• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling/registering M931A2 in Alabama

KWDriver

Ok, I have tried searching for the answers and haven't come up with much so I apologize if this has been covered or beaten into the ground. I have found a few threads about trials and tribulations or lack thereof from other states, but not much that applies to or will help me here in Alabama. I'm going to bob it and put an M1101 trailer bed for the truck box and make it a big pickup, but as it sits, it's a tractor. I am awaiting the SF97 for my 5 ton and was hoping to hear the best and easiest way to get it titled and or registered in Alabama. What problems may have popped up and how they were dealt with especially. Also if it is for personal use and non-commercial, do I need a CDL
Thanks for the help

brasco

....beware of incoming flak due to the topic....

You should check Alabama code yourself but I found this on the interweb for Alabama...also, never trust your BMV to know the law and do your own research

Section 32-6-49.7

Commercial driver license required; exceptions.

(a) Except when driving with a commercial driver license learner's permit and accompanied by the holder of a commercial driver license valid for the vehicle being driven, no person may drive a commercial motor vehicle on the highways of this state unless the person holds, and is in immediate possession of, a commercial driver license with applicable endorsements valid for the vehicle he or she is driving.
Active duty military or National Guard personnel operating government vehicles, farmers operating certain commercial motor vehicles, firefighters and operators of emergency equipment exempt from licensing provisions of the CMVSA are exempt from this article as detailed in FHWA's "Notice of Final Disposition" published in the Federal Register, September 26, 1988, 53 FR 37313, and as hereafter updated.

Commercial driver license requirements do not apply to drivers of vehicles used for personal use such as recreational vehicles which would otherwise meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.

(b) No person may drive a commercial motor vehicle on the highways of this state while his or her driving privilege is suspended, revoked, or cancelled, while subject to a disqualification, or in violation of an out of service order.
(Acts 1989, No. 89-878, p. 1759, §7; Act 2004-521, p. 1060, §1.)

KWDriver

Thanks for CDL Info

Brasco,
Appreciate the info. I will be using for personal use. I'm currently active duty Army and will pick up the truck and wear my uniform so I look like a National Guard guy and probably won't get messed with. I'll keep it 55..maybe put a little rotating yellow light..hide in plain site. But still open question on the registration.
Thanks again
KWDriver