• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires other than Military MTRs

Jsmith1529

I've had my M998 for about 2 years now and it's been the best second vehicle I've ever had. Truck bed when needed, great for camping. One of my tires runs down to 5 psi in a week and it does scare me from time to time. I dont want to replace the wheels and I dont want to spend a fortune on surplus MTRs. I haven't ventured out to any other sizes than the 37x12.5x16.5 in my search cause I didn't think they would work with the 16.5" wheel. Can I use a tire that's for a 17 or some other size wheel with the beedlocks?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I've had my M998 for about 2 years now and it's been the best second vehicle I've ever had. Truck bed when needed, great for camping. One of my tires runs down to 5 psi in a week and it does scare me from time to time. I dont want to replace the wheels and I dont want to spend a fortune on surplus MTRs. I haven't ventured out to any other sizes than the 37x12.5x16.5 in my search cause I didn't think they would work with the 16.5" wheel. Can I use a tire that's for a 17 or some other size wheel with the beedlocks?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Any big tires cost for civilian vehicles compared to those of the bigger trucks.

You have BFG Bajas to choose from. Interco makes 37x12.5x16.5s. Beadlocks are made for a 16.5in wheel

There are new nankang tires that look like a goodyear MT for around $385 each shipped to your door.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bead on these rims is at an angle and is short and without a bead lock you run the risk of the tire disengaging from the bead/rim.

I am told that because of the short area of engagement at the bead on the 16.5 inch rims, it would be a real risk to run 17 inch tires and it is not recommended.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you don't care about things like safety, then you can run anything you want.

It's recommended though by pretty much every tire manufacturer and the department of transportation that you only run the tires designed for a specific type/size of rim. So according to them, only use 16.5 inch tires on 16.5 inch wheels.

If you are looking for lower cost, then you might also see if TreadWright has any remold tires in stock. Unlike a regular retread tire, instead of replacing just the tread portion, they recap the entire exterior of the casing.
Price is good, but their warranty didn't cover 16.5" tires because they were manufactured as "off road only"
Most reviews are decent to good, but there are the occasional issues, and I haven't used them myself, but I've seen them on a few other people's rigs and they seem to like them.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would never buy a tire that comes without a warranty.

So far my HMMWV's shoes are good, but when I start longer drives I will have choices to make.

DREDnot

The three main mil spec tires(radial) Ive seen are the Goodyear MT, Goodyear MTR, and the BFG BAJA.
I have the BAJA on 24 bolt wheels

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks