• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling in Texas

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s correct only hmmwv weighting 9,999lbs or less can be registered for street use
This is not true, go and read the law again, only HMMWVs with an OFF ROAD USE ONLY SF97 that weigh under 10K can be registered.
ANY HMMWV with a "clear" SF97 can be registered.
Re-read the bulletin in post #2

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you show me how you came to that?
Go read the bulletin, it is referring to military vehicles with "OFF ROAD ONLY" SF97s (proof of ownership)
Any former military vehicle with a clear SF97 can be titled and registered.

Can you show me where I am wrong?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SF97 I got with my 1993 M998 had a stamp in large letters at a 45 degree angle across it that said "off road use" that vehicle qualified for the exemption as it had a GVWR of 7700lb. and I drive it daily including today.
But any vehicle with a clear SF97 (or other legal proof of ownership) can be titled and registered, I have done it with M442A1s, M151A1s, 404 Unimogs and M38A1s and a FAV

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get the restricted "military" license plates for ANY former military vehicle regardless of the status of the SF97 or other proof of ownership.
As I understand it a guy in Dallas has them on a Vietnam era MULE (not talking about the ones made by Kawasaki)
If you have ever seen one nothing about them are street legal, with those plates you do not have to comply with any laws about lights etc.

Of course soon almost nobody in Texas will have to get a state inspection except the pollution tests done in some counties on gasoline vehicles.
(Jan 1 2025)

I am against repealing the state inspection laws.

God Bless Texas!

Last edited:

sergioelpistolero

Go read the bulletin, it is referring to military vehicles with "OFF ROAD ONLY" SF97s (proof of ownership)
Any former military vehicle with a clear SF97 can be titled and registered.

Can you show me where I am wrong?
I’m honestly asking to learn bc I have a clear SF97 and a gross wt of 10k and the TX DMV is stuck on not issuing me a registration

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m honestly asking to learn bc I have a clear SF97 and a gross wt of 10k and the TX DMV is stuck on not issuing me a registration
And what excuse are they using? because it is 10K? if so print out the docs in post #2 and ask them to read it and explain it only applies to vehicles with an off road use designation. if your SF97 does not say "off road use" you should be good...
I just bought a 94 with a GVWR of 10K and it is supposed to have a clear SF97, I do not anticipate any problems, I know there are many others with GVWRs well over 10K registered in Texas.

Ask them to show you the documentation they are using to deny your application for registration and post it here.
But if they are using "Registration and Title Bulletin # 005-19 Policy and Procedure" (OR Texas Transportation Code 502.141) this does not apply to you.

DISCLAIMER, I am not an attorney I only act like one from time to time :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

sergioelpistolero

And what excuse are they using? because it is 10K? if so print out the docs in post #2 and ask them to read it and explain it only applies to vehicles with an off road use designation. if your SF97 does not say "off road use" you should be good...
I just bought a 94 with a GVWR of 10K and it is supposed to have a clear SF97, I do not anticipate any problems, I know there are many others with GVWRs well over 10K registered in Texas.

Ask them to show you the documentation they are using to deny your application for registration and post it here.
But if they are using "Registration and Title Bulletin # 005-19 Policy and Procedure" (OR Texas Transportation Code 502.141) this does not apply to you.

DISCLAIMER, I am not an attorney I only act like one from time to time :ROFLMAO:
Currently standing at the DMV counter and they are saying that bulletin 5-17 is nulled and void for 5-19. I’m trying to explain that’s apples and oranges

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell them it does not Null 005-17 it provides an EXEMPTION for HMMWV vehicles that had an off road designation.
Simple enough to read.

Background Previously released RTB #005-17 introduced the option for former military vehicles not identified for off-highway use to obtain registration. These vehicles were no longer limited to Antique vehicle registration. This policy did not extend to former military vehicles with ownership evidence that indicated off-highway use. These vehicles remained eligible only for Antique vehicle registration. Vehicles with Antique vehicle registration are restricted to use for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest.

Nowhere does it say 005-19 supersedes 005-17, it only add an exemption for HMMWVs with an OFF ROAD designation under 10K
If what they say is true ONLY HMMWVs with off road designations and under 10K could be registered, ALL other MVs would not be eligable.

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had trouble at cedar park office because they didn’t like the stamp from usmc on the sf-97 and wanted a wet signature. They also Tried to tell me govplanet didn’t have a license to sell vehicles in florida which is where the transfer was from. I took my paper work and went to a different office and had no issues.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those who may be interested here is Registration and Title Bulletin # 005-17 which makes all former military vehicles that have a SF97 that is NOT stamped off road use eligible for "regular" registration.
005-19 gives a specific exemption to the HMMWV that has a stamped SF97 (off road use) and a GVW of under 10K the right to get regular registration.
Nowhere in 005-19 does it say that it supersedes 005-17.
EDIT, this excludes any tracked vehicle.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually the 005-17 document has some very powerful wording indicating that a former MV is not required to conform to federal vehicle safety standards or have a 17 digit serial number.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little more about titling in Texas, if say all you have is a bill of sale, you can apply for a bonded title, if accepted you get a bonded title and after three years if nobody contests your claim of ownership you automatically get a regular title.
If after all that the state rejects your application for a bonded title, you can request a hearing with your county tax assessor/collector.

When Texas started requiring vehicle owners to have a title (many moons ago) they gave the tax assessor/collector the power to issue title to ANY vehicle, powerful stuff!!
I have been this route before the state decided to allow bonded titles, after months of jumping through many hoops trying to please the local tax office to accept my title application a supervisor said I could simply demand that the tax office submit my paperwork and if the state rejected it I could ask for an appointment with the tax man, they did and I did.
I ended up at the Office of the Harris County tax assessor/collector. (most populous county in the state)
We had a nice visit, about 10-15 minutes talking about the company I worked for because it was founded by George R Brown and then he asked his assistant that had been sitting there the entire time about my title issue and she handed him my auction receipt for the Unimog and another piece of paperwork (by then the folder I had was about 3/4-1" thick) he signed the paper and that was that, it actually took less than a minute to do the "business"
Now all you have to do is apply for a bonded title but the tax man is still the final word.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went down yesterday and filed a SF-97 to get a title, they charged me the customary 6.25% tax on the $2000 purchase price.
GP had already charged me the 6.25% on the entire cost including the auction fee and some other taxes that motor vehicles are not supposed to be charged as in county and city taxes, they are clearly just a bunch of crooks as the tax office told me I should not have paid taxes on a motor vehicle unless GP was going to do the Texas title work and not on the auction fees at all.
I expressed my displeasure of having to pay taxes twice and they said they would take my appeal to the Comptroller.
Today I get a call and they said they had canceled the title paper work and refunded my payment for $187 and that I had to come back and pay the $38 that I now owed for the title work and they re-filed the title application,, not sure why they could not have simply refunded the difference but I guess a win is a win!!

They do allot of shady stuff like charge diesel tax on tires, that ain't right!

Being a Texas auto dealer they by law must turn in title paperwork directly to the state within 30 days on a motor vehicle sale.

I think I will hit my sister (big shot law firm partner) up about this while we have lunch in SA tomorrow:)

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went down yesterday and filed a SF-97 to get a title, they charged me the customary 6.25% tax on the $2000 purchase price.
GP had already charged me the 6.25% on the entire cost including the auction fee and some other taxes that motor vehicles are not supposed to be charged as in county and city taxes, they are clearly just a bunch of crooks as the tax office told me I should not have paid taxes on a motor vehicle unless GP was going to do the Texas title work and not on the auction fees at all.
I expressed my displeasure of having to pay taxes twice and they said they would take my appeal to the Comptroller.
Today I get a call and they said they had canceled the title paper work and refunded my payment for $187 and that I had to come back and pay the $38 that I now owed for the title work and they re-filed the title application,, not sure why they could not have simply refunded the difference but I guess a win is a win!!

They do allot of shady stuff like charge diesel tax on tires, that ain't right!

Being a Texas auto dealer they by law must turn in title paperwork directly to the state within 30 days on a motor vehicle sale.

I think I will hit my sister (big shot law firm partner) up about this while we have lunch in SA tomorrow:)
GP will refund your taxes if you show them the receipt for taxes paid in your state. I was upset about the same thing and after a couple emails back and forth GP sent me a check for the Georgia taxes they charged me.

Email salestax@ironplanet.com

ssm3e30

I know this is a dead thread but I thought I would toss a question in here in case anyone else has run into this.

I purchased an M1097 with a clean SF97, no OFF ROAD USE ONLY stamp, but that's not my issue. My issue is the use of a Florida Reassignment supplement when the sellers' address is in California and mine is in TX. My Tax office won't take it. They say it looks like fraud.

I am having the exact same issue, I dont need registration just the title. Can anyone recommend a DMV in the Dallas area who know the process and wont have an issue with this?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am having the exact same issue, I dont need registration just the title. Can anyone recommend a DMV in the Dallas area who know the process and wont have an issue with this?
You should not have any problem in TX, the other poster was in FL, are you having issues with a DMV office? getting title only also is no problem, you do not need ins. to get a title only.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also welcome to the SS forums.
If you bought this from GP then when you go take the SF97 (and all the paperwork that came with the SF-97), your sales invoice from GP, a picture of the truck and a clear picture of the data plate, I usually pic them from the auction pictures.
Remind them that you paid TX sales tax at the time of purchase and you should not have to pay tax or late penalty, I found out the last time I went that you do not have to have the title transferred within 30 days of sale as stated (which will never happen with GP) you only have to pay taxes within 30 days.
The last title I applied for only cost me about $28.

If you bought it from an individual then take the blue title you got from him and it transfers like any other vehicle, you however cannot get a title with a SF97 that was issued to someone else, that individual must get TX title.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks