• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires & Sprag Transfer

comdiver

How much difference in tire height between the front and rear tires can my sprag deuce handle? At what point will the transfer engage? What if you had new tires on one axle and used on the other, let's say 1/2" difference?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1/2" difference in diam is normal, even new there are variations btw. different brands. (9.00-20 Denman almost 41" vs. Cooper 40.5")
The resulting 1% speed difference means nothing for your sprag TC: Rear tires combined have to slip 7% before front axle starts pulling too. In other words for every one complete revolution of the rear axles the front does only .93 while engaged. So to equal speeds while going straight your front tires had to be diam. of the rears divided by .93 larger. If the rears were worn 9.00-20s at 40" the front would have to be 43" !Doing a turn the fronts have to rotate faster so that even increases the allowed difference.
Clear enough? :wink:

comdiver

I new I had seen the % of slip somewhere, thank you. Two more questions. If you loose your middle drive shaft, to the rears, will the transfer engage the front and be drivable? Does anyone have a set of drive flanges/hubs that I could despline?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you lose that shaft, the overrrunning clutch will engage. Desplined hubs on a sprag truck will be of no benefit unless you remove the front driveshaft. If you install the desplined hubs, the overrunning will engage and keep everything turning.

comdiver

I was thinking that if I had a "summer" trip dropping the front drive shaft would be worth while if I had a set of hubs made up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks