• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TM for American Kleaner steam cleaner

sermis

I am looking for the TM for an American Kleaner Steam / power washer.
NSN# 4940-00-186-0027.
Has anyone ever converted one from 208 volts to 120 volts?
Looking at it there is a 208 volt transformer but everything inside is marked for 120 volts so I am guessing that all the transformer did was convert the 208 down to 120.
Does anyone carry parts?

mangus580

Let me look at home... I 'just' picked one of these cleaners up friday. I have a TM for it on my laptop. What I have found so far, is, its 208/220 single phase. (house voltage). I suspect the motor is the high voltage, and the controls are all 110v. Can you snap some pics of yours for me? I would be intrested in seeing it.

BTW, American Kleaner is still in business under a different name, begins with K, and has some of their product in Northern Tool catalogs. (just cant remember the name)

mangus580

Looks just like mine.... but you got yours alot cheaper!! we paid 260...

do you have the pressure hose and wand for yours?

sermis

I have one hose that is in the pic. No wand but I know where I can get one, free.
Mine is missing a switch from the panel and something that was mounted next to the transformer inside of the control box. It is also missing something from inside of the firing transformer, part that fires the diesel, possibly some type of ballast.

mangus580

If you can, get pics of the areas where you are missing stuff.... I will get pics of the same areas... so you can get a better idea. The TM I have is for the same model, but its layed out a little different, so it might be kinda hard to follow when trying to figure out what the parts are.

Keep in mind, these are considerably lower PSI than a standard pressure washer.... :-(

sermis

Seamed like a small motor to have much PSI but I thought the steam would work pretty good for cleaning and getting off old paint.

poppop

My buddy won one just like these from GL and brought it home yesterday. It shows ten hours on the meter but has no smoke stains or heat marks. Its new and been stored inside untill recently. It is missing the fuel tank. Price sticker is still on it. The Government paid just under $6000.00 for it and my friend got ot for $80.00. We bought an older one together a year ago and he found a store in Savannah that has parts and they made copies of pages out of the operators manual for him.

robertsears1

I have 2 MX-2 cleaners (single gun hot water/steam). They have several interlocks and can be tricky to run. I have only run mine in the hot water mode (~225-250 degrees C), possibly got one to work in the steam mode once (~350 C). The pump is some kind of Cat pump similar to what is used in car washes. I once saw 500 C in the hot water mode as I was running away but the pressure relief did work that time. The main switch is made by Bremas (Italy) and can get real stiff. If you dowse it well with WD40, that should loosen it up. I believe on both of mine, I had to replace the transformer for the burner. It is a stock item for house furnaces burning heating oil. Most items are off the shelf. Like I said, the main switch may have been a custom item (seems like it is a 1602 or something in that ballpark). Make sure the hoses are not rotten since live steam will mess you up bad. Be sitting down if you price exact replacement hose. Someone on eBay sells a steam hose that is not crazy expensive, made by Goodyear I think. The fittings must be for steam. It degreases equipment pretty well but it is not a magic wand, you still need something like Greased Lightning or Purple Stuff to loosen up the grease/oil.

I bought a M17MCHF that is simpler for me to use. The worst problem is getting the burner to light. Mine was modified by the Navy to burn Diesel. When the burner finally lights, you can hide a house in the smoke cloud and it will roar because usually there is a surplus of fuel in the combustion chamber. I have run it over 30 hours now. I have great pictures on my iPad but am too stupid to shrink them down to fit since I always end up with a little section from the upper corner that doesn't show anything.

Robert

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks