• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire/wheel options for M105a2

kbieber8

Hello,

I have a question regarding a newly purchased 1968 m105a2 trailer. I would like to be able to swap the tire size or both tire and wheel size so the trailer will sit lower and tow flat behind my truck. I will be keeping the stock tires and wheels also because I want to easily be able to swap back to original. Does anyone know what wheel pattern I would be looking for? Is there an adapter that can be purchased to put on the axle so a civilian wheel can be used? This possible?

Thanks,
Kyle

3dAngus

About the best you can do is use M1061 trailer tires and wheels.
They are the same on the ammo trailer. I forgot what it is called.

kbieber8

I would tow it behind an F350. Has 235/85/16. I would like to have a tire and wheel I could put on the trailer so it would tow level then I could put the military ones on when I wanted. I want to keep it stock.

3dAngus

A F350 with 235/85/16s. Wow. I'm really surprised, or, maybe I misunderstood.

Anyway, another option, is sell it and get a M1101/1102 and put GMC 2500 wheels on it.
I've done that. It helps, but I don't like the shiny alum wheels so I took them back off.

You're not going to get a M105A2 level with a vehicle even with M1061/bolster tires and pintle hitch leveler. I've done it. I will do it again, and it gets very close. But then you have the brake issue. The F350 will stop the 2540 pounds OK, but if you carry a load, it might be a different story and push you out in the road at that stop sign or light.

The M1101/1102 will carry about as much as the M105 at 1.4 tons, but has surge brakes built in, is 1000 pounds lighter due to it's improved aluminum body, and tracks well. It is not as long however.

What you are trying to do with a M105 is more costly then the M105 and it still won't be right due to the big spring pack, (which can be rerouted to under the axle to lower it) and tires and brakes. Just something to think about. As always, do it your way. Good luck.

By the way, if you do decide to reroute the spring pack under the axle instead of above it where it normally sits, consider you are also derating the load capacity of the 1.5 ton offroad, by an indeterminant amount. It has been done before.

FSRD

Has anyone ever flipped the springs on the trailer to lower it? I would just remove the smaller set of Springs and keep the bigger ones but flip them.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Civy trucks used for a while, 22.5 tubeless wheels with the same Budd 6 hole pattern. They're not real common, but probably more common the Bolster wheels. Check with tire shops. With a couple of those, there are bunches of 22.5 tubeless tires available. Manny of which are the small ones that they run on the step deck lowboys.

Still, your faced with a heavy trailer, without brakes.

profo

I went the other way wanted taller tires 365-80r-20 on MRAP aluminum rims with homemade adapter plates to match bobber truck also raised my bows 15" to fit golf cart and lengthened tongue for easier backing! image.jpg

Reactions: 98G

combat32

My friend runs isuzu truck wheels on his i think, the ones from a box truck, as far as i know they bolt right up and are tubeless

Special T

The 6 hole bud design is fairly common but harder to come across 19.5 17.5 16 or 15" stuff. Tubeless 19.5&16" used tires are easy to find anywhere

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put Goodyear G177's on my M105A2. I was able to reuse my wheels and it matches my M35A2, and thus, again, can share the same spare tire. The sidewall on the tires is so strong that when the trailer is empty, the tire will not have full tread contact with the ground. I stopped airing down at 20 PSI, and probably need to air back up to 25-30 PSI. Still, I'm not unhappy with this, it's just an observation.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...20s-(dualed)&p=1765977&viewfull=1#post1765977

Last edited:
Reactions: 98G

morepower59

Hi, just saw your post. I bought 6 tires/wheels for mine M105 to lower it. I have 3 left over if you would be interested. $150 for all three. They lowered my trailer down 5". The tires are now 19.5 which is a very common tire.
Jim
814 380-2500

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks