• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling was too easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duster06

Great Americans,

I walked into my local Virginia DMV today with my SF-97. My desk person called over the manager to look at the "Off Road use only" tag and she said that she couldn't issue me plates. I was nice and mentioned the "Antique" plates, where she then looked up the rules in her book and found no reason why she couldn't issue me plates. I walked out a few minutes later with a title and Antique plates.

I don't see any mention of "off road use only" on my new title. As far as I can tell it's a full up normal title. The vin number that is on it is the 6 digit number that came on my SF-97. Here's my question: I feel like the DMV made a mistake. 1) Can I legally drive this on the road now while abiding by the "occasional use" claus of the Antique plates? 2) Theoretically, could normal plates be obtained now and could I drive on the road? I don't see a need for a daily commuter, this is all theoretical in nature but based off of what I have read there must have been a mistake. The last thing that I want is an accident with a lawsuit. This all went way too smoothly. My title also has it listed as an "AM General pickup truck"

Last question. What is the actual physical difference between the road worthy and off road only m998's on govplanet? It seems like it's only paperwork.

Zed254

I think you got lucky. I had a tough time titling 3 trailers in VA: an M1102, and two LTT-H generator trailers. Right off the bat the local office rejected my SF-97s because they did not have MY name on them. I showed the manager a notarized Bill of Sale that matched the GP SF-97+ transfer document and she said 'They made a mistake: they should have titled it." I asked why their 'mistake' was affecting me when my notarized document trail clearly shows proper ownership. She referred me to the DMV home office in Richmond. I sent all my stuff there and got my titles back in a week or so. Cannot understand why the local office couldn't handle it.....

Regarding your Antique vehicle: I believe you should leave well enough alone. You can legally drive it around and if there was a mistake, it was made by Virginia. It appears that YOU did every thing nice and legal.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you got lucky. I had a tough time titling 3 trailers in VA: an M1102, and two LTT-H generator trailers. Right off the bat the local office rejected my SF-97s because they did not have MY name on them. I showed the manager a notarized Bill of Sale that matched the GP SF-97+ transfer document and she said 'They made a mistake: they should have titled it." I asked why their 'mistake' was affecting me when my notarized document trail clearly shows proper ownership. She referred me to the DMV home office in Richmond. I sent all my stuff there and got my titles back in a week or so. Cannot understand why the local office couldn't handle it.....

Regarding your Antique vehicle: I believe you should leave well enough alone. You can legally drive it around and if there was a mistake, it was made by Virginia. It appears that YOU did every thing nice and legal.

Unless Virginia starts recalling titles and registrations for ones that slipped through like several other states are doing.

tage

You signed the end use/hold harmless?

Do the math.You're openly breaking the contract you signed when you bought the truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I'd just roll with it like it is, you gave them the SF-97 and the manager accepted it. I'm sure it won't take long for some other HMMWV owner who can't get their truck tagged to complain to them and say "you allowed this one to be tagged" and they'll take yours away because it's an "error".

As you can see people are already a little jealous about it.:roll:

NormB

Great Americans,

I walked into my local Virginia DMV today with my SF-97. My desk person called over the manager to look at the "Off Road use only" tag and she said that she couldn't issue me plates. I was nice and mentioned the "Antique" plates, where she then looked up the rules in her book and found no reason why she couldn't issue me plates. I walked out a few minutes later with a title and Antique plates.

I don't see any mention of "off road use only" on my new title. As far as I can tell it's a full up normal title. The vin number that is on it is the 6 digit number that came on my SF-97. Here's my question: I feel like the DMV made a mistake. 1) Can I legally drive this on the road now while abiding by the "occasional use" claus of the Antique plates? 2) Theoretically, could normal plates be obtained now and could I drive on the road? I don't see a need for a daily commuter, this is all theoretical in nature but based off of what I have read there must have been a mistake. The last thing that I want is an accident with a lawsuit. This all went way too smoothly. My title also has it listed as an "AM General pickup truck"

Last question. What is the actual physical difference between the road worthy and off road only m998's on govplanet? It seems like it's only paperwork.

21 years’ association with the US Army (retired), VA, civil service, various other dealings with alphabet agencies has taught me - if you feel like you’re getting over, tell no one, accept it, count your blessings, STFU, basically.

Government giveth, government taketh away. Whimsically. Brutally. Often when you least expect it.

Enjoy your title.

NB

ryanruck

Do the math . You're openly breaking the contract you signed when you bought the truck.
No he isn't. And it's probably not appropriate to go calling other members .......

Also, EUC has zero applicability to registration. Only export.

http://www.govplanet.com/buyer-faq?kwtag=navbar

Are HMMWVs street-legal?

Not to start with. HMMWVs from the DLA cannot be taken on the road until you meet your state’s vehicle inspection requirements, and receive a state title and registration from your local DMV or State titling authority. However, some HMMWVs are sold on consignment, where the previous owner may already received proper titling and registration. Not all states will accept out of state titling documents on HMMWVs or other Former Military Vehicles. Please ensure that you contact your state titling/registration authority for your individual state’s requirements.

gsp45

Boys you're on thin ice with this subject. Could the Mods please remind those that keep delving into this subject and delete this thread. Tired of hearing about it.

tage

Boys you're on thin ice with this subject. Could the Mods please remind those that keep delving into this subject and delete this thread. Tired of hearing about it.
Some can't read rules/regs. That's on them.

As stated above. You may have gotten one over on them now, but when they come... They come down hard.

Personally I don't have any ****s to give about some civvie buying a hmmwv, then posting here against the rules how he got a title, and feeling guilty about it.

Does my hmmwv have a title? Yes. Does it have on road registration? **** no warrior. Contracts are not just a bunch of words that are on paper. They have consequences.

jeepsguy

Most VA DMV's are a crapshoot as far as knowing how to do what you need. Some issues may require a visit to DMV HQ in Richmond. There's a nice lady in the title section who can solve most issues.

Duster06

I think the intent of my message was not clear. My goal when I went to the DMV was to get some guidance on how to do this system legally and start off with an off road title for the time being. Somehow that is not what happened and I was looking for some wingman support to make sure that I was acting in the legal and correct manner. I appreciate the comments, on both sides. As far as the antique plates go, as I understand it they are for old vehicles who do not meet current safety standards, but the state allows them to be driven in parades, club usage, and the occasional pleasure cruise. Never to be used as a daily driver. It sounds like in the state of Virginia, I meet the qualifications and can legally operate in this manner. If you disagree, please let me know as this is my primary concern.

As far as normal on road titles go, I assess the root cause of the discussion to be with each person's personal understanding of the EUC. Some think it is absolute, while others believe that the vehicle is not currently road worthy, but can be modified so. I think getting to the root cause can solve this age old debate. If I were to take a guess as someone who knows contracts, I would guess that govplanet sells every hummer as off road use only because it is cheaper, easier, and removes them from liability in case of an accident involving a piece of junk scrap pit that they sold someone. That is neither here nor there though right now. The fact that it is up for discussion by definition opens loopholes that could be exploited in court...on both sides so be careful.

For those who wish for this feed to be deleted: 1) if you feel the need to hide your activities or success, I question the legality of your actions. 2) Bro, relax. The police arnt going to knock down your door in the morning looking for "Hummerguy69" because of some forum you chatted in.

Tage: chillax brah, have a beer
Ryan: thanks for posting factual evidence that is not an opinion. I appreciate it. That is a very interesting claus that I seem to have missed.
Jeepguy: I'm interested in talking to this lady. Do you have any further contact info?

I expect that most of us are current or prior military men (I know Tage is based on his hate for "civies") so I know that you all understand when I say that I like to be blunt and direct. Don't misinterpret the tone of my message to be hostile or insulting. I'm just an average joe looking for direct answers. I equally have thick skin.

-Duster

Btw, thanks guys for all of the help and advice with replacing my fuel system! It works great! Now all I have to do is figure out why I don't have any oil pressure...🙁

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the intent of my message was not clear. My goal when I went to the DMV was to get some guidance on how to do this system legally and start off with an off road title for the time being. Somehow that is not what happened and I was looking for some wingman support to make sure that I was acting in the legal and correct manner. I appreciate the comments, on both sides. As far as the antique plates go, as I understand it they are for old vehicles who do not meet current safety standards, but the state allows them to be driven in parades, club usage, and the occasional pleasure cruise. Never to be used as a daily driver. It sounds like in the state of Virginia, I meet the qualifications and can legally operate in this manner. If you disagree, please let me know as this is my primary concern.

As far as normal on road titles go, I assess the root cause of the discussion to be with each person's personal understanding of the EUC. Some think it is absolute, while others believe that the vehicle is not currently road worthy, but can be modified so. I think getting to the root cause can solve this age old debate. If I were to take a guess as someone who knows contracts, I would guess that govplanet sells every hummer as off road use only because it is cheaper, easier, and removes them from liability in case of an accident involving a piece of junk scrap pit that they sold someone. That is neither here nor there though right now. The fact that it is up for discussion by definition opens loopholes that could be exploited in court...on both sides so be careful.

For those who wish for this feed to be deleted: 1) if you feel the need to hide your activities or success, I question the legality of your actions. 2) Bro, relax. The police arnt going to knock down your door in the morning looking for "Hummerguy69" because of some forum you chatted in.

Tage: chillax brah, have a beer
Ryan: thanks for posting factual evidence that is not an opinion. I appreciate it. That is a very interesting claus that I seem to have missed.
Jeepguy: I'm interested in talking to this lady. Do you have any further contact info?

I expect that most of us are current or prior military men (I know Tage is based on his hate for "civies") so I know that you all understand when I say that I like to be blunt and direct. Don't misinterpret the tone of my message to be hostile or insulting. I'm just an average joe looking for direct answers. I equally have thick skin.

-Duster

Btw, thanks guys for all of the help and advice with replacing my fuel system! It works great! Now all I have to do is figure out why I don't have any oil pressure...
1. Don't think that big brother doesn't monitor forums.

2. It is a DLA requirement in GP's contract , not a GP requirment.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Do the math.You're openly breaking the contract you signed when you bought the truck.
Would you guys stop with this nonsense PLEASE!. There is no contract having to do with titling. The contract to which you are referring is a contract that you will hold GP harmless. You might want to check the FAQ page on the GP site before you and others keep perpetrating the myth you signed a contract that has anything to do with titling or registering YOUR POSSESSION.

FAQ#6
ARE HMMWV'S STREET LEGAL:
Not to start with. HMMWVs from the DLA cannot be taken on the road until you meet your state’s vehicle inspection requirements, and receive a state title and registration from your local DMV or State titling authority. However, some HMMWVs are sold on consignment, where the previous owner may already received proper titling and registration. Not all states will accept out of state titling documents on HMMWVs or other Former Military Vehicles. Please ensure that you contact your state titling/registration authority for your individual state’s requirements.

Last edited:

Sintorion

Would you guys stop with this nonsense PLEASE!. There is no contract having to do with titling. The contract to which you are referring is a contract that you will hold GP harmless. You might want to check the FAQ page on the GP site before you and others keep perpetrating the myth you signed a contract that has anything to do with titling or registering YOUR POSSESSION.

FAQ#6
Totally agree. While I am not shocked that people that work at DMV are ignorant on the subject, it blows my mind that people that post here are such. There was no way that mine was street legal when I bought it. It didn't have seat belts. It was missing headlights. There were probably 4 or 5 other things that had to be fixed before I could drive it to the DMV office where they inspected it and issued a valid Florida title. The inspector who did my inspection is the same person that inspects vehicles to issue salvage titles and allows them to be registered as road worthy. I am 100% in compliance with Florida motor vehicle rules and regulations.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

FAQ#6

WAIVER AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT
THIS AGREEMENT
entered into effective the
date signed
, is made by and
between ______________________ ("Buyer”) and in fav
or of GovPlanet ("GP") and the U.S.
Defense Logistics Agency Disposition Services (“DLA
Disposition Services”).
WHEREAS
, on
date of sale
, Buyer purchased from GP a certain AM General
HMMWV Serial #
serial number
(“Humvee”) currently located at
city,
state
(the “Premises”).
WHEREAS
, to take physical possession of the Humvee, Buyer
intends to enter upon the
Premises and transport the Humvee out of and off of
the Premises to a site of its own
determination.
NOW, THEREFORE,
intending to be legally bound, with respect to Buye
r’s ownership
and retrieval of the Humvee from the Premises, Buye
r does hereby agree as follows:
1. Buyer acknowledges that the Humvee is not roadwo
rthy and agrees that Humvee is for
off-highway use only.
2. Buyer acknowledges and agrees that neither GP no
r DLA Disposition Services will have
any liability to Buyer or third persons for any dam
ages of any kind whatsoever arising
directly or indirectly from Buyer’s use of the Humv
ee or in connection with this
Agreement. Buyer shall be responsible for, and GP
and DLA Disposition Services shall
have no liability whatsoever for, any claims, suits
, actions, proceedings, losses, costs,
expenses or liabilities of whatever nature (present
or future and environmental or
otherwise) arising out of or in any way connected w
ith Buyer’s use of the Humvee,
regardless of the cause, and including any alleged
fault or negligence of GP or DLA
Disposition Services.
3. The Humvee is made available to Buyer on an “
AS IS WHERE IS”
basis only and neither
GP nor DLA Disposition Services makes any guarantee
s, representations or warranties,
expressed or implied, statutory or otherwise, of an
y kind whatsoever, including, without
limitation, non-infringement, merchantability or fi
tness for a particular purpose, and GP
and DLA Disposition Services expressly disclaim all
warranties with respect thereto.
4. Buyer agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harml
ess GP and DLA Disposition Services
and their subsidiaries and affiliates, their respec
tive owners, directors, employees,
representatives, agents and attorneys and all perso
ns acting by, through or in concert
with them or any of them from and against any and
all claims, suits, actions,
proceedings, losses, costs, expenses or liabilities
of whatever nature arising out of or in
any way connected with Buyer’s use, control, operat
ion, maintenance, service, or repair
of the Humvee after delivery thereof to Buyer or fr
om any other cause including the
alleged condition of the Humvee or any claimed faul
t or negligence of GP or DLA
Disposition Services.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF,
the Buyer has executed this Agreement on the date l
ast
written below.
Buyer Name
By:
Name:
Date:

So are you guys that are registering and using these on the road carrying a rider policy to cover lawsuits against GP/DLA as it looks as your required to defend them in any lawsuits ? (item #4 )

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The bottom line is, on the signed, "WAIVER AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT is #1 Buyer acknowledges that the Humvee is not roadworthy and agrees that Humvee is for off-highway use only. "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks