• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titleing a m105

Jinx

You bought it right from the government, correct? The easiest way is to apply for the SF-97 on the GL website. It costs $60, but then you don't even have to worry about Washington State Patrol inspections. Just take the Form 97 and other paperwork they give you to the DOL and they will license it on the spot.

KaiserM109

I titled an M101 as Homebuilt and it was easy, no $60 SF-97. Then, when SF-97s were free because GL was backed up, I decided to do it the “right way” with 3 M105s and 1 MKT-85. WHAT A HEADACHE! The biggest problem is that the Army does not assign a unique serial number to each trailer, like civilians do; it only assigns lot numbers. The real trouble started when I tried to explain that to them.

Many times there can be several trailers in the same motorpool with the same lot number, so you can’t use it. I tried and somebody in the state had already registered a trailer with the same lot number as one of the M105s. Since I had had a State trooper verify the numbers the lady put an ‘A’ at the end of the serial number and told me to change the plate on the trailer to match. One of these days I’ll get around to doing that.

Arlyn

PS I just looked at your photo. I hope that you don't intend to haul that M105 loaded behind a small pickup. Loaded it can weigh in at 6,000 lb and that needs brakes and a sizeable vehicle in front of it.

Last edited:

frodobaggins

Besides the obvious Model/make/year one i can get but what do you put for mileage/GVwR/Body Style/ and color? and also they weight is 2700 correct? thanks for anyinfo.
Year=Obvious
Make = Manufacturer
Model = M105etc
VIN = Serial Number
Body style: Trailer, Cargo
Color = Green
Weight = 2750
GVWR = 5750
Mileage = 0
Fuel = Other
Cylinders = 0

srodocker

no i dont plan on hauling it with me ranger heheh. thanks for all the help guys!!! think i'll pay the 60$ as i dont want to have to deal with homebuilt stuff

hole

Here in Cal. I had no problem. Took my SF97 and trailer to DMV, they verified that the #'s matched the SF97, paid $20 and left happy. Well , as happy as one can be after standing in line for 2 hours...

v8turbo

Title and Reg in California...... 30 minutes and $38 bucks. Took my GL Invoice, got it inspected at teh DMV, wrote a statement of fact on where i got it... done.

Brentzilla

The 105 I bought from GL didnt have any data plates, but since the bed is going on my bobbed deuce, I guess Ill get a data plate made and put it under a home built later if I put a different bed on the trailer.

AMMO 23

Just Reg my M101 here in Idaho gave them $36 they gave me a plate good for ten years. Idaho will not title a trailer under 2,000 lbs. So I just have a registration and plate. The lady said hold on to the invoice use that as documentation if I ever sell the trailer.

Billy Bobbed

Im doing a Indiana home built title on my M105 trailer right now.Take all the tags off the trailer.Take it to the police station or they come to your house.Give them $5,they fill out a paper that says there is no #s on it.Take that paper and bill of sale to the BMV.Give them $16.50 they send the paper work to Indianapolis to get me a #.They send me a # in the mail.Stamp it on a plate,put it on the trailer take it back to the police station or house.He looks to see that the # is on the trailer.Fills out another paper,dont know if they are going to charge me $5 again.Take it to the BMV again to get a title and $35 for 3,000lbs plates a year,done.I hope.

jarrettrocksvt

Year=Obvious
Make = Manufacturer
Model = M105etc
VIN = Serial Number
Body style: Trailer, Cargo
Color = Green
Weight = 2750
GVWR = 5750
Mileage = 0
Fuel = Other
Cylinders = 0
I just bought a M105A2 before I did any research and have to sell it because it is too large. I just got it home from a GL site and I want to title it before I sell it. I dropped by the DMV and they assured me i needed the SF97 in virginia to register.
I am a little confused because I'm supposed to input in the SF97 box a VIN number. Does this refer to the number the W81DME12970004A? I see that number on my invoice and a packing list that was attached to the trailer. hand etched on my plate is PC004A in the VIN spot but I'm sure that wouldn't go far at the DMV.

jarrettrocksvt

So in the state of VA (atleast at the Portsmouth DMV) they will not register the trailer with a homemade title nor took my Government Invoice. There are several reasons why in my district I was given a hard time, but that is neither here nor there. I paid the 60 dollars for the SF97 and about 6 weeks later received the SF97 documents (it is an official Arizona Title for the trailer with the VIN number I supplied with the request). Once I had the Arizona title (SF97), the DMV let me pay the 35$ tax (10% of the selling price is tax... ridiculous) and 10 dollar registration fee and i was out hte door in about 30 minutes.
I waited to sell the trailer until I had the title as I didn't want someone to have the bigger headache. I have since sold the trailer to a guy here in town.

sxemike

In Va, the homemade thing is pretty easy. You go to DMV, fill out a form and they give a vin plate. You then rivet the plate on the trailer and get a police office to look at it and sign your form. Take that back to DMV and get a home made title.

here's the form

you get to pick the empty and gross weights.
If you know a friendly cop, it's really easy. If you don't, it's still kind of easy.

jarrettrocksvt

Thanks for posting the link. Its good to hear that someone was able to do it. I would definitely have saved the 60 bucks if i had the opportunity to. Maybe I should have swung by a rural DMV. The Ptown DMV was no help at all...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maine

Harley has it right . Louisiana wants a title, inspection, standard vin, hassle etc.

Maine, all documents emailed with a credit card and plate with registration arrives a week later. Took 5 minutes, way too easy. way too simple to deal with entrenched state bureaucrats.

Never, ever again will I hassle with Louisiana on any trailer.

Look at most major van fleets, intermodals, and large firms on the road. They all use Maine for a reason,[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks