• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Title Fun

Stihl029

Hey Has anyone had a story like this one? What have you done to get it all straightened out?

So I was doing some voluenteer type community service work at the Salvation Army here in Kodiak last year. While I was there I noticed a CUCV that was dead in the parking lot. I asked around and found out that it was for sale. So after a few phone calls I went down there with my friend. My friend wanted to purchase the m1028 which we discovered it was and did. A bill of sale was done the individual selling the truck turned over the title, which he had signed on the back of since he had not titled the vehicle himself. We loaded up the truck on a trailer using the chainsaw type winches; and took it back to a hanger where it got a tire, batteries, rebuilt I/P, Injectors, CV Glow plugs, and a by pass on the GP Controller card. It was then moved to apartment. My friend transfered to the East Coast and I bought the m1028 off him. I moved it near my shop at work and then drove it around a bit. Discovered that the drivers side spindle and hub were shot got the parts and putting them in soon. I had the day off for my B-day so I figured that I would go and get the title and registration all straightened out with the DMV...guess what not going that easy. I discovered that the individual that my friend bought the truck from was in Jail. Several phone calls later and being treated like I was a felon I have an address to mail the guy at or I can fly to Anchorage and visit him in person. So now what to do?

I am wondering since he is behind bars an all will he be able to get the title straightend out and then I can truct him to send it to me?

Should I see about getting a power of attourney on the rig for him and then hit up the DMV?

This part is too shady to do really but it involves the junk yard and having the rig bought back to life as the vin of another... I am not really interested in this one since it just doesn't sit right with me. I only bring it up cause it was an option I had heard in the past.

I am thinking that I like the Idea of the POA the best and since I am Active Duty it should be a breaze to get one, at least when I got one to give my Dad POA in the past it was.

Thanks for any advice, I just don't wanna loose this rig after so much time and effort have gone into it.

Crash_AF

Do the POA route. He should be able to get it notarized by one of the court clerks inside the jail and provide it to you, then you can handle everything with the DMV without the worry that he will not return the title to you when it's clear.

Another route you might be able to take through the salvage yard, rather than 'cloning' the vehicle is to have them file a 'storage lien' on it as an abandoned vehicle. Then they get the title on it and you buy the vehicle from them. I have used this method in the past with trucks that I knew were clean and legit, but the paperwork had been lost due to length of time between transfers. I DEFINITELY would not recommend tampering with the VIN to get a clean title.

Good luck with it.

Later,
Joe

Blood_of_Tyrants

Similar to the salvage yard 'storage lien', I believe that most states allow a shop (and maybe even an individual) to put a mechanic's lien against the vehicle. You said that you have fixed it and put your money into it, therefore you have a lien against it. This is probably a slow route to follow, but it would probably work.

But I would try to get the guy in jail to sign it and the court clerk to notarize it first.

Michael

Does the title go back to the guy in jail or the person the guy in jail bought it from? It sounds to me like the state still thinks the person the guy in jail bought it from still owns it since the guy in jail didn't process the title into his name. You might get the person whose name is on the title to get a new title and sign it over to you.

In Mississippi, I would just get a title bond on the truck and get a bonded title.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Doghead mentioned, Broadway Title. I've used them for 2 vehicles and everything went very smoothly.

papercu

which he had signed on the back of since he had not titled the vehicle himself
If it wasn't titled in his name what do you need him for? Wouldn't you need to go to the title owner? 84 or 85 wouldn't need a title in GA or maybe other states for tags. Wayne

moose53

title companies only work where the vehicle hasn't been titled. This CUCV is already titled in the state he's in. That vehicle has passed through too many hands with nobody doing the paperwork. If he hadn't signed the back of the title it would have been a lot simpler. The POA would be my first try, the titled owner my plan B at this point...

Jim

jag7720

Go the Lost Automobile and Old Car Titles route. Or one similar.

I did this with two Russian motorcycles and it works.

What they do is, you sell them the truck for $1 and then they are a registerd dealer in Rhode Island (I think) and then they sell it back to you for $1.

See, in Rhode Island, a car over 20 years old doesn't get a title... only a registration.
All the states accept this as i looked in the book that our DMV had when they didn't know what to do and it states plainly that RI vehicle over 20 yrs only have a registration.

Perfectly legal!

It was something like $150.

Stihl029

Ok So bringing my old thread back to life. I was turned onto another method from one of the tow truck guys here. Surety Bond. I called the DMV and they explained it all to me. About a week later and a few bills less in my pocket and I have a title on my m1028. I was even able to take it out when I went hunting on Sunday. So here is a methos that works when the rig's title is all messed up. :-D

Glad to hear it all worked out! I had to bond one of my parts cars for a similar reason; the title had passed through too many hands without the transfers going through the MVD.

Stihl029

Yeah I worked out with one of the local used car dealers on island that I knew would be honest with me. I love the rig right now it is a blast to drive. I guess I should post some pics soon.

ida34

Good for you for doing it right. Glad you got it taken care of. If I had seen this thread before I would have put in my piece about the bonded title.

CUCV85

1. Talk to your nearest DMV "SUPERVISOR" - Nearest DMV to your legal residence
2. Use your Active Duty Status to your advantage - TALK TO JAG