• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tires

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
36 x 12.50 x 16.5 on stock M880 wheels.
Truck has an extra leaf in the front.
Going down the paved road the outside 1 1/2 inch of the tread does not touch. which keeps the noise down.
They handle/ride better than I expected.
I won't keep these on this truck long as I can't risk the fenders :cry:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard that HMMWV tires on an M880 will eat the fenders when you go offroad. Is there a minimum lift that should be performed in order to safely put 36" HMMWV tires on the -880 series? 3"? 4"?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
N1265 said:
whats up with your bumper markings ?
???? Whadaya mean?

maddawg308 said:
I've heard that HMMWV tires on an M880 will eat the fenders when you go offroad. Is there a minimum lift that should be performed in order to safely put 36" HMMWV tires on the -880 series? 3"? 4"?
Don't know the real answer on the amount of lift req'd
Those tires rub on level ground, full turn.
but I think 3 inch would do it. trimming of the lower rear portion, of the front fende rwells may still be req'g but the fenders should clear

N1265

BOB Wrote : Whadaya mean?

The numbers on your front bumper look to me to be : 76401 - 7246 I was just wondering what they stood for I dont recall ever seening a bumber marked like that.

Hoot_223

are u still running the stock 4.10 ratio? with that size tire, i just got my 37x12.50R16.5 tires mounted, but i havent drove it with them yet, because i have had some manual transmission problems, i broke a shift fork

they are the goodyear MT military OZ

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thread revivied! Bob, I purchased an M880. Tires are crispy. I'm trying to figure a way to drag the truck home behind the deuce. Do you think I could put the 37" HMMWV radials on stock wheels and get it to turn enough to follow me home? The deuce is not a sharp turning vehicle anyways.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Thread revivied! Bob, I purchased an M880. Tires are crispy. I'm trying to figure a way to drag the truck home behind the deuce. Do you think I could put the 37" HMMWV radials on stock wheels and get it to turn enough to follow me home? The deuce is not a sharp turning vehicle anyways.
Hmmmm.....
In my experience with a tow bar on things bigger & heavier than a jeep, it is rare that the towed vehicle wheels turn to full lock when being dragged around a corner.

The tires would likely rub on the rear of the inner fenderwells when turning,
the radial hmmwv tires have less aggressive tread blocks than the bias ply which may cause less damage if they did rub. on a right turn the LF would probably hit the pitman arm before the RF would hit the fenderwell.
In the 1st pic in this thread the tires are turned about as far as can be .
IIRC the pic you posted, the front does not seam to sag much, that is a plus.
If you could limit the amount the wheels could be turned somehow, i.e. rope or cable or blocks or something............ I'm sure the deuce wouldn't mind dragging the front of an 880 a little sideways on the tighter turns.

Also the 880 doesn't have a idler arm to help return the wheels to center, bungee cords from steering wheel to seat frame or????????
Just thinkin out loud here.........

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think I'm going to try it. Like you said, if worst comes to worst, I can lock the wheels down straight.

44CCKW

The humvee tires will fit on a stock M880.But you cannot drive the truck. They will rub HARD on the steering linkage.You will need a 4 inch lift minimum to run them without rubbing. Also you will need to switch to a power steering unit.The manual steering linkage comes out the side of the box and will rub when turning to the right.I have a 4" lift and power steering on mine and have had no problems with it unless I get the truck really twisted up off road.Then they will rub.

Lawrence of Arabia

HMMWV Tires

I had them on my M887 in Saudi and just trimmed the bottom corners of the fenders and never had a problem. I recently put them on my ambulance with a 4" lift and it feels good going down the road but the front clip shakes pretty good at 55MPH.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks