• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire VS rim size

FDNY129

Hello all, I'm getting ready for a muddy spring and would like to get some new rubber under the Deuce. With the help of a local SS member, the truck will get an axle service and singled out on the rears. I would love a wide, chunky looking tire.

I've read every topic on Deuce tires here. There are a ton of conflicting stories about rim size to tire width ratio. Some say yay, some say nay. Half of those posts are just opinions. I've seen too many posts about how a guy "WANTS" to setup his truck, but can't or won't spend the $.

What I'm looking to discuss is anyone running 395s on a STOCK deuce rim? I know the Pro's and Con's and would now like to hear from someone actually running a setup, if it even exists. Thanks for any advice y'all have....

FDNY129

100Dollarman, It looks like that was done in April of 2009. How is the truck holding up? Any side affects since the mounting? Is it still in your fleet or was it sold to a member? Thanks. :p

mikew

Have you considered the Goodyear G177 11.00R20. They are slightly smaller than the 395's, but according to my conversation with Goodyear, are designed for 7.5" to 8.5" rims.

Mike W

AZDeuce

I've been running 395s on stock rims now for almost 2 years, one of the best things I've done to the truck. I made a 800+ mile trip from Phoenix up to the Page area of AZ to pick up a M135, and towed a 32 foot dual axle construction/equipment trailer. On level ground the best speed I got was around 55-58 MPH. On the hills I was down around 20MPH and shifting both the transfer and tranny to keep her there. I was told the big tires would kill me in the mountains, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Normally driving around in the flat desert with NO trailer, she'll hit 65-68 MPH at around 2600-2700 RPM, normally I drive her around 24-2500RPM and that puts her just above 60 MPH. If you drive a deuce this fast leave plenty room between you and the traffic in front of you, as it will stop, but not as quick as you want it to!

NO TAILGATING!

Out in the desert, the tires do VERY well in sand, haven't had the chance to run them in mud yet, but I'm sure they're better than the non-directionals. I think they're a great addition to the deuce. However if you do mount some up, make sure you get RADIAL tubes for them, I was told that is important and do NOT use the old BIAS tubes with the Radial tires. I don't remember why, but I think it has something to do with the bias tube having friction against the radial tire and excessive heat build up leading to a blow out.

I could be wrong about that, but was told NOT to mix the two, so I didn't, better safe than sorry!

They are a PITA to mount up by your self (I did all 7 of mine), one of the secrets is to get the rim about 6" off the floor. I put my rim on top of an extra rim with a piece of carpet over it to keep it from scratching the good rim. I then inserted the tube and flap in the tire lined up the air valve with the wheel slot, and layed the tire on the good rim and got it into position (a lot easier to type about than to do!). Once the tire is PROPERLY mounted on the rim, put wood blocks under the tire every 90 degrees of the tire.

Now put the lock ring in place, climb up on the tire (that's why you inserted the 4 blocks), and stomp the ring on. Good work boots REQUIRED, no tennis shoes need apply!

Anyway that's "all" there is to it. Your truck will ride better, and believe it or not is slightly easier to steer. I really like the 395s, I think you will too, for a "play tuck", if you're going to work it, and carry lots of weight keep the duals (maybe go to 11.00x20s), but for light work or just camping, off roading I really like those 395s!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks