• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire tools

mcinfantry

i have A kentool tyre tool, and a duckbill mallet. while under severe exhaustion i decided ill buy better or correct tools.

what tools do i need?
what do yall use? i see there are ken tools for firestone rims (arent deuce rims firestone?)

do i need a slide breaker bar, a bead busting chisel?

id like to be able to do a tire in ONE day, or a few hours if necessary. seems busting the bead is what kills me.

jasonjc

Get a spray bottle and fill it with water and a littel dish soap. spray it all around the bead and let soak a few minates.
this works real good for me and i use a duck bill hammer most of the time.

mcinfantry

i used the hilift jach to shove it down. after 3 hours i quit. next day we started swinging the duckbill again. finally got it. we used soap and water both days. maybe i have the wrong tools?

jasonjc

I broke down down 4 or 5 in one day with the hammer and soap. maybe you just had a stoborn trie and wheel????
I got one of the hyd. bead breaker off E-bay a few year ago but it didn't work. it was in the shop when I did some tire next time I will try the hyd tool but the hammer seemed to go pretty good.?.?
If you where a little closer I'd say bring them over. :)

jasonjc

A frend that has a tire shop just got a slide hammer like in your frist photo. coulded get to the hyd tool its bired on a shelf .But Northerntool.com has them item# 145555-1605 but its $1149.99 they also have the samething in a manual stye for 179.99 and the slide hammer for 99.99
Here are the pic of what I have and use

Attachments

Hotshot

I use the slide hammer bead breaker with that a wrecking bar and a shop hammer I can break down and remount a tirein less than 45 min.If you have a stuborn bead that has been mounted for a long time and has a lot of rust just use PB Blaster penetrant.Just spray it around the bead and let soak for 30 min or so.I learned that while I drove truck and talked to the shop guys that fix big tires for a living.But I do use the soap water when I remount a tire

devilman96

I have a tire changer... Slide hammers... on and on and on... The first and last deuce tire I tried to strip took me 2 hours with a Cat backhoe and I was NOT being nice to it... Lesson learned 1-800 come change this bloody thing while I watch!!!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I will try and get The Deuce Doctor (RandyLBarnes) to give you folks some insight.

While I WILL ADMIT my wheels are 22.5 inch NORMAL wheels off of a UPS truck, I watched Randy take old tires off and put new tires on in less than twenty minutes. ON FOUR WHEELS/TIRES...

He had this odd looking breaker bar that made everything a snap. Now maybe youse guys with snap rings on your wheels can't use this, but Randy is the head guy of the maintenance dept for HVH here in Denver.

I'VE NEVER seen someone bust a tire and remount it as quickly as Randy did, even using a tire machine on 'normal sized' car tires...

jim

Hotshot

Not everyone can do it.It does take some practice to learn some tricks to make it work.I started to do my own to save money most shops around here charge atleast $25 to do it.

jasonjc

Useing the duckbill hammer the trick is to hit just above the bead and slid under it. If you get a bit but not all the way to the rim you can tap it in with a 2 hammer. I stand on the tire and use about medium swing at it and just work my way around. sometime get started and sray some more soap and let it soak and go on to the next. Some of these tire have been on there for ever and ever.

ah1955

A little off subject maybe but I saw wallew said he has 22.5 wheels off U.P.S truck.
Had read this somewhere before don't know who's post but I looked at a U.P.S truck after that and looked to me that one had 10 lug hub pilot wheel.
Were the 6 lug Budd wheel an older truck wheel do they still use them and what would be a source of them.
tubeless tires would be a huge plus becouse our fleet shop is all tubeless and they are so easy to work with

kirk

I have tires that have been on the rims for 50 years. Bought a tool called a bead cheata from Gemplers.com. It wedges between the bead and the rim. when you turn it with a ratchet it slowly forces the bead away from the rim. I had to use it every couple of inches all the way around the rim to break the bead.costs about $170

wpzimmer

I agree with Kirk. The bead cheeta from Gemplers works well. A lot of wrench turning but not all that much work. A slide hammer is also generally useful but you can work up an awful sweat with one. The duckbill hammer and rim chisel are good tools too but you need infinite amounts of money if you want every clever tool. Locking ring tools are essential though, lest you break of the tip of every big screwdriver in your tool box. I often use the old DOT 5 brake fluid from flushes as a demounting lubricant. Doesn't wash off nicely like soap and water but is is harmless to rubber. I usually use Frey Lube for mounting tires. Black, messy stuff but it helps prevent rim rusting and makes future demounting much easier. All of these items are available from Gemplers. Theirs is a catalog worth having. A lot of tire supplies and tools.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ah1955 said:
A little off subject maybe but I saw wallew said he has 22.5 wheels off U.P.S truck. Had read this somewhere before don't know who's post but I looked at a U.P.S truck after that and looked to me that one had 10 lug hub pilot wheel. Were the 6 lug Budd wheel an older truck wheel do they still use them and what would be a source of them. tubeless tires would be a huge plus becouse our fleet shop is all tubeless and they are so easy to work with
ah1955,
OK, I got four six lug budd wheels from RandlyLBarnes. HE got them from his tire vendor, who apparently is also the tire vendor for UPS. When they reach a certain mileage on the BROWN trucks you see delivering packages, they remove the outer rear dual wheel and replace it with a new one. It can't be cheap. But certainly not expensive as even one multi million dollar law suit.

Having said that, I also went to a big rig salvage yard and found several in excellent shape. UNFORTUNATELY, the guy though they were made of gold instead of steel and wanted $75 per wheel. I paid a lot less.

I got four of them from ebay, with brand new Michelin retreads on them from a guy locally. So that's where the other four of my eight six lug budd wheels came from. Randy's tire guy swapped out the new Michelin retreads for the larger set I wanted for $25 each. So for $500 total I got four new Michelin retreads (XDY2) and four six lug budd wheels. I paid a bit more for the other wheels (not much) and BUNDLE for the front NEW Michelin XDY1's (same tread as the XDY2 retreads). I paid almost $400 EACH for my front tires. Randy gave me a 22.5 inch tire to mount as a spare until I can come up with the $150 per copy for the XDY2 retreads I'll be using as spares. I will have two, so I gotta save up another $300.

BUT, I can change these myself or take them in to ANY truck stop and they can break them down and fix the problem and I'm "GOOD TO GO"! Plus I should get at least 100k miles out of them. As that will be the life of MY ownership of the deuce, I figure buying tires once, though expensive, isn't that bad, especially for tubeless radials.

Plus, given the tires are 42" tall, my top speed is now 64.5 mph at 2500 rpm. Verified with both a chase car AND GPS...

Life is good.

My thx goes to Randy.

jim

PS - I MAY be incorrect, but Randy's tire tool looked 'home made'. Like he took a regular breaker bar and added something to it. I've got a call in to Randy now, so hopefully he can log in and clear all this up.

His boss went on a SEVEN WEEK vacation (life is good for him), so Randy is not only running the shop, but is ALSO having to do his bosses job as well. I ain't heard from him in a couple of weeks, which is why I called him. j

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lee i've patched a lot of tubes in the woods. Untill i found new tubes for $14. It saves a lot of time. I keep 3 tubes under the seat. I have the exact same tire tools you have. I've had some tires come off with a few wacks. And i've had others that took 2 wekends to get. I have one now that i'm waiting for the weather to cool off to finish. I'm thinking of getting that long slide hammer. Swinging that tire hammer in 95% hummidity is getting old quick!
When i remount i use a rubber seal lube. It makes the next breakdown no sweat. I haven't had i tire spin on the rim yet.
I also keep 3 spares mounted on the rim for hurricanes. That way if i have a flat i can repare them later when i'm bored waiting for the storm to pass.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks