• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling an '85 Humvee in Kansas from the 1999 Sale

JoeBob1901

I have the original SF97 and a bill of sale from the last owner of my M998 transferring the ownership to me, and insurance on the vehicle. However, the local Kansas DMV won't issue me a title because I don't have anything showing ownership between all of the proof of sales between myself and the original SF97 holder. They said the second owner "should" have gotten a title for it but didn't. So, after trying to workaround all that it doesn't appear they're wanting to budge. Does anyone have any idea for the SF97 transfer to get tags for a HMMWV from the '99 sale?

If it matters, its for commercial use (gun dealer/lawn ornament/parades/etc)

I looked into having someone bond the title to me but several said they wouldn't due to the commercial use, and another wanted $800.

Anyone have any good suggestions for me? I don't mind paying for the service if it doesn't take a terribly long time to do it and the fee is fair.

JoeBob1901

Got it. This is my first military item with an SF97. It was sold to me as a ready-to-be-titled HMMWV w/ original SF97, but obviously that's not 100% true. What's my best option now, outside of finding the original SF97 signer?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it. This is my first military item with an SF97. It was sold to me as a ready-to-be-titled HMMWV w/ original SF97, but obviously that's not 100% true. What's my best option now, outside of finding the original SF97 signer?
Get your money back from the person who sold it to you. Misrepresentation on their part, since the SF-97 is not in their name and thus there is no title. SF-97 is a government form to OBTAIN a title on former government vehicles, not a title in and of itself.

JoeBob1901

I agree the best thing is to get your money back. If that is not possible check on registering as antique. Good luck
In KS I believe antique vehicles have to be 35yrs old. This truck is only 30yrs old.

The seller is from Texas and it may be hard to "get my money back". At this point, I'm already pretty deep into it and I'd rather just deal with it personally than try to contact the seller about it.

If going the bonded title route, any recommendations?

tage

I hate flippers.^^ Bonded is a pita, and takes years to get a clean title. If you find the original owner you can get a title in the matter of a day.

That's under the assumption the guy is still alive though.

datadawg

You could get a title under the lien sale statute. Typically states have it to allow title to be issued for vehicles left on someone's property when the property owner wants to enforce their storage lien. I run a finance company and we have had our lien on titles actually wiped out via lien sales! It's a legal way to get title, the only downside is that it's onerous in time and process.

UNIMOG-GUY

Usually states have a process that allows a property owner to get a title to a vehicle left on their property. VA is after 48 hours. In VA it is the abandoned vehicle process. Kansas appears to have a similar process for local public agencies as found here: http://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/tr105.pdf I would look for a process similar to this but for property owners. I would look at the KS DMV site. If I had more time I'd do it myself. Hope this helps.

saddamsnightmare

July 29th, 2015.

If the seller is in Texas, and you are not, getting your money back becomes a Federal Fraud case, I am pretty certain that the Texans will be more then happy to lock the man up if he doesn't make good on the return of your money. Next time, though, "Caveat Emptor" (Latin for "buyer Beware")!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks