• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire wear problems

jrobinson5093

my front tires keep cupping out real bad. I have to change one of them about every three months. I checked the toe in and it seems fine. I drive around 1000 miles a month. do the ndts just not hold up that good to the high way drivnin that well?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my front tires keep cupping out real bad. I have to change one of them about every three months. I checked the toe in and it seems fine. I drive around 1000 miles a month. do the ndts just not hold up that good to the high way drivnin that well?
I had that problem with my right front tire on my A2. The drivers side was no problem. Someone told me that it was caused by bad shocks, which I didn't believe. However, since my shocks looked 40 years old, I decided to replace them with Monroe shocks from NAPA. Sprayed them green, installed them, and my tire quit cupping. Also, the truck drove better. I used Monroe #34787 shocks. The NAPA part number is: 76787.

jrobinson5093

I thought about the shocks too. at first it was just the right tire cuppin. it got so bad it wore the out side edge of the tire smooth. I replaced the right tire now both sides are doin it. I thought it was the toe in but it was only wearing the tire in spots.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my shocks were in very good condition when i bought my truck. looked like uncle sam just replaced them just before i got it. just my right side tire seems to be cupping, but i am going to check toe in again just to be sure. i know because the rear tandems are hooked together, they dont like to turn good therefore wear front tires faster. i just dont understand why my right one is wearing faster than the left. oh well... like i said, ill start off with the simple things first. also maybe a tire out of balance or bent rim? its possible. I had a shimmy on the front of my truck, i changed the tire/rims on the front with ones from the back and it went away.

shenkmen

I had that problem with my right front tire on my A2. The drivers side was no problem. Someone told me that it was caused by bad shocks, which I didn't believe. However, since my shocks looked 40 years old, I decided to replace them with Monroe shocks from NAPA. Sprayed them green, installed them, and my tire quit cupping. Also, the truck drove better. I used Monroe #34787 shocks. The NAPA part number is: 76787.
The following is not my review. I'm not disagreeing with anybody. Just posting what I found as it might be something to consider.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Monroe 34787 Gas-Magnum Shock Absorber

Good product; Does not fit the M35A2, April 23, 2011
By K. Vincent "ASE Master" (Dearborn Heights, MI United States)

This review is from: Monroe 34787 Gas-Magnum Shock Absorber (Automotive)
The shocks themselves seem to be a quality part, up to the standards of any Monroe products I've seen in the past. However, I bought these as a replacement for the front shocks on the M35A2 military 2.5 ton cargo truck (based on somebody else's recommendation) and they are about two inches too long for the application. You can get them on if you work at it but they will bottom out very easily. The Monroe 66903 is a better fit. ->Monroe 66903 Gas-Magnum 60 Shock Absorber

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember from my days in the Army, that the right front tires always wore out faster than the left front on M35s, but I don't know why. Both wear out faster if you have a winch, obviously from the extra weight.

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is what I did.

Alignment
New Shocks
Check PResssure regularly

I have a winch on mine. The extra weight in combination with bad shocks and too much air or too little air will cause this issue. I bought the Monroe shocks (yellow, but that is what 24087 is for)

Huge difference!!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire pressure, shocks and rear inter axle drive shaft removal. Even wrote an article for MV Mag about this years ago.
Removing the drive shaft is a must if you spend a lot of time on the highway (or one of the axle halves) since the locked rear axles cause a lot of front tire scrubbing. The turning circle will also be reduced by a yard or so.
On the highway my singled out deuce has over 5,000 miles miles on it with hardly any cupping. Tire pressure 70 psi (1100-20 NDCCs).