• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tire vendor question

llong66

Hello all and Happy Mothers Day to our F members!
I am needing to get a new set of shoes for my M1008 but as I plan on lifting it, prolly next spring, I dont want to put a whole lot of $$ in new ones. I found this place
https://www.treadwright.com/individual-product/137/CRAWLER-235-85R16-E that sells retreads. The link is to the ones I am thinking of. Treadwright is the name of the company. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?
Thanks much!

Greg

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know anything about the dealer but I think retreads are illegal to run on the front. I know they are on big trucks, I'd assume light trucks would be the same.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the idea that retreads are illegal on a front axle must've been a myth started by tire companies to sell more tires. FMCSR states that only buses can't have retreads on the front axle.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/393.75

And most people probably use a CUCV in a way that FMCSR would have no authority over their use anyhow.

I think the modern retread industry is probably just as responsible/regulated/etc as the virgin tire industry is - I don't think I'd have a problem running quality retread tires.

Your mileage may vary.

nyoffroad

I had a set like that years ago and they lasted almost forever! I gotta admit they did take a little more weight to balance them and they had a very stiff side wall so if I ran over a dime I could tell if it was heads or tails.
The ones I had were well worth the money and there not made like the old retreads, the casing is actually put into a mold and the new rubber tread is molded around it instead of glueing it on. The one's I had had tiny pieces of carbide embedded in them and had a fantastic grip on ice.
Oh yeah, If you get them try using balancing beads instead of wheel weights. you'l love it.

TGP (IL)

I don't have a problem with retreads. Have run many on the rear over the years.
However I got away from them. In your case they might work for you for a short time.

Regardless of what the FMCSR says or how you interpret there regulation I think it would be foolish
to use them on a steer axle period.

All tires fail at some point in my experience recaps fail more often.
Tom

K9Vic

Been running Treadwright tires on my M1031 for 3 years and they are great tires. Just make sure you get load range E for the heavier weight of the CUCV trucks. I have the WARDEN A/T LT265/75R16 w/Kedge that are almost like BF Goodrich AT tires. I probably only have 2000 miles at the most on them as I do not drive my M1031 that much, but never an issue with them.

As for steer axle, Treadwright states "In most cases YES. Commercial use vehicles have restrictions in some states". Allot of people put these tires all around on many vehicles, never recall reading about an issue with steer axles. You can scan through their Facebook page and read the comments for a better decision on them.

However, since they moved from Colorado to Texas it seems that there are more complaints that I recall. Mine are from when they were in Colorado and have had other sets on other trucks. So I would spend time reading the posts on their Facebook page. It seems that their quality is not the same, balance issues and tires bubbling. But Treadwright does respond and warranty them per their comments. So if it was me, I would probably not go with the new Treadwright and spend the extra on new tires.

llong66

Hello and thank you all for your input!
I bought 2 and put them on the rear, I just bought 2 so if I didn't care for them, I had not invested as much.
So far, after several hundred miles, I am very pleased. They balanced out nice, not a lot of weight needed and
so far, in town and on the highway, they run great!
They had started like as BFG's, Comercial, load range E. They look like new BFG's
I went with the 235/85R16 which is what the Treadwright site said was factory
for a 1985 K30.
I am going to go ahead and get another pair and if anything interesting happens, will update this post.

Thanks again,
Greg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks