• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires wearing out too fast

Kenneth Cole

Hi
I got my Humvee about 8 months ago and I knew the rear tires were getting down there and so I got 2 tires off of Ebay that were at about 85% tread. I have only had them on about 3,000 miles and the rear tires are less then 40%.
Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Sintorion

I think we can all be sure that it wasn't from smoking the tires. :grin:

How are you determining the wear? percentages with tires are grossly over estimated. You need a tread depth gauge and start from there. The Goodyears start with 21/32 of tread. Are you saying that you started with around 18/32 and now have 8/32 3000 miles later? You would have left a trail of rubber to do that. As Papakb asked, what do the tires like?

Kenneth Cole

Hi
The tires are radials and the wear is mostly on the center. I don't have a tread depth gage but the fronts are about 1/2" deep and the two rear are 5/16" on the right and 3/16" on the left. When I got her the rear left was also the most worn.

Ken

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are your rear brakes dragging?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the center tread is worn, your running too much pressure. Try using the chalk metod to find the correct tire pressure.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much air pressure are you running them at?

diesel dave

My tires were wearing out faster than I thought they should. Spent the big bucks ($65) and went to the local Chevy dealer for a 4 point alignment. I could immediately feel the difference. Rolled so much easier. Tire wear has slowed dramatically.

Action

Could the exhaust heat have anything to do with faster wear at that tire? My left/rear wears faster too. But mine are even wear with all 4 presssures the same.

Sintorion

This all sounds like speculation. You need a tread depth gauge. Take measurements across the width. At this point any advice here is unfounded because you don't know what it was before and how that relates to where you are now. The only way the centers will wear faster than the shoulders is over inflation and that pronounced wear would only occur in 3000 miles with some serious over inflation coupled with very high speed driving. That obviously isn't possible in a Humvee.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Center tread wearing can also be a radial pull and belt separation of an impending tire going. It would look more uneven and the tire would start to ride and feel very harsh.

Awol

The MTR's wear like iron, so for them to wear that much something isn't right.

tage

old tire + heat. I could see it. All tires off gas, add some heat to help speed it up. They usually throw off chunks of rubber, or the rubber is very gritty/soft.
It's not normal though.

Kenneth Cole

Hi
Yes I don't have a tread depth gage but I am using a machinist ruler and I know that the rear tires were about 90% when I put them on and that was only about 3000 miles ago. I have 30 PSI in the tires. Some have talked about wheel alignment. I am new to the Humvee and is it because of the independent suspension the you can align the rear tires? Is this something that a regular tire shop can do?

Ken

cwajciec

I aligned mine with a string and a measuring tape per the TMs. They were way off in the rear. IF you have toed in or out rears then they would wear very quickly. Spec is slightly toed out in the rear and toed in in the front. Both can be adjusted with a pipe wrench on the tie rods in the front and similar links in the rear. Try that first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks