• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire sizes for my deuce?

EZFEED

Hey guys, got a question on tire sizes.

Will the MichelinX.14.00 R20 XL radials fit on my standard deuce rims or will I have to upgrade to A-3 wheels?

Will the MichelinX.12.5 R20 XL radials fit my standard deuce wheels?

The tires on my deuce are so dry rotted that I'm scared to roll on the ones I have on it now. I'm looking at the ones coming up and I think I'm gonna fight for a batch if they fit.

I'm pretty sure the 12.5's will work but I figured I'd ask you fellas first just in case something freakish might arise in the mounting of them.
I really like the wide ones and If they will squeeze on the standard wheels I'll go with them.

Blythewoodjoe

RE: Tire sizes for my deuce????

In my opinion you're only real option is the 9.00 by 20 with your rims. Anything else is putting something on there that will not fit right. Check out this chart and see what they say will fit on your width rim.

http://www.militarytires.com/

I do think one of the 12 series tires will fit but then you have to buy tubes for it. Look in the modified deuce section here and you will see several topic about wheels and tire and lot of pictures of modified rims and tire on them. I am putting 14.5 tires on some 11" rims I am making.

I have a handful of decent 9.00 tires I have no use for anymore I would love to give to a good home but I wouldn't trust any on the front of a vehicle. They are old but not dry rotted.

Good luck
Joe Trapp

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

houdel

RE: Re: Tire sizes for my deuce????

You CAN run up to 12:00x20 tires on a stock 7.5" Deuce rim, according to the markings stamped on my rims. What we need to find is is factory 46" tall 12:00x20 radial tire with a suitable on/off road tread (not NDC/NDCC tread) so we can super single our trucks without spending $300 or so for custom 10" wide rims. Has anyone ever seen such a tire as I mentioned? I'd even consider buying a set of 12:00R-20 dual purpose drive wheel tires and cut additional traction grooves in the tread with my tire grooving tool! A bit of effort, but a lot cheaper than spending $600/wheel for custom wide rims and super single tires!

Katch1

RE: Re: Tire sizes for my deuce????

I gave wold wheel a drawing of what I wanted in a 10" wide wheel today and they will send me a qoute next week, I think they will be well under 300 bucks.
They also will give me a quote on a terra wheel with an o-ring, so as to run tubeless,so I'll post the prices as soon as I get back home next Fri.
They are a large supplier of wheels and have an excellent reputation so I have my hopes up.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: Tire sizes for my deuce????

houdel said:
You CAN run up to 12:00x20 tires on a stock 7.5" Deuce rim, according to the markings stamped on my rims. What we need to find is is factory 46" tall 12:00x20 radial tire with a suitable on/off road tread (not NDC/NDCC tread) so we can super single our trucks without spending $300 or so for custom 10" wide rims. Has anyone ever seen such a tire as I mentioned?......
Used (75%) 12.00R20 XMLs on std M34 wheels: not 46" but tall enough for a Deuce! And cheap! :wink:

Attachments

houdel

RE: Re: RE: Re: Tire sizes for my deuce????

Gerhard- - Looks very nice. Now if I could only find some here in the States! M34 wheel? How is that different from the M35 wheel? Backspace, etc.?

Blythewoodjoe

I have a set of 4 wheels from a dolly that are backspaced an inch or so different from regular deuce rims. I have mounted an 11.00 Michelin XL on one and put it on the front of my truck. Clint's buddy (Joel?) was eye balling them a few months ago. I paid $100 for the dolly so I guess that was a good find for the rims alone.

Just for information purposes, I have ordered one 13.00/14.00r20 radial tube and one 12" wide flap from Rusty. It should arrive next week and I hope to have rim number two finished by then. I will post progress when these are mounted up. That means I will have $50 in the 14.5 tire. About $70 in the tube and flap. $0.00 in the rim excluding welding rods and fuel.

Here's one question I have. If you want to go with wide rims and tires on the deuce do you have to flip your hubs. Our M813 has singles and the back hubs don't appear to be flipped. The wheels are turned around. If you where to widen a deuce wheel like I have done couldn't you just mount it with the ring in. How close would that be on the tracking?

Food for thought.
Joe Trapp

sermis

??? 14.00 tube. How much are the tubes? Contact info? I used 12.00 tubes in my 15.5's. I had one tube split in a seam. It might have had some trash in the tire, not sure but 14.00's would not strech as much. My tire guy said about $45 for them so I am looking.

Craig C

I have a friend who has the Michelin 12.00R 20's on his shop van......duals in rear and they seem to do well....look nice also.

houdel

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Tire sizes for my deuce????

gringeltaube said:
houdel said:
....... M34 wheel? How is that different from the M35 wheel? Backspace, etc.?
M34 wheel: 7.5x20, 9.5" backspace. (M35 is 10.5")
Thanks Gerhard. I had a temporary brain fart. M34 = Eager Beaver, somehow slipped out of my brain cells for a short period of time.! That is the same backspacing as a M135 or M211 wheel, is it not?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Tire sizes for my deuce????

Blythewoodjoe said:
....Here's one question I have. If you want to go with wide rims and tires on the deuce do you have to flip your hubs. Our M813 has singles and the back hubs don't appear to be flipped. The wheels are turned around. If you where to widen a deuce wheel like I have done couldn't you just mount it with the ring in. How close would that be on the tracking?

Food for thought.
Joe Trapp
If you don't change the original backspace of an M35 wheel (10.5") you would have to widen it almost 7"! (14.4" total) to achieve same track width front and rears w/o flipping hubs.

Attachments

tobyS

My personal choice is 11.00 duals on the rear (on your rims) and 365/80R20 on A3 wheels on the front (+ caster change).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks