• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires for a M101A1

jvrotter

What options are available for a M101A1 with the M37 rims.? Are there any other rims out there that could take a tubless tire or am I stuck with the split rims? I really don't want to buy another trailer to lika an A2 or A3.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the thought about taking a 70s GM corporate 3/4 or 1 ton rear axle and swapping it under. They are full floaters so I planned on taking the axle shafts out and cutting the flanges off and throwing the shaft and using just the flanges on the hub to act as a cap. Then cutting the center section out on the housing and replacing it with a tube to get the ground clearance and moving the spring perches or replacing them if need be. If I keep the guts in the drums, the GM parking brake cables will still work. You have figure out if the wheel bearings can be packed with grease or have to still run in oil. At least you could use modern 16" or 16.5" wheels.
I was going to start the project last fall, but got too much snow before I pulled the rear end. It is on my list of things to do this summer.

URBNFLX

I have the thought about taking a 70s GM corporate 3/4 or 1 ton rear axle and swapping it under.
Wouldn't it be easier to order an electric brake axle with the width and backspacing of your liking? I know it will be cheaper to use junk yard stuff but man... seem like a lot of work and the 14bolt is a heavy axle even if you cut the center section out of it... No need to run it in oil as its only needed for the R/P to function. the outer's hold grease in a separate area protected by seals which since you wouldn't be runnin oil, you wont need anyway. just out of curiosity... how would you utilize the hydraulic brakes from the stock setup on a M101A1 since it has not surge brake mechanism?

Oldfart

I haven't checked the drum size on my M101, but I have had a machine shop cut the centers out of tubed rims that I wanted to up grade to tubeless I then had those centers welded into a set of tubeless drop center rims.

DAP

That is what I did for My M37 so they look a lot like the original Budds except back spacing is a bit more (1/4-3/4 inch) so the wheel sticks out a little further. I had mine done at Stockton's in CA but somebody said they just went out of business. I looked at the website and it seemed like everything was still in place. Can anybody confirm Stockton Wheel in California is out of business or not?

Last edited: