• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Title issues in Ohio

DFD2010-A

Hello all..did a little searching but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Going to start a bobbed deuce project here soon and I have heard from a few people that there are serious problems trying to get a bobbed deuce titles as a road worthy vehicle? I don't know a whole lot about the inspection process...does anyone have some insight on what all is required and any speed bumps I might hit? Thanks

DFD2010-A

Alright, any advice as far as getting it titled goes? The guy that I am thinking about purchasing it from says that I'm going to owe him 300+ dollars for title fees does that seem a little high to anyone? Does anyone have specialty insurance or do they just run it through their standard automotive insurance? Thanks

Flyingvan911

As a matter of principle, I think he should eat the cost of titling it. It's his truck and the law says he has to title it in his name (usually) before he can sell it.

DFD2010-A

I agree with you, his argument is that it's an "option" to have it titled and road worthy..most folks choose to use them as off-road farm trucks he says. Basically just doesn't want to have to eat the cost.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i don't know about ohio but in michigan with a SF-97 and a bill of sale i was out of S.O.S. office in less than 15 minutes with title and temp tag for under $ 50 bucks
does he have the SF-97 or did he wait to long GL has a 1 year time limit from purchess so he might have to go to a title service witch is his problem don't make it yours either go through GL or gsa or find one with the proper paper work theres usually somrthing in all price ranges in the classifieds here and generally some straight up guys selling them good luck in your search

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Hello all..did a little searching but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Going to start a bobbed deuce project here soon and I have heard from a few people that there are serious problems trying to get a bobbed deuce titles as a road worthy vehicle? I don't know a whole lot about the inspection process...does anyone have some insight on what all is required and any speed bumps I might hit? Thanks
The fees are what it's going to cost him to get the SF-97 and then have the vehicle titled in his name since the SF-97 can't be reassigned.

In Maryland he would be considered a "curbstone dealer" (someone buying and selling vehicles without a license).

Check out another seller or register with Government Liquidation and bid on and purchase one from them.

DFD2010-A

Ok that makes more sense...so is $300 even in the area of what you would expect to pay to obtain the SF-97 or is he just out to gouge some more cash from me? If I'm understanding this correctly, that document is just a way for the military to give you something that will allow you to title/register a vehicle that was never before registered (due to its military background)? Again, I completely agree that is his responsibility it wasn't my choice to buy it from GL.

Nonotagain

Ok that makes more sense...so is $300 even in the area of what you would expect to pay to obtain the SF-97 or is he just out to gouge some more cash from me? If I'm understanding this correctly, that document is just a way for the military to give you something that will allow you to title/register a vehicle that was never before registered (due to its military background)? Again, I completely agree that is his responsibility it wasn't my choice to buy it from GL.

The SF-97 costs $60 from Government Liquidation and anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months to obtain.

Not sure what Ohio's sales taxes and titling fees are, but if he paid $2K for the truck and the taxes are 8%, he's going to owe $160 in taxes plus titling fees. He may also be charged a late fee for not titling within a preset time period given by the state.

DFD2010-A

Thanks! Last question I promise....anyone know about problems passing an inspection as far as the cutting of the frame for bobbing purposes goes? Some family members of mine seem to feel it all needs to be done by a certified welder in order to pass an inspection? Anyone run in to this?

jime

I met Kipman at the show at Cardinal Center in July. He knows his stuff and is the kind of guy you want to by a Deuce from.

As for inspection and titling, I had no problem. The inspection was nothing more than making sure the vehicle was the same one as represented in the paperwork. The BMV ladies thought it was the coolest thing they'd ever seen!

Good luck!

Jim

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had no problems but then again they gave me Florida title.

I just drove my Deuce over to Wild Hogs on Farmersville-West Carrollton Road last Friday for the first time. I parked out in the lo so I would not hit any of the motorcycles.

;-)

Good to see another potential Deuce owner close by.

sw

JasonS

Thanks! Last question I promise....anyone know about problems passing an inspection as far as the cutting of the frame for bobbing purposes goes? Some family members of mine seem to feel it all needs to be done by a certified welder in order to pass an inspection? Anyone run in to this?

There is no need to weld the frame; you are just shortening it. In my discussions with the state, they really don't concern themselves with modifications that reduce the number of axles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks