• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Size Question

Firecloud

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to add new tires to my 1984 M1009. It has the standard/original 15" rims. I'd like to fit 33 x 10.5 x 15 Anyone have experience with this size and will I have any rubbing or other issues? This Blazer is going to be used to plow snow on mountainous terrain.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Firecloud

I will see if I can get one posted tomorrow. The truck is at my shop.
I really appreciate it, but don't go out of your way. Thanks to you and everyone that has replied. This is my first M1009 and want to set it up correctly the first time especially since snow is already at our doorstep here in Colorado. I just today contributed to the PA economy though by shopping at Storks Plows. I'm looking forward to see how well the M1009 handles the plow. Now just need the tires and chains that I'm ordering from Pewag here in Pueblo, CO. Thanks again!

joshuak

Pictures are good, stock suspension 33s.

C81DD8B2-69F1-4230-8C8A-6316ED938F58.jpeg
For comparison sake, here are a couple of squares at the feed store. owner of the blue one said 4” lift on 33s, if I remember correctly.
FAB3CE05-4F73-4B89-90C4-45C7E2C01C6D.jpeg

Post up what you end up choosing, good luck.

Firecloud

Pictures are good, stock suspension 33s.

View attachment 816424
For comparison sake, here are a couple of squares at the feed store. owner of the blue one said 4” lift on 33s, if I remember correctly.
View attachment 816425

Post up what you end up choosing, good luck.
That's great! Thanks for the pictures. I'm convinced that 33s are the way to go. I'll get back to the post.

joshuak

Do you think that the tires would rub with chains installed in the stock configuration? I'm looking at a square link ladder configured chain for each wheel.

Tough call, especially if you add the weight of a plow. The front fender fang is awfully close when turning and stuffed. One might get away with an 1" Rate Add a leaf or an EZ inch (similar products), but if the ubolts come off the rabbit hole is pretty close by at that point.

Firecloud

Pictures for you.
You're too kind! Thanks for doing that! The pics and measurements help a lot. I think what I am going to do is wait until I have installed the plow and go from there. I was hoping to get a set of tires and a windshield when I go into town this Thursday (prior to adding the plow), but with only 2-2.5 inches after I factor in new tires and 7mm chains I better wait to see how it sits with the plow. I'll probably end up adding a leaf and new shocks in order to still accomodate the 33s is my guess. Or maybe go with the suggestions that Joshuak threw out there. Thanks so much Antennaclimber!

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those of you with 33s; is this a case of appearance to the detriment of performance, or does the Detroit Diesel not notice them?

...assuming you're running the stock 3.08 axels...

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those of you with 33s; is this a case of appearance to the detriment of performance, or does the Detroit Diesel not notice them?

I did notice that it was a little slower off the line and overall top speed was better as well. The MPG went down some with city driving.
So I just quit checking it....

Firecloud

I don't have them yet, but for me it's to gain a bit of clearance from the heavy snows that we get. Every increment helps when you live atop a divide at 8000ft. 1-3 foot snow storms are the norm for us. I'm sure this will lead to a small suspension lift down the road, too.

cucvrus

I do know you will not be able to stuff the 33" tires up in the wheel wheels on very rough terrain. They get stuck up in there and hit the inner fenders with the stock suspension. These are the stock 31" and I never had them hit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks