• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling / Registration of Trailer In Colorado

Brent13

How have you all gone about reigistering and getting plates for your trailers? I am tempted to just go down to the DMV and tell them I have a "home-built" trailer and try and get plates that way. Is this going to work? A couple of friends of mine have built trailers and claim getting tags is a breeze.

Thanks,
Brent

86M10086.2L

The biggest problem is checking th history of the VIN or serial number. A buddy of mine is slowly trying to figure out how to not register his trailer as a home built, because the serial number is the same as some civilian trailer upstate that was stolen. It should be no problem as they are indeed different trailers, but with the DMV you never know. Or if you feel like spending money, there are a few place around the country that can title the trailer for you. Basically what theydo is they are used car dealers, they buy the trailer from you, title it for themselves and "sell" it back to you with all the paperwork from that state in your name, then you register it in your state. Perfectly Legal mind you, costs about $150-$225 to have done. Talked to a couple guys who have done that with model A's and old pickups that they pulled off vacant lots or farm land that owners, and paperwork were long gone.

ida34

I would not say "perfectly legal". I am done beating that drum. Look up the posts on title services. The biggest problem you will have is the data plate with the actual vin on it. What kind of trailer are you working with? If you are looking at an M101 you might be able to get away with it but a large military equipment trailer would obviously not look home built and I would expect to get called on it.

Dieselsmoke

Piece of cake, did it many dozen times when I lived in CO. Simply went into the DMV office (Widefield office where Alco used to be many decades ago). Filled out a statement of facts that the trailers had been brought back to life and re-assembled from parts obtained through surplus. They gave me a foil decal with a homebuilt trailer ID and VIN to affix to the trailer. Title arrived in the mail. Very simple process and the cost was $12 plus license plate fees.
This was a good 12 years ago though, but a buddy of mine in the springs said the process is still the same.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Dieselsmokes right, tell them you want to register and title a home made trailer. It cost me I think 14 bucks for a title and plates for a M105A2- 4 months ago. Too bad we never met, but if you wanna hang out with a ..cool... guy in the Springs that owns a Duece his name is mcmullag here on SS.

Brent13

Got down to the DMV and am now legal to operate. Cost me just $31. Got the Colo plate and the mentioned foil ID, assigned ID number they call it. This is now the trailers new VIN number. The trailer data plate was mentioned above. Funny, the trailer has the data plate, but none of the information lines is filled out, not one. What does that mean? I scrubbed and scrubbed thinking the info was just covered in grease, but nothing is filled out. I assume they engrave these fields on the tag? Any way, I am putting on my plate tonight and am a happy camper. Thanks for the info.

Brent

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks