• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire suggestions for daily driver - M923A2

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gonna be used as a 'daily', however mostly dispersed camping (tiny home on wheels).

I expect to camp somewhere for a week or two then drive 100-300 miles and repeat the process. Could be as little as 20 miles or as far as 2K miles... just whatever suits my fancy. I just want to clarify this is not a 'take it out 3x a year for parades' type truck and I need road reliability with an eye for easy replacement if need be.

Currently is sitting on 5 1400r20 Goodyear at2a and one 1400r20 Michelin xl. No spares.

CTIS has been removed from the truck.

95% of driving will be on paved roads. However I don't want to get a highway tire that compromises off road traction/ability. I need a tire that I can make my own roads with.

I understand the 1400s may net a little better mpg if most of my driving is Hwy, which it will be. I also understand that 1400s are getting harder and harder to find, especially non-XL's that are known for sidewall failures. 395s may have slightly worse mpg and slightly worse off road traction but are more readily available and less expensive. Is that true?

The Goodyears I have on there are probably about 50%, so I'm not super against replacing them, but I'm weighing my cost/performance options.

if I stick with Goodyears I'd need at least 2 if not 3, so buying 7 of something else is in the books if it makes financial sense. eg no point in buying $450 in tires then spending another $500 in shipping just to maintain half worn tires, if I can get, say, 7 for $1400+ $600 shipping of 'new' tires... Totally random numbers but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.

Throw some suggestions at me. Help me decide.

posted from my phone so apologies for any grammar/auto correct mistakes.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Go to duals. 12R24.5 drives and 445 65 22.5 steers. They are equal to 395s. 12R24.5 are 46in tall. Tubeless. Commercial tire and around $200 for a recap.

I run them in the G177 goodyear pattern.

445s can be found in aggressive treads in contentials and Bridgestones. They last 4x as long as a 395 will.

The g177 drives will run 150k miles +

It is the same setup I have on my 920

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to duals. 12R24.5 drives and 445 65 22.5 steers. They are equal to 395s. 12R24.5 are 46in tall. Tubeless. Commercial tire and around $200 for a recap.

I run them in the G177 goodyear pattern.

445s can be found in aggressive treads in contentials and Bridgestones. They last 4x as long as a 395 will.

The g177 drives will run 150k miles +

It is the same setup I have on my 920
For ease of supply, I'd like all wheels/tires to be the same. Also, I'd prefer to use the wheels that I have, unless I can move to beadlockers for not that much more money, but I have a suspicion that beadlockers for 22.5 or 24.5 are gonna be $$$$

G177 is too much of a road tire for me. Yes, I know they're an excellent tire. I had the 1100R20 G177 on my M934 and those things were great on road, but sucked on anything but pavement. Off road performance is important. I will have a 20K winch and snatchblocks/pulleys for added capacity - but the idea is that it's a last resort. If I'm in an area with no trees or anchor points, I'm pretty well up the creek without a paddle. Yeah, they sell literal anchors, but not ones that I'm aware of for 30K+ lb trucks. All the ones I've seen have been for 3K lb jeeps.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
For ease of supply, I'd like all wheels/tires to be the same. Also, I'd prefer to use the wheels that I have, unless I can move to beadlockers for not that much more money, but I have a suspicion that beadlockers for 22.5 or 24.5 are gonna be $$$$

G177 is too much of a road tire for me. Yes, I know they're an excellent tire. I had the 1100R20 G177 on my M934 and those things were great on road, but sucked on anything but pavement. Off road performance is important. I will have a 20K winch and snatchblocks/pulleys for added capacity - but the idea is that it's a last resort. If I'm in an area with no trees or anchor points, I'm pretty well up the creek without a paddle. Yeah, they sell literal anchors, but not ones that I'm aware of for 30K+ lb trucks. All the ones I've seen have been for 3K lb jeeps.
For offroad performance add some autochains units. @silverstate55 has a set of 5 which is enough for 2 axles in Utah. Hit the switch and have instant tire chains.

You using a 22.5 front wheel and a 24.5 rear wheel you can mount the dish inwards into the 445 and you have two spares mounted together with 2 bolts much Like the K series Oshkosh trucks use.

The 22.5runflat poly inserts I bought were around $200 each and i only run em in the steers. A security company that builds armored trucks in Florida makes emm

ericp351

I recently needed 2 tires due to cracked sidewalls. Went with General/NATO type from Eastern Surplus- new old stock. Put on front. 14.00 -20. Price OK, works OK, May not be Radial, despite what add said. Smother than vintage Michilines they replaced. 3 of my rear 4 are Good Years, I think they are bit better that Michilines in mud/ snow. Highly recommend you get a spair, as you imply. I do not work for Eastern Surplus, or S Africa.

Csm Davis

The tires simp5782 listed are available anywhere in CONUS and if you plan on daily or longhaul that would be the direction I would lean. If you must stick with a off-road single then 395's or 16.00s is the only two real choices. 14.00's are done for unless someone with big money steps up. Don't run 14.00's longhaul unless you like to live dangerously, they are all old now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks