• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

title

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a recent purchess ? Did you buy without a tittle ? Your not providing much info on why it dosen't have a tittle or why they won't give one.

N5MCZ

Sorry but I bought it from a man whose father had given him the jeep in 1966 to go to school in....neither him or his father had a title [fathers dead] ....there were no titles in Ms. before 1958 & the M-38 is a 52...tag/tax office called it a non-titled vechicle & first time around told me that they would not & have never titled a MV...my first mystake was telling them it was a MV...so I got a title bond for a CJ3a & had 4 other forms notarized...then I was told that the serial # had to have 16 #'s so I added the engine # to make 16...then I was told to get death cert. for the father ...then I was asked how many doors it had !!...this is after 6 trips to the tax office...I just thought there might be someone here from Miss. that has done this...thanks :-D

AceHigh

Good luck. Some states are easy, some impossible. I think my state is impossible! I have a tough time getting titles with all the proper stuff, like the SF97.

Hope you can get it! :driver:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I would never use anything other than the serial (vin) number. Adding the engine number (imho) really muddled the works. I would be talking to somebody's boss and if they were stupid, I'd be talking to their boss.

Danl

Danl M915A1

I'm not sure. I've been reading alot about tital, what is the deal after 12 years you don't need a titla to sell and buy why dose somany of us guys want a tital? Can somebody shed Light on this for me. what is the big deal ?

N5MCZ

you have to have a 16 diget VIN to evan get to sq. one & you have to have a salvage title to get a assemble title inspection !...I did get the tag without a title but would like to have the title if I decide to sell & also I have talked to the head of the untitle/antique division MVD in Jackson & he has no clue ....told me that I didn't need a title ! ....thanks

B3.3T

you have to have a 16 diget VIN to evan get to sq. one & you have to have a salvage title to get a assemble title inspection !...I did get the tag without a title but would like to have the title if I decide to sell & also I have talked to the head of the untitle/antique division MVD in Jackson & he has no clue ....told me that I didn't need a title ! ....thanks
Then what are you worried about? If you sell in state the same rules apply. Out of state, they will just need a bill of sale.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

So whats the big deal ? some states won't issue a title for vehicles built before a certain year . They gave you a registration so you can drive it . If you sell it sell it with a Bill Of Sale and and a copy of the registration and there will be no issues for the new owner to title in their state if the state titles all vehicles .

N5MCZ

might not be a big deal with you but in this state to get ins. you got to have a title & State Troopers want the title & proof on ins. at a roadblock....bill of sale is useless here...too many are just fabracated...thanks anyway ...:-D

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
might not be a big deal with you but in this state to get ins. you got to have a title & State Troopers want the title & proof on ins. at a roadblock....bill of sale is useless here...too many are just fabracated...thanks anyway ...:-D
From the MS DMV page:

A title is a document proving legal ownership of a vehicle. If ownership of the vehicle changes, the title must be transferred to the name of the new owner. Mississippi law states that vehicles 10 years or older do not need to be titled, but if the vehicle is less than 10 years old, a transfer is necessary.

MS is similar to GA. In GA titles aren't issued if the vehicle is 85 or older. If you have tags you have the registration. You need insurance and registration if stopped-not the title. In GA I registered my M48 and M59 with a bill of sale and an out of state inspection form. When I transferred to WY I took my registration and plates (along with another out of state VIN inspection form) to the DMV and walked out with two titles (WY titles all years). I have also sold other vehicles registered in GA to people in other states and they issued titles with no issues. States that issue titles for all years will issue a title with your MS registration and a bill of sale when you do sell in the future. In the mean time carry reg and ins and you are golden![thumbzup]

N5MCZ

thanks for the info but the MHP require a TITLE not reg. & proof of insurance....I drive for a living & go through their roadblocks weekly & my insurance carrier will not insure a nontitled vehecle...after putting 10 grand in a M38 worth 5 grand I wanted to drive it but can't take a chance without ins. I've got too much at stake....take care ...Kent...:cry:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for the info but the MHP require a TITLE not reg. & proof of insurance....I drive for a living & go through their roadblocks weekly & my insurance carrier will not insure a nontitled vehecle...after putting 10 grand in a M38 worth 5 grand I wanted to drive it but can't take a chance without ins. I've got too much at stake....take care ...Kent...:cry:
Shouldn't you have looked into this before spending 10 grand. I have never seen a state that required you to carry a Title with you ( it would make it to easy to steal ) . Or a state that required insurance sell you plates without providing a proof of insurance . Have you tried Gulfway insurance ?
Not all insurance companies are the same .

Most people keep there title in either a safe or a safe deposit box , not the glove box.

Csm Davis

From the MS DMV page:

A title is a document proving legal ownership of a vehicle. If ownership of the vehicle changes, the title must be transferred to the name of the new owner. Mississippi law states that vehicles 10 years or older do not need to be titled, but if the vehicle is less than 10 years old, a transfer is necessary.

MS is similar to GA. In GA titles aren't issued if the vehicle is 85 or older. If you have tags you have the registration. You need insurance and registration if stopped-not the title. In GA I registered my M48 and M59 with a bill of sale and an out of state inspection form. When I transferred to WY I took my registration and plates (along with another out of state VIN inspection form) to the DMV and walked out with two titles (WY titles all years). I have also sold other vehicles registered in GA to people in other states and they issued titles with no issues. States that issue titles for all years will issue a title with your MS registration and a bill of sale when you do sell in the future. In the mean time carry reg and ins and you are golden![thumbzup]
Okay not sure where this came from but not even close. There are lots of crap that's even floating around in the states own system that is just wrong. In Mississippi a vehicle made prior to 1968 doesn't require a title but you can get one without bending the law and it doesn't require a 16 digit vin number. Yes we are required to keep a Copy of the title in the vehicle and proof of insurance but you can get a tag without insurance.

Csm Davis

Sorry but I bought it from a man whose father had given him the jeep in 1966 to go to school in....neither him or his father had a title [fathers dead] ....there were no titles in Ms. before 1958 & the M-38 is a 52...tag/tax office called it a non-titled vechicle & first time around told me that they would not & have never titled a MV...my first mystake was telling them it was a MV...so I got a title bond for a CJ3a & had 4 other forms notarized...then I was told that the serial # had to have 16 #'s so I added the engine # to make 16...then I was told to get death cert. for the father ...then I was asked how many doors it had !!...this is after 6 trips to the tax office...I just thought there might be someone here from Miss. that has done this...thanks :-D
Ok man in Jackson is right you don't have to have a title on this vehicle by state law, also the sweet lady at the tax office doesn't have a clue generally I have dug through all the laws that cover our hobby in Mississippi and can help give me a call if you didn't get this fixed.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay not sure where this came from but not even close. There are lots of crap that's even floating around in the states own system that is just wrong. In Mississippi a vehicle made prior to 1968 doesn't require a title but you can get one without bending the law and it doesn't require a 16 digit vin number. Yes we are required to keep a Copy of the title in the vehicle and proof of insurance but you can get a tag without insurance.
It came from the MS DMV web site from a year and a half ago. It has since changed to:
A title is a document proving legal ownership of a vehicle. If ownership of the vehicle changes, the title must be transferred to the name of the new owner. Mississippi law states that all vehicles must be titled. A transfer is necessary in the following cases:

• Purchase of a new or used car
  • Payoff of a car loan
  • Transfer from immediate family member
  • Gift or donation of a vehicle
  • Inheritance of a car
  • Name changes