• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires. Largest size that will fit....

MrM4

I bought my 1st Deuce this morning, early 70s with a 105 trailer upgraded in 1991 according to the tag. This will be my Deuce Bobber project. I have read allot all over the web and here on SS but I have yet to get a common answer as to how large of tires you can run on a bobbed deuce . This one will be have a 105 box and 105 springs for rear suspension as well as Stock rims that have been flipped?

Alot of guys say 49" is the limit but there are others who say they are running the 16.00-20s which from what I understand are about 54" on their bobber with no lift.
From what I have read here the stock rims are narrow and can be difficult to get the larger tire on, I'd really like to run a large set of XZL 53s but I would settle for a XL49s. At this time I don't want put any more money in the rims but I may be able to swing the custom super singles or hemmits in the future, for now I need to make stock rims due.

Looking for alitte advise on what will fit and who to buy them from.

Thanks,
Matt

91W350

I would stop at 1100s on the stock wheels. I know a lot of guys are running larger tires, but the bead seating is risky and designed for a different type of wheel, in addition to the width. A quick search will cough up a really in depth conversation over this. Glen

KsM715

Alot of guys are running 395's on stock rims and I havent seen any posts about tires and rims coming apart...........YET.

The more that do it, to more the chance of seeing it happen. Would I run 395's on stock rims? Yes. Anything larger? No. Stock rims are just way to narrow to run anything bigger. IIRC I have seen a bobbed truck with 16's and no lift but I dont remember what rims he had on it.

Where is the rebuild tag on your truck? Its not the little triangle tag just inside the drivers door is it?

Edit: this one is not lifted but it has a cut down stock bed. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/requirements-new-members/63311-newbie-jersey.html Looking at that one and mine (105 bed) I dont think they would fit without raising the bed. My bed sits on 3/4" oak right on top of the deuce frame. It would be pretty simple to raise the bed by using some square tubing in whatever height you need.

Last edited:

dilligaf13

Welcome. Just be concious that it's not just about what will fit but more importantly what the engine can turn and the brakes can stop. I've got 49" Michelins on mine with no problems so far.

MrM4

Where is the rebuild tag on your truck? Its not the little triangle tag just inside the drivers door is it?

Yeah that is what I was looking at, I dont know if its really a "rebuild tag" from what Ive read sounds more like an up grade of some type.

I wouldnt mind lifting the box to clear 16.00-20s but if wider rims are a MUST HAVE to run them I would like to know now rather then order them and find out I cant run them until I buy new rims.

The box raising is an easy fix, was wondering if the front end can handle the 16.00-20s without a lift or rims that sit further to the outside?

KsM715

Thats the MWO for installing seat belts. ( easy mistake made by 1st time owners)

There might be some rubbing on the exhaust on the front with out a lift, or offset wheels.

JasonS

I have 395 MVT on Marsh Racing wheels and they are about as big as I would go with using stock springs/no lift. I did try 1600s but there was only about 2" clearance between the tire and fender and the tires frequently caught the fender.

Ridgerunner

My bed sits on 3/4" oak right on top of the deuce frame. It would be pretty simple to raise the bed by using some square tubing in whatever height you need.
The easiest way to gain clearance in the rear of a Bobbed Deuce when running a M105 box. Is to cut the tongue off the M105, and leave the trailer frame attached under the box, and mount the frame and box on top of the Deuce frame.

That is how I did mine.

Also, if you ever wanted to turn it into a dumper later on, you have the (sub frame) there already for it.

jerseyjeep2003

Alot of guys are running 395's on stock rims and I havent seen any posts about tires and rims coming apart...........YET.

The more that do it, to more the chance of seeing it happen. Would I run 395's on stock rims? Yes. Anything larger? No. Stock rims are just way to narrow to run anything bigger. IIRC I have seen a bobbed truck with 16's and no lift but I dont remember what rims he had on it.

Edit: this one is not lifted but it has a cut down stock bed. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/requirements-new-members/63311-newbie-jersey.html Looking at that one and mine (105 bed) I dont think they would fit without raising the bed. My bed sits on 3/4" oak right on top of the deuce frame. It would be pretty simple to raise the bed by using some square tubing in whatever height you need.
Mine has no lift and the original bed sitting on the 3/4" oak strips between it and the frame. Yes I do have issues with rubbing when articulated, particularly on the exhaust where it comes through the inner front fender. I am running the 16 x 20 Michelins (supposedly measure 53" new) Power is OK, top end is about 70 mph @ 2400 RPM, a little slow off the line but not too bad considering the 10,980 # GVW. Braking is decent, but, I leave about 3 football fields between me and the mini van in front of me...lol, just in case.

JasonS

Mine has no lift and the original bed sitting on the 3/4" oak strips between it and the frame. Yes I do have issues with rubbing when articulated, particularly on the exhaust where it comes through the inner front fender. I am running the 16 x 20 Michelins (supposedly measure 53" new) Power is OK, top end is about 70 mph @ 2400 RPM, a little slow off the line but not too bad considering the 10,980 # GVW. Braking is decent, but, I leave about 3 football fields between me and the mini van in front of me...lol, just in case.
IMHO, the 1600s have a cadillac ride.

MrM4

I'd really love to run 53s but this thing is going to be off roading way more then it will be on roading, so the rubbing is an issue for me. I might look into a small lift for the front end to see what it would take to run 53 with full articulation abilities.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks