• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire suggestion for m1009

HOWEY

My 09 is currently running on 33x12.50x 15 tyres with a 4inch Rough Country lift, since they were fitted i thought they looked a wee bit small??
Im thinking of splashing out on some 35x12.50x15 tyres, either bf goodrich mud km2,s or Hankook dynapro mt.
My question is would this be the size you guys would reccomend?? Also it spends more time on road then off.
Any sugesstions with pics would be helpfull too.........

Attachments

camoyj7

If you still have the 3.08 gears in the diff's it's going to be even more of a dog then it is now. The 10 bolt rear axle is the weak link in the drive train and with 35's you increase your chances for failure. Just my two cents.

idM1028

:ditto:
Not to say it can't be done; I've seen guys running 35's even 37's on 1009's with 4" of lift. Pretty sure they had the 10-bolts. Not sure if they had been regeared. I'm not a big fan of the 10-bolts. I've seen them blow up with small horse trailers, never mind out wheeling.

Mohawk Dave

I'm running 37s with no lift on stock axles/gears. I've done more off roading than on road in the last 12k miles. Including trails like Independence and Gold Mtn. Trail in Big Bear- with rock gardens. Since you're on the road mostly, I sat go with 35" BFG A/Ts, they last long and work. You're not gonna bust your drivetrain.

Dave

The YETI

35's will fit but minor fender trimming is required. and with the 3.08 gears it will be slower.
If you dont beat on it that bad the 10 bolts will hold out for a little while.

niferous

If you switch to 35" tires you need to change your gear ratio. A lot of guys say no but my opinion is that those guys will typically drive the truck a little while and sell it. The current gears in your axles, with 35" tires, would put strain on your transmission. I put a lift with 35" tires on a Z-71 1/2 ton and changed from 3:73 to 4:10 gears. No that was with a 4L80E trans so you may not want to go to that based on the three speed trans we have. Someone who can do the math can speak up. However I think 3:73 or 4:10 would be a good fit.

Also I think your truck looks good. If it spins most of the time on road why go bigger? You'll just be slowing the truck down, wearing the drivetrain more, and speeding a lot of money on tires for nothing. Plus I hate the look of trimmed fenders. Remember it's not a car. It's not supposed to have tires all sucked up into that fenders.

Last edited:

HOWEY

Videos that got me thinking??

If you switch to 35" tires you need to change your gear ratio. A lot of guys say no but my opinion is that those guys will typically drive the truck a little while and sell it. The current gears in your axles, with 35" tires, would put strain on your transmission. I put a lift with 35" tires on a Z-71 1/2 ton and changed from 3:73 to 4:10 gears. No that was with a 4L80E trans so you may not want to go to that based on the three speed trans we have. Someone who can do the math can speak up. However I think 3:73 or 4:10 would be a good fit.

Also I think your truck looks good. If it spins most of the time on road why go bigger? You'll just be slowing the truck down, wearing the drivetrain more, and speeding a lot of money on tires for nothing. Plus I hate the look of trimmed fenders. Remember it's not a car. It's not supposed to have tires all sucked up into that fenders.
Conflicting opinions aua, im following a member on this site with his truck and its from these videos i got to thinking....." yeah ill have me some of that"[thumbzup]
carcedcucv's Channel - YouTube
carcedcucv's Channel - YouTube
P.S.... Dont think he trimmed his fenders either?

Last edited:

Cleptomaniac

With 35s and a 4" lift their is no trimming required!! Quite tall;) and I drove over everything around the shop and couldn't get them to rub!

niferous

Well I never heard him say how well the truck accelerates as opposed to stock. However it's simple math. With a 35" tire your turning more mass and therefore putting a larger load on the drivetrain. Most people put a lift kit and big tires on these trucks and just expect them to perform without any problems and in a stock fashion. It's not going to happen.

However if you want 35" tires go for it. I'm sure they'll fit but may need some fender trimming to get it done. I'm sure they would work most of the time but every so often you may get some rubbing. Furthermore I'm sure the drivetrain will hold up for a while but I can promise you running that big a tire on a stock drivetrain will produce problems faster than if you took some steps to improve some things. Starting with putting different gears in.

HOWEY

Gear kits?

Can you reccomend a supplier in the US that does those gear kits please? Theres a company near me that rebuilds diffs im sure they,d be able to fit it for me.... thanks again[thumbzup]

twa@ezdn.net

I have a 4" lift with 35" Goodyear kevlars. Pull a M101a1 and have no problems. No heavy offroading but I am out in it. Never go over 55, mostly 45 to 50. Milage is around 14. I do want to replace the 10 but not now. Luv the 35's

Tim

niferous

Can you reccomend a supplier in the US that does those gear kits please? Theres a company near me that rebuilds diffs im sure they,d be able to fit it for me.... thanks again[thumbzup]
Have you called to see if they just have some? 3:73 or 4:10 gears would even be common in GM vehicles over there. However if they don't have access you can try:

Randy's Ring & Pinion. The Differential Experts. Auto Parts & Services.

Ring and Pinion Gears - Summit Racing Equipment

National Drivetrain - Your Drivetrain Source

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm running 37's on mine with 3.08's. I wish I could go back to 33's I had on it. Or at least get a set of M1008 axles.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the years (dang, decades) I've lifted and lowered various vehicles. In every case, no exeptions, the vehicle handled, stopped, steered, rode , and reliability WORSE than before the transformation. I finally learned my lesson : the CUCV stays stock no matter how cool it would look otherwise. My insurance agent is grateful for that 8<)

idM1028

If you're going to regear and keep the stock axles here ya go:

GM 7.5 in. - 10 - Ring and Pinion Gears - SummitRacing.com

If you copy and paste the manufacturers name and part# into the shopping section of google you can usually find someplace that has got it at a better price. Summit tends to overprice their stuff, but its easy to find on their website. When you click on one of these parts Summit also has a gear ratio calculator. Long story short, if you want to regear the axles, punch in the gear ratio, the tire size, the speed, etc, etc. I would say that with the new gears cruising down the highway your engine speed should be no less than 2,000RPM and no more than 2,500 which with a 6.2 is probably pushing it a bit.

niferous

Final question to you all....... do you have to regear the rear diff only? or do you have to do the front diff also?
Was thinking that if it was rear only would,nt the rear wheels be trying to turn quicker then the front especially in 4wd??
Apologies if this is a dumb question....
Yes both differentials have to be re-geared otherwise you'll have problems. Are you going to keep the Gov-Lock (Detroit locker by the way)?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you're going to regear and keep the stock axles here ya go:

GM 7.5 in. - 10 - Ring and Pinion Gears - SummitRacing.com

If you copy and paste the manufacturers name and part# into the shopping section of google you can usually find someplace that has got it at a better price. Summit tends to overprice their stuff, but its easy to find on their website. When you click on one of these parts Summit also has a gear ratio calculator. Long story short, if you want to regear the axles, punch in the gear ratio, the tire size, the speed, etc, etc. I would say that with the new gears cruising down the highway your engine speed should be no less than 2,000RPM and no more than 2,500 which with a 6.2 is probably pushing it a bit.

Actually....

GM 8.5 in. - 10 - Ring and Pinion Gears - SummitRacing.com

GM cars and S10's had 7.5" 10 bolts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks