• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires mysteriously going flat (M818 + FMTV rims + Michelin 395/85R20)

Makincold

So I upgraded my NDT's to super single FMTV tires and rims right before the 2010 GA rally on my M818
Never had a moments problem
Fast forward 2012 GA Rally
I "air down" to about 30psi for the trail rides , go play in the mud, get stuck, do some hill climbs, traction is no issue have a blast! ( but I digress...)
Before hitting the road for the 40 mile trip home I air back up to 65 PSI, drive home and park her and in December I notice a back rear tire going flat, I air back up to 65 psi and it starts going flat faster. I assume o-ring I have read so much about... But get some soap water and realize its actually leaking between the rim and bead, only on about 1/8 the circumference blowing big bubbles... I spray some silicone spray on it thinking it might be dry rubber, no joy here...
So the leak actually gets worse, I decide a new tire (it is the worst one of the 6 anyway....)
Now in January a front tire does the same thing! Just starts leaking out of the blue.
I pump it up to 100 PSI hoping its a seating issue and now it goes down bead/rim on part of the circumference n a matter of days. Its now totally flat. (leaking the same way around the bead)
Unlike the rear tire with the weight of the engine the bead actually pushes away from the rim and I can see there is a sealant of some type, almost looks like a yellowed silicone compound

Is there some sealant that has to be on these tires and rims, unlike any tubeless tire I have ever seen?
Why did it wait 2 years to start happening?
Am I doomed to see 4 more go flat?
What is the fix? Do I have to remove every tire and rim, and break them down?

Not sure what to do next, any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:

GHall

Maybe try a grinder with a wire wheel and take it to the surface of the rim that makes contact with the tire (bead) around the whole circumference and after prime the rim where you cleaned it as to not rust the rim from the inside out. Then use some good tire lube when re seating the tire. Worth a shot..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks