• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Wear/Electrical

conny

I am seriously considering buying and preparing a Goat for the 2019 convoy from Washington, DC to San Diego, Ca. I am disabled and require certain amenities.
A few Question I have are:

1. Will the tire tread last 3,200+miles?
2. Can the voltage regulator handle a 100amp alternator?
3. Any ideas if an inverter (24v/120v/shelter air conditioner) would run down the batteries excessively even while running/driving?
4. Inverter or small generator?
5. Other than alternator, regulator, wires/plugs, hoses, belts, grease gun/oils, etc...Is there something that should be mandatory to bring?

Sorry about the dumb questions but, although I like the goat a lot, never owned one. Thank you for your time.

m38inmaine

It has a diesel engine, there are no plugs/wires. They did offer a 100 amp alternator kit, a larger alternator, regulator and wiring harness. I don't know what your disabilities are but they are hard to get into, there are no doors. I would consider new tires driving that distance, they run about $350 each.

conny

Thanks for the response. Yes, I know it's a diesel. I was just adding stuff to make the spares list longer.
I am going to use new tires and bring 2 new tires/rims as spares.
The S250 shelter has an A/C unit, lights and side door that will be modified.
I'll be hauling a trailer for tires, water, shower equipment, small generator, compressor, air tools, air jack, etc.
Getting in one is no problem. I'll use a soft top and doors.
I'm trying to prepare now because I want to convert a goat rear section into a trailer.
I figure 3+ years should be plenty of prep time.
Would like to trade firearms/ammo for operational goat but, I can sell and pay cash if needed.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would NOT take a NEW goat on a cross country trip, they are a maintenance nightmare, the main reason the army dumped them, when they first went thought acceptance testt, they could not meet the minimum operating hour test, so they were trekked a bit, still could not pass, the minimum operating hours was lowered, still could not pass, REMEMBER the goat was something the army wanted, so in the end, the threshold was lowered to 100 operating hr without a break down, It still could not pass, but it was signed off on "as a needed mission item".

Restoring one, driving a bit, parades, a couple hundred miles here and there, ect., this is NOT 10/12 hour use everyday, the transfer case is a major item of failure, the electrical system is number 2, brakes are not the best even when new, wet road steering is another major issue, things just go down hill from there.

The goat was "DESIGNED as a swimmer, if you decide to swim it (if it will float as some WOULD NOT float new) , make sure that water is MIRROR smooth because there is only about 3" of free board.

So if a NEW goat could NOT pass the acceptance test of 100 hours WITHOUT breaking down, what makes anybody think a OLD goat, may be restored BUT still NOS, USED, REPAIRED parts were used will be better then a brand new one that the army spent a lot of tax payer money "trying" to pass the acceptance test but FAILED.

Before you get to far, you need to talk some of the goat herders that are on site (I do not mean the Gimp or WM, they may have goat boots, but do not own wheeled goats), and as "OLD GOATS" go, I can tell you from first hand knowledge that old goats just do not operate well no matter how well they are lubed though it becomes more fun .

Last edited:

BillIdaho

73m819 speaks the truth, straight as arrow driven into the wind.
Fun for parades, shows, etc. I have a yard full of MV's. The Goat is the most fun to drive around. Around town that is. The farthest I have ever driven mine is about 40 miles. Half on the interstate, and half in town. That was about all the fun I could stand.
Across country, while maybe a neat idea, is probably a vision of grandeur.
Don't get me wrong. I am the worlds biggest Goat fan. Neat ideas. Just didn't work out well. I accept that.

They are kind of like the old AMC Gremlins (and Pacers). Really cool in an ugly funky kind of way.

(And speaking of transfer cases, anyone know if they can be rebuilt? Sources for new good ones?

combat32

Sadly all the above is true, love the Goat as it is unique to say the least, but she is a problem child that requires lots of TLC. I only plan on doing the old motorpool restoration on mine just to get her up to -10 standards and make her fully MC and just have fun with it.

Don't think I would want to start a cross country trip in one even if it was brand new, just the engine noise alone kinda wears on you after a while as you should wear hearing protection while driving.

With all that being said I still love it as it is a real head turner! I work on mine in my driveway and get lots of older vets who see it and stop to tell me their Goat stories.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks