• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire slightly tilted out - M923A1

CES 3245th

I thought I would throw this question in the hope that somebody might point in the right direction. I have a 1983 M923A1 and the right front tire is slightly tilted out at the top. I looked through the manual and Ijust couldn’t put my finger on it. I still don’t know why its like that. Any pointers would be very helpful and thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not evident in the picture. Starting inside and working out here could be the causes. Bent housing,. Deformed or broken knuckle, bad kingpins or bearings, Bent, broken or unbolted spindle or wheel bearings. Granted, most of these will cause the tire to lean in, some odd stuff could be happening. I would measure it with a digital angle finder on known flat ground. Visuals can often be deceptive.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Drive the truck 20mins at highway speed and temp gun both front drive flanges and see if there is a heat difference to one side.

Jack it up and remove and retorque your lug nuts to make sure the wheel is seated properly on the hub. I have seen slightly cockeyed fitments due to some debris or scuffs on the hub outer areas. May look down but its not flush.

You can also Jack it up and get the tire off the ground a few inches. Use a long prybar and wedge it betwen the ground and the tire and see if you can push up on the tire for any play up and down. If you do then you need to replace your king pin bushings. Depending on where the play is and if the bearing temp is hot you could have a bad bearing as well.

You can also push the outer part of the tire on both sides to check for tierod play as well while you got it off the ground.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... But he said tire is "tilted out at the top", not the bottom.

I suppose that the "normal" camber for these front axles is +1.0 deg (+/- 0.5). Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:

CES 3245th

All of you guys have been great with the information that you have given me I truly appreciate it
. I will Jack it up to see if there is any play in the tire I'm hoping it's not as it just means I have a Bitch of a job coming up to do and I'm really not looking forward to it!! Scary part is if it isn't that somehow I have to get to the bottom of!

Thanks again guys

PS if you have any other information on this please don't hesitate to send it forward