?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have one 365/80 R20 MPT continental tire on my truck with 3 14.5 R20's. Its the same diameter but a little wider. The tires came with the rims and I have a set of matching 395's waiting to go on when I get some time.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All 14.5R20 (or their newer metric designation 365/80R20) are more or less 43" O.D.
Overall width may vary depending on thread type and application.

All you want to know about (Conti's) MPT tire and wheel dimensions is in this booklet, starting on page 50...

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

DUECE-COUPE

14.50 x 20 = tire width of 14.50 inches and rim diameter of 20 inches. the width X.75 is the recommended rim with for that tire. the 14.50 X 20 should be mounted on a rim that is no less than 11 inches wide. 365/80r20 = tread width of 385 MM and a side wall highht of 80% of tread width R = radial tire and 20 is the rim diameter. the 365mm tire has a side wall hight of 292mm from inside edge of pil to the edge of tire.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info guys!

The "14.5" does not imply any particular aspect ratio, so it could be 75, 80 or even 100%, correct?
Duece-Coupe, in your explanation, is "tread width" the same as "tire width"?

14.5 inches = 355 mm, so 14.5 is not an exact translation. Guess I'm wondering where the "14.5r20" came from...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To clear this up once and for all, can someone measure a 14.5R20 tire so that we will know what it actually is?

Is the 14.5R20 only used for military tires? If so, that would explain the use for this designation for a specific tread pattern, aspect ratio and size.

The 16-20 (or 16R20) markings on my military NDCC , 8x8 tires are actually 395/70-20 types by measurement.

Attachments

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Data from Conti's book for their 14.5s : see attached chart, below.
(Those are confirmed real numbers, I have both tire styles, mounted on 20x11" wheels).
The Michelin XL's overall width is somewhere in between both Conti models, O.D. is the same.

Is the 14.5R20 only used for military tires?
I have seen that size (different brands and thread pattern) factory mounted on Unimogs and fire/rescue vehicles all across Europe.

G.

Attachments

hklvette

i know this is an old thread, but could someone take a tape measure to a 14.5R20 XL and see how wide the tread actually is? I know with 11R20 XLs the tread itself is only about 8-9" wide (if i remember correctly, can measure again this evening). I measured the width from the furthest tread block on on side to the furthest tread block on the next row.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks