• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titles for trucks older than 25 years (most of us)

m139h2otruck

We have owned our H2O truck since October 2005, and finally got it ready to run and road worthy last fall. When I tried to register it (no title, only a hand written bill of sale), I could only get a weight rating of 18,000 pounds, as it had never had a title, and since it has three axles the State would not let us go any higher on the GVW (some odd quirk in the law). Faced with the choices, I just registered it at the 18,000 limit and hoped no one would stop us (empty weight is maybe 22-24,000#).

A friend in the junk car business thought that there had to be some means to title an older vehicle, and found for us an RSA (State law) that allows for the application for an antique title for vehicles/cars/trucks that never had a title to be newly titled by the State of NH. Filled out a one page form, submitted it to our Town Clerk, processed the title application at the State DMV, and in 2 weeks, will have a title!! This method will work for any car/truck/trailer/motorcycle/etc over 25 years of age.

I have no idea of how this works in other states, but it will work here in NH, as proved today.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Have you tried to show them the VIN plate with all the GVW stuff on it? Take a clear pic, or have an inspector schedule a visit.

m139h2otruck

It would have made no difference, as the State would not let me register the truck for anything over 18000# without a title due to the "three axle rule", and since the truck never had a title I was sunk. In NH we can set the GVW at anything we want (somewhat within reason) so I don't have to buy plates for the actual fully rated GVW. Since the truck will not have water in it while between jobsites, the 25000# rating I used will cover us for transport duty. Full of water, truck exceeds the plate rating anyway (57-58,000# guess)

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Perhaps you should have registered it in another state first then. Any chance of getting a SF-97 from GL. If that is where you got it anyways. They say they will only go back so far, but I hear of people getting help with older purchases on occasion.

m139h2otruck

Truck was a private sale out of West Berlin, Mass. and was a surplus fire department truck that was sold as is to the owner previous to us. The process I described above was almost too easy, and required only the one page form, a stop at the Town clerk's office and a stop at the DMV. Any trucks now coming out of GL with a bill of sale and an age of over 25 years should be able to be titled this way in NH.

m139h2otruck

The biggest problem was the 18000# rating. For the M35's and smaller trucks, if you don't need a title for any reason, here (NH) you just use a bill of sale, a VIN check form (very simple) and you can get your plates. Since most all 5 tons weigh over 18000# (not sure on the tractors) we were stuck without a title. Now just have to get the M812A1 and the new Mack powered tractor "legal".

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do you have a form number or any other info? This sounds like a good way to get a titlle for my wrecker, but I'm in Ohio. I would like to sound semi-informed when I start asking questions. :)

OSO

I used the SF-97 form but it was signed by a fellow from USG and a fellow from GL and my name was nowhere to be found on the SF-97. Got a bill of sale from the first guy who bought the truck . On the SF-97 said purchase price was $89.63 for the truck, lucky the truck was a 1953 not too many eyebrows raised. Took about 3 times to get everything before I got my title . Had to get a ceritified scale weight,26,600# my truck weighed in at empty. I cheated and got a one time plate a collector plate, for the truck. :D

m139h2otruck

In NH, the form I used was called an "Affidavit of Ownership for Antique Vehicles"
which you fill out with the vehicle's info, your name/address and the previous owner's name/address and date of purchase. Notarize and take to Town clerk's office for a title application. Not sure what other states have in place for antiques.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks