• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Title Drama

JamesM

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and new to the world of Military Vehicles.

A good buddy of mine has a few of them and he has sparked my interest.

I recently ran across a nice M35A2...tan hard top with winch...locally listed for $4500. (which seems like a good deal for a truck in this condition??)

I have been in contact with the guy who owns it for a while and now have a bit of 'unsettling' (at least to me) information regarding the title...or lack thereof.

He said that I will only receive a bill of sale with the purchase. No SF97 or anything like that.

Upon making a few calls today to the DMV and to the local tax collector's office, it has come to my attention that the bill of sale is required in conjunction with the SF97. :/

Now, I want to buy the truck..badly..but also want to drive it around (which requires that I have a registration..which means I need a title. lol)

Does anyone know or can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere where I can get a title with just the Bill of Sale? Or do I need to try to request something more than a BOS from the seller? (Though he was pretty clear in stating I would only be receiving a BOS with the purchase, nothing more)

Sorry if the post is out of place...but I figured maybe someone here has experienced a similar situation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

---James

davidkroberts

titles are a thorn in the side with MV collectors...lots of Florida guys on here who can help. There are titling companies who will issue a title but it cost a bit. The florida guys will probably be able to help you out. Its very dependent on what state your in and im a Tennessee guy..... Welcome by the way.

jdmcgowen

Find another truck or tell him to find the SF97. Buy one that's titled. MUCH easier. There are tons of great trucks out there for not too much money. Don't fall for the first one you see. $4,500 seems way too much for an untitled truck, espeacialy in that area.

littlebob

Check with your state laws as they are all a little different. If that works in your state it may work and the buyer might have bought it to resell and the taxes where he is would kill his profit. I don't think it works like that here as my Wife has worked with cars at banks here and it really complicates thing when crossing state lines with different laws.nopics

firebuilder

Tell the owner to title it and offer to pay the fees. If he doesn't have the right paperwork to title it himself, it sounds like you'll be stuck going through one of the title services. Seems to me that most of the recent posts I've read about the title services have been about problems. But that is just the my opinion and I don't own any green iron yet, so I don't have any experience, just the knowledge I've gained reading here.

JamesM

titles are a thorn in the side with MV collectors...lots of Florida guys on here who can help. There are titling companies who will issue a title but it cost a bit. The florida guys will probably be able to help you out. Its very dependent on what state your in and im a Tennessee guy..... Welcome by the way.

I heard about the title companies but I haven't been able to find any. I just started searching for them though.

I have only found information about how a lot of people don't like buying cars that have been titled through a titling company...but I don't see me selling this anytime soon. haha

JamesM

Tell the owner to title it and offer to pay the fees. If he doesn't have the right paperwork to title it himself, it sounds like you'll be stuck going through one of the title services. Seems to me that most of the recent posts I've read about the title services have been about problems. But that is just the my opinion and I don't own any green iron yet, so I don't have any experience, just the knowledge I've gained reading here.

Not a bad idea...though he really hasn't been all that accommodating thus far. haha.

Worth an ask though. Appreciate it.

JamesM

Find another truck or tell him to find the SF97. Buy one that's titled. MUCH easier. There are tons of great trucks out there for not too much money. Don't fall for the first one you see. $4,500 seems way too much for an untitled truck, espeacialy in that area.

I know he doesn't have the SF97 because he buys these chiefly to sell them...I guess he gets around not having a dealer's license by not titling them in his name..

JamesM

Yes, true....oh so true. Each state has their own way of doing things. Here in PA without a title, or an SF97 in YOUR name you are screwed. However, I live 5 miles south of the NY line and know how New York does things. New York is one of the nice states. Bill of sale is all you need.

So, if you know someone in NY you could have it bought in their name. They could register it. End up with a NY title which you could then change over to FL title in your name. Little bit of a run around. But it doesn't cost anywhere near the same as if you used one of the Title companies.

Any of you NY guys can add or correct me on this if I don't have it right.

Good to know. I do know a few people in NY who would probably help me out.

Definitely worth a phone call...

paulfarber

RUN.

$4500 is not a good price for a GL truck (does it still have the chalk markings on the bumper?).

Its a horrible price with a title IN HAND.

If this guy flips the trucks then he knows what a PITA the title can be without a SF97. If he DOESN'T then what else is wrong with the truck.

Now DOUBLE TIME it out of that deal unless the seller makes it right.

JamesM

It does not have the chalk markings from GL on the bumpers.

I honestly do not know the story behind the truck i.e. where he got it or anything like that....all I know is that he does not have a title.

I am going to make a few phone calls tomorrow to my friends in NY to see if they are willing to help me out.

The truck appears to be in good condition and I will of course go with someone who knows the trucks inside and out to make sure that it is in as good a condition as the seller insists that it is.

The titling through NY seems to be an easier/faster/cheaper way to go as opposed to a titling company.

I will see what I can find out and I will let you guys know.

Thanks for all of the helpful info! I appreciate it and I hope that I will be posting in the 'Member's Rides" forum very soon whether it is with this truck or another.

---James

sodslinger

Remember that when you re-title it into FL the state will charge you 225$ as there fee's have gone through the roof. The only good part of Florida is the PERMANENT antique tag.

JamesM

Yeah...That fee is not that big of a deal to me...I mean it is faster than the titling company and probably cheaper...

I am excited to get the truck lol...so the $225 is money well spent as far as I'm concerned. lol

When most of you guys bought your trucks from another civilian, did you have the right forms or did you have to do something like this?

SuperiorRam

When I seen the truck I was gunna buy there was no stoping me in getting it I was told bill of sale also witch I thought was fine as we have delt with title services on our hot rods bu thankfully I called every title service and they are about screwed on titling anything over 8000# I then turned to the seller and said title or no sale witch sucked but I had to protect MYSELF not the truck I wanted there a deals everywhere and all these trucks are so close to the same (scratch that identical) it's not funny go ahead pay 4500 but you'll kick yerself later when you realize it's been painted 65 times and you see another for half the price and that it's nothing to paint the darn thing tan of all colors

GoHot229

It seems that we get this topic every other week or so, typically by new members looking to get into their first MV. There is a reason WHY.... they don't have a title usually. And in the BEST of all scenarios, it's because it was lost. If that's the case then all's well, as they can go to DMV and apply for a duplicate......easy enough. BUT if theres no SF97 or title, theres something amiss.....there has to be. Everyone that has ever posted here that had gotten an MV, was way jazzed and went on to 'Do' something to it, fix, restore, add, do something.... and they were giddy with anticipation of driving it or playing around with it. There are not any storries here where the guy/gal got an MV and just brought it home and said Mehhh..... cool. No, they were excited, and went on to title it and liscense it for the road. Verrrry fiew if any got one JUST for off-road, though that is a possability, though I'd think could be counted on one hand, instead they could hardly be contained with their"Jazzed". What I'm getting at, is if there is a problem with a title, pretty much everything comes to a standstill, discouragment follows, and a hopeless task feeling. In other words, theres something not being told here.... it has a lean, it doesn't really belong to them or they were too lazy to follow through with the paperwork, mailing and such, or a trip to go get the paperwork. It just wreaks of 'crooked'.. You will see all sorts of horror stories RIGHT here on SS, about members who got 'TOOK' by some shady scammer. Don't be that VICTIM........ STOP.... and get a grip, if you want one, one will come along. Don't get so antsy that you make bad decisions, it doesn't matter how bichen it is, if its stolen or leaned or for whatever reason NOT titled, what guarrantees that you will be able to work with and get it titled on your own, sometimes even doing something yourself just skirting the law to get yourself a tittle on this investment that mabe you knew better than buy. Like I said.... theres scores of storries where members got took here. The best advice is: no title, its SCRAP/PARTS...............stick to that!!!!!!!! Something will come up that you can get into with all the ducks in a row, wait for it, or search it out, unless you have a fiew K to just gamble away, mabe for good...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
NO TITLE, NO SALE

also ONE more thing, without a title, you have no idea if the seller can legally sell the truck, no matter what he tells you its not like somebody you know or a long time SSer

another thing, if the seller did not take title, there may be a lot of back fees and fines that you will have to pay. i once brought a pickup with no power train for parts, this truck sat in the guys back yard for 5 years, no plates, i decided to install a power train , checked with the DVM on putting tags on, left the DVM with still a parts truck , as they wanted almost $600 for back fees and fines, i was not going to pay the DVM almost SIX times what i paid for the truck

unless you extra money to loose, if that be the case , send it to me,, ill put it to good use

NO TITEL, NO SALE

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winch trucks with a hard top do go for 4500 or so. However, no title is a huge issue. Here in GA anything older than 1986 sells with a BOS only. Transferring to another state if it was registered here is simple. I would avoid this one in FL just too big a hassle, and I also have heard Broadway and International aren't doing the over 8K title transfers anymore which would make it a very expensive parts truck in FL. Just take a weekend and come to GA/AL and buy one from one of the members here that is registered and save the money and hassle.

Scarecrow1

Hi and welcome James , Your best bet is to find another truck ,SWorry but your about to open pandoras box . If they lost the SF97 and it came from GL like most have after one year GL won't provide a dup at any cost. Also if he now owns the truck and can't get a title dosen't that send you a clear warning as to the trouble ahead for the new owner ........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks