• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling/registering M923 in Indiana. Like to hear from the Hoosiers who have done it.

RodUSMC1962

I am pretty sure if you want to go with the no plate, only hood numbers you need to have a police inspection I had to, maybe something has changed, I also had an Indiana title. DMV has the form. :driver:

brasco

I am pretty sure if you want to go with the no plate, only hood numbers you need to have a police inspection I had to, maybe something has changed, I also had an Indiana title. DMV has the form. :driver:
According to the BMV in Greensburg, Indiana no longer requires condition inspections for historic vehicles and they did not require this inspection for any of my 5 tons. The only "inspections" I had was from the local law enforcement and that was only to check the VIN on the out of state title. If your already have an Indiana title there should not be inspection issues.

What IS required is to take pictures of the bumper numbers. They will send to the State office and this office will issue a permanent registration using the bumper numbers. The local office will issue a annual antique registration and plate that does not have to be displayed (just keep it in the cab).

You may run into BMV employees that know nothing about Indiana's former military vehicle registration laws and insist that it is a commercial vehicle. I had the teach the manager in Greensburg. I believe they are now working in Franklin so it may be worth calling that location if it is closer. Others BMV locations may be able to do this but it works much more smoothly if your work with someone who is familiar with the process. Some people in Greensburg still know the process too- it may be worth calling ahead to make sure the people working that day know how to do it as not every employee does.

Last edited:

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the BMV in Greensburg, Indiana no longer requires condition inspections for historic vehicles and they did not require this inspection for any of my 5 tons. The only "inspections" I had was from the local law enforcement and that was only to check the VIN on the out of state title. If your already have an Indiana title there should not be inspection issues.

What IS required is to take pictures of the bumper numbers. They will send to the State office and this office will issue a permanent registration using the bumper numbers. The local office will issue a annual antique registration and plate that does not have to be displayed (just keep it in the cab).

You may run into BMV employees that know nothing about Indiana's former military vehicle registration laws and insist that it is a commercial vehicle. I had the teach the manager in Greensburg. I believe they are now working in Franklin so it may be worth calling that location if it is closer. Others BMV locations may be able to do this but it works much more smoothly if your work with someone who is familiar with the process. Some people in Greensburg still know the process too- it may be worth calling ahead to make sure the people working that day know how to do it as not every employee does.
:ditto:
Exactly like Don said! I had to school the Greenfield branch also.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am slowly getting Lawrenceburg up to speed on military vehicles as well so I can do everything locally. So far so good on that front.

Jayrassic

Well with the m813 on the road thanks to you guys, have any of you registered an hmmwv in Indiana? Thinking the m813 needs a playmate.

tobyS

I got titles to all of my trucks in Indiana. All they really care about is getting tax money. If you went through GSA, they do not charge state sales tax but the contractor sales, GL or GP, depending upon the state, some do charge state sales tax (their state). In that case, Indiana does give you credit for the sales tax paid.

I don't know why anyone would risk not having a plate, even if it's stuck on with a magnet to take off for shows. The ISP for the most part, don't know about the alternatives for historic vehicles to go without them. Put the plate on and you will probably never have an issue...or don't and fight to educate them.

You don't need (vin or condition) inspection if you have an SF-97 that is made out to you. As said above, Indiana does not recognize an assignment of the SF-97 because they want the original owner to pay 7% sales tax and then the person buying to also pay the 7%...it's that simple....about the $$$$.

Last edited:

Jayrassic

I am looking to buy one that already has a title in Wisconsin so the usual affidavit of police officer and then just registering for the road. What BMV do you use? From your list of vehicles they should know you lol.

tobyS

If you mean me, I do it at the Rochester branch. Add about 10 trailers to my list for MV titles, a few of which were "assembled"....which requires 2 police checks, one to issue the number and one to show it's properly attached. The "assembled" are the only ones I needed photo's for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks