• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire/Wheel Covers.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everyone and Happy New Year.

Well, I don't have and enclosure for my MV and for awhile now I've been looking for covers for the tires/wheels for my M1083A1, Myrtle. I want to protect my investment I have put in my tires and wheels from the sun and weather. At this time I have the Goodyear 395/85R20 tires on Myrtle.

I've seen the spare tire cover offered by Grigsby but for 7 tires/wheels it was just $$$.

I also tried a set of these offer by Amazon but they were were for a 295 series wide tire and were very tight and about 8 inches to short. Yes, I thought about adding onto the length but again, not cost effective since I can't do it myself. These were pretty nice covers. I only wish they made a little bigger size that would have fit and I would have been happy!

IMG_5065.JPEG
IMG_5066.JPEG

I took measurements of the tires and I check with several businesses that do upholstering for RV's and boats. To make covers for 7 tires/wheels was crazy $$$$$.

I have seen where other MV owners have made there own covers. I don't have the tools to make them myself, nor do a what to give that a try, I don't see that working out well. I was using tarps strapped down with bungee cords but they last less then a year due UV and the weather. Plus even pulling them tight over the tire they still rub a lot against the wheels and hubs when it is windy, rubbing the powder coating off.

So, I thought I'd check to see if any SS members have found a cover option out there somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Take care,

Tom.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thought is that I 2x's a year spray the tires with tire protection. Sold everywhere but read the labels to see what you are getting. I don't care about the shiny thing but want the chemical to protect to be absorbed.
Does it work? I have no clue but it can't hurt and does not kill the bank.......

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everyone and Happy New Year.

Well, I don't have and enclosure for my MV and for awhile now I've been looking for covers for the tires/wheels for my M1083A1, Myrtle. I want to protect my investment I have put in my tires and wheels from the sun and weather. At this time I have the Goodyear 395/85R20 tires on Myrtle.

I've seen the spare tire cover offered by Grigsby but for 7 tires/wheels it was just $$$.

I also tried a set of these offer by Amazon but they were were for a 295 series wide tire and were very tight and about 8 inches to short. Yes, I thought about adding onto the length but again, not cost effective since I can't do it myself. These were pretty nice covers. I only wish they made a little bigger size that would have fit and I would have been happy!

View attachment 887974
View attachment 887975

I took measurements of the tires and I check with several businesses that do upholstering for RV's and boats. To make covers for 7 tires/wheels was crazy $$$$$.

I have seen where other MV owners have made there own covers. I don't have the tools to make them myself, nor do a what to give that a try, I don't see that working out well. I was using tarps strapped down with bungee cords but they last less then a year due UV and the weather. Plus even pulling them tight over the tire they still rub a lot against the wheels and hubs when it is windy, rubbing the powder coating off.

So, I thought I'd check to see if any SS members have found a cover option out there somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Take care,

Tom.
I live in a farming community and during harvest at the local co-ops they blow all the corn into these 100 yrd long plastic continuous sleves that they cant fit into the silos, When there done with these bags they throw them away and you can not stick your finger through this stuff it black on one side white on the other this gives me the idea to just cut the circles out then the wrap that goes over the tread and just glue the seems so you can just slip them over the tire and your done ! So this might be a cheaper way for tire blankets

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thought is that I 2x's a year spray the tires with tire protection. Sold everywhere but read the labels to see what you are getting. I don't care about the shiny thing but want the chemical to protect to be absorbed.
Does it work? I have no clue but it can't hurt and does not kill the bank.......
Yeah, I use to spray all my vehicles tires with those spray protectants. I stopped that years ago after seeing posted notification at tire centers that stated not to use them as they could damaged the rubber and that they could nullify the warranty. Even Goodyear warns of the chemicals in those protectants, and not to use anything with petroleum products in them as they could affect the rubber's weathering agents.

Also, some other tires manufactures state not to use tire protectants at all.

I'll have to look again at these tire spray protectants and see if there is anything out there that doesn't have petroleum products in them and reconsider them.

Many thanks for the reply!

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep mine in a giant metal building.... but it's not very cost effective. ;-)

I think I'd try to build some simple plywood boxes to just slip over the tires.
Yeah, I would love to have metal building or garage to keep her in but space at my current location and $$$ is a factor. Hopefully we will be building on our land in WV in the near future where we have lots of space, which would include building a large 30' x 40' garage.

As for the boxes, that is a idea and I had not considered. But with that said, in my area plywood and even OSB is over $50.00 a sheet. I would have preferred something that could be folded away and not take up space when not in use, but I will look into it.

Thanks for the idea!

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in a farming community and during harvest at the local co-ops they blow all the corn into these 100 yrd long plastic continuous sleves that they cant fit into the silos, When there done with these bags they throw them away and you can not stick your finger through this stuff it black on one side white on the other this gives me the idea to just cut the circles out then the wrap that goes over the tread and just glue the seems so you can just slip them over the tire and your done ! So this might be a cheaper way for tire blankets
Thanks for the idea. No sewing, just gluing. Just would have to find a strong glue or bonding agent that will not break down under UV rays and weather.
I'll also look into that.

Thanks for the idea!

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you thought about some sort of ATV/Lawnmower cover or one for a large generator. It may fit a little loose unless you come across one with ideal dimensions. I’ve used a few lawnmower covers to cover up random things it wasn’t designed for, that worked great. And most have an elastic band so it would possibly be enough to cover and close off.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A safe protectant for UV is sunscreen. They make it safe to put on your kids skin so it will not hurt your tire. It does not last that long as rain and time will degrade it but its cheap and you can spray it on every week or so. It's good for dashboards too but is a little greasy and can attract dust. I buy it at every garage sale I find it at.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you thought about some sort of ATV/Lawnmower cover or one for a large generator. It may fit a little loose unless you come across one with ideal dimensions. I’ve used a few lawnmower covers to cover up random things it wasn’t designed for, that worked great. And most have an elastic band so it would possibly be enough to cover and close off.
Thanks for the idea. I'll take a look.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good idea!
I also contacted a couple of American based tire cover manufacturers yesterday, and told them of the need of the military vehicle community for tire covers big enough to fit the tires they have. Hopefully at least one of them will respond with an interest in making those.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just found this also its a fire pit cover but should do what your wanting also

LBTING Fire Pit Cover, 48 inch Cover for 40-48 inch Round Firepit, Waterproof Windproof Dustproof UV-Resistant Heavy Duty Cover for Outdoor Patio Firepit Table - Black https://a.co/d/h2jv6R9
Wow, that looks like a possible option. Although, as it is made, I would have to lift the tires off the ground to put them on and off. Of course I can alter them. Cut it through on one side, cutting the cord (drawstring) and cut out the area where the tread touches the surface. Extend the drawstring so to pull the cover tight around the tire.
Mmm, may work. For the price, I think I might buy one and see if I can make it work.

Thanks for the idea!

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good idea!
I also contacted a couple of American based tire cover manufacturers yesterday, and told them of the need of the military vehicle community for tire covers big enough to fit the tires they have. Hopefully at least one of them will respond with an interest in making those.
The covers I got from Amazon were made by Adco. I called the company to see if they made a larger size cover that would fit the tires. They advised that they did not. :( I also asked them if they could made a slightly large tire cover to fit the large military tires and they did not seem to be interested. :(

I don't know, but I wonder if we could get enough MV owners to commit to buying covers, at a reasonable price, if we could convince a company to make a size that would fit? :unsure:

I hope your request goes better.

Many thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that looks like a possible option. Although, as it is made, I would have to lift the tires off the ground to put them on and off. Of course I can alter them. Cut it through on one side, cutting the cord (drawstring) and cut out the area where the tread touches the surface. Extend the drawstring so to pull the cover tight around the tire.
Mmm, may work. For the price, I think I might buy one and see if I can make it work.

Thanks for the idea!
Let us know how it works, pictures

Third From Texas

I just found this also its a fire pit cover but should do what your wanting also

LBTING Fire Pit Cover, 48 inch Cover for 40-48 inch Round Firepit, Waterproof Windproof Dustproof UV-Resistant Heavy Duty Cover for Outdoor Patio Firepit Table - Black https://a.co/d/h2jv6R9
I like that. Ideally, you just cut out the section where the tire meets the ground (stitch or even glue the new edge).

Hard to beat fore that price....

ToddJK

I also suggest the fire pit cover. Another thing I'd add is to use some rubber conditioner to help protect the tires further. I use aircraft rubber conditioner I found on Amazon and it leaves a matte finish, no shine so the tire looks like it's brand new.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks